Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times

Advertisements

Although not a little Italy, I'm surprised no one has mentioned San Pedro. There is a large population of Italian descendants in San Pedro and Rancho PV. Many Italian immigrants settled in the area years ago and became a big part of the, all but now gone, commercial fishing industry in Pedro and Long Beach.

Unfortunately, there is little that remains of the local Italian culture that was there 20-yrs ago. And yes, I know, I married into an Italian fishing family. Ciao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I read somwhere a while back that Chinatown (before it was Chinatown of course) used to be the center of Italian culture in LA.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I read somwhere a while back that Chinatown (before it was Chinatown of course) used to be the center of Italian culture in LA.
But alas, eating spaghetti with chopsticks may be feasible, but just not what most people want to do.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM

10 posts, read 73,274 times
The same thing is pretty much happened or is happening in Chicago. Back in the late 60s the most of main "Little Italy" was demolished for the University of Illinois of Chicago, and Public housing, same thing with Cabrini Green(it use to be mostly Silican). Now where the projects were built, they have been torn down and turned into million dollar townhomes and lofts.In other neighborhoods where there was a large percentage of Italian, the city bought up and subsidized it, or it has been other taken by yuppies. Most of the Italians in Chicago have moved out into the suburbs and really don't have any connection to their backround. And the only history thats ever mention about Italians in Chicago, are stories about Al Capone and mobsters. So almost everyone pretty much assumes Italian Chicagoans have connections to the mob.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
Does Los Angeles have a "Little Italy"?
go check out the san antonio winery off of main st & the 5 intersection. from past visits there, i seem to recall that there were once vineyards(maddalena) there, but now a restaturant and wine store. you can eat there and buy and sample wines.
it's a fun lunch crowd.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
Does Los Angeles have a "Little Italy"?
If you are looking for Italy, Ha go to Italy.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
If you are looking for Italy, Ha go to Italy.
Good one...

Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM

23 posts, read 109,760 times
Default Il Compare'

I Really Am Glad I Found This Particular Forum.i Live Upstate Ny Now,but I Grew Up In Long Beach Calif.during The Mid To Late 50s.both Of My Parents Are Italian And Every Weekend Was A Ritualistic Shopping Experience.we Would Go To Pinnochios Italian Deli In Lakewood,near Del Amo And Then To Santa Fe Importers, I Think In North Long Beach,and Maybe Once A Month Down To San Pedro To The Fish Market On The Wharf.there Wer A Couple Of Brothers From Italy And They Used To Sell Baccala,dried Codfish And All Kinds Of Seafood.i Liked The Smoked Swordfish,was Fresh Off The Boat As Was All Of The Fish And Those Were The Days.no One Really Did Not Have Much Money,so We As A Family,would Go Down To San Pedro And Play On Those Sea Rocks With Holes In Them,not To Far From The Fish Market.my Parents Got Married Down In Wilmington After They Left New York.and What A Trip Down Memmory Lane.my Uncle Pasquale Had Quite A Few Beauty Shops In And Around Long Beach And Downey,at That Time .and My Uncle Frank Was A Barber In Lakewood.so I Would Say There Was A Scattering Of Italians,spread Out Like A Rolling Pin(pardon The Pun)in And Around Long Beach,lakewood,and I Think Mostly In San Pedro And Wilmington.i Think Those Areas Near The Water Reminded Them Of The Old Country.i'm Sitting Here Crying While Typing...lots Of Good Memories Always.and We Should Never,ever Forget Where We Came From.my Uncle Pat Said To The Whole Family After My Grammas Funeral That When We Lose The Matriarch Of The Family,it Is Kinda Hard To Keep Everyone Glued Anymore.i Would Love To Hear Some Fond Memories From All Of You,because In All Of Our Hearts There Will Always Be A Little Italyciao!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM

23 posts, read 109,760 times
hello ,i Wa S Inspired By Your Comment Here, To Add A Little Flavor To The Story.i Loved Going To San Pedro And The Market When I Was Young.the Aroma Was The Essence Of The Fresh,clean Air Way Back Then!il Compare' TOJLGJR

Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Haven't any of you heard the joke, when Italian Americans have a get together in Los Angeles they meet in a broom closet.lol That about sums it up too. Finding a good Italian restaurant in Los Angeles is a lot like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Most Italians restaurants here are owned by middle eastern people who don't know jack about cooking Italian food! I guess its because they cook it halala or what ever the word is all I know its terrible.:-(

When I want to eat good Italian I cook it myself or I go to mom's house.:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles