Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times

Advertisements

The majority of vehicles in the carpool lane appear to be electric vehicles, occupied by a single person. Drives me wild that we give these people a tax break to voluntarily purchase a new electric vehicle AND the privilege of passing those that cannot afford it.

Asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
The majority of vehicles in the carpool lane appear to be electric vehicles, occupied by a single person. Drives me wild that we give these people a tax break to voluntarily purchase a new electric vehicle AND the privilege of passing those that cannot afford it.

Asinine.
i don't know where you're driving, but where i drive the carpool lane is rarely moving any faster than traffic in the other lanes.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:47 PM

817 posts, read 752,528 times
What really chaps my ass, is that they have all this room to double up the carpool lanes on a lot of freeways, yet it's wasted on medians that are too wide and space that is unused

Old 09-16-2016, 03:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Are you sure about traffic school? I thought getting caught in the lane was not a moving violation. I know that cutting the yellow lines is a moving violation, but not simply being in the lane by yourself. Am I wrong?

For a lot of people, a $500 fine is not a lot of money. If you're rich you can afford it. If you have a good job you can work a little overtime to pay it.
You're probably right on the moving violation.

Most of the very wealthy people I know here(including a TV actress) don't like parting with money....LOL. At times I have been taken aback about how "tight" they are. Even over buying minor items when they could afford to buy everything in the store and the building itself.

I think most of the people doing this are late getting somewhere and figure they will chance it, not that they're so wealthy they can throw money out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm talking about weekday rush hour but yes I would say only 1 or 2 out of every 10 cars have more than one person

Old 09-16-2016, 03:23 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
I've seen it on the 405 in the mornings - and I've seen plenty of people pulled over for it. CHP actually sits up there and watches for it.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i don't know where you're driving, but where i drive the carpool lane is rarely moving any faster than traffic in the other lanes.
Primarily on the 10, 110, 210. The car pool lane moves significantly faster. Maybe +20mph avg?

My argument is if we revoked permission for single-occupant electric vehicles, those that use the carpool lane in the traditional manner would have less congestion to fight.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Primarily on the 10, 110, 210. The car pool lane moves significantly faster. Maybe +20mph avg?

My argument is if we revoked permission for single-occupant electric vehicles, those that use the carpool lane in the traditional manner would have less congestion to fight.
Yep. On my commutes on the 5 the Carpool lane will be constantly moving at at least 40 mph while every other lane is at a standstill

Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM

817 posts, read 752,528 times
I disagree with the electric vehicle argument. It's a new technology and that is an incentive to get on board with it. Honestly, the cars don't sell that well, and you can acquire them for 150 to $250 a month. Just look at all the lease specials in the newspapers. Nobody buys these cars, everybody leases them, and then gets the state rebate as well. ( full disclosure, I have one and I'm not giving up my benefit)

This may turn into an issue with the Tesla Model 3 though however. That will be an affordable car, with a high range, and should sell in good numbers.

But for the most part, carpool lanes move faster than the regular freeway in most times and in most places. Only the busiest freeways during the busiest times get clogged up.

And it's no joke about all carpool lanes becoming toll lanes in the future. They have already discussed it, and the 10 and the 110 are pilot projects. The only way to unclog the lanes is to pull a Disneyland. You keep raising the price and so fewer people can get in

Old 09-16-2016, 05:20 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
I disagree with the electric vehicle argument. It's a new technology and that is an incentive to get on board with it. Honestly, the cars don't sell that well, and you can acquire them for 150 to $250 a month. Just look at all the lease specials in the newspapers. Nobody buys these cars, everybody leases them, and then gets the state rebate as well. ( full disclosure, I have one and I'm not giving up my benefit)

This may turn into an issue with the Tesla Model 3 though however. That will be an affordable car, with a high range, and should sell in good numbers.

But for the most part, carpool lanes move faster than the regular freeway in most times and in most places. Only the busiest freeways during the busiest times get clogged up.

And it's no joke about all carpool lanes becoming toll lanes in the future. They have already discussed it, and the 10 and the 110 are pilot projects. The only way to unclog the lanes is to pull a Disneyland. You keep raising the price and so fewer people can get in
You can buy Nissan Leafs all day for like $6000 used. Nobody wants them. Eventually they will take away HOV exemption like they did with hybrids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: