Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:05 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

It's not that Los Angeles gets hotter than other places in the summer--it clearly doesn't. It's that the warm-to-hot weather seems to last forever. The Midwest and East Coast may have horrendous summers, but people know that by October at the latest, it will have cooled down and they will get some relief. No such guarantee here. There is no time of the year when one can reliably count on cool weather and no heat waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 PM

27 posts, read 49,245 times
Yes, the only time there is any decent expectation of cool weather is January through March in inland So Cal. Fall is mostly hot, with Santa Ana winds. Halloween is almost always hot. As a kid in the San Fernando Valley I remember baking on the hot asphalt at school -- in September and October. The too-hot weather is a 6 month stint. I live in Temecula now, which is similar to the Valley, but better, and summer is still always uncomfortably hot. You don't generally get very active in the middle of the day when it's high 90's or over 100, "dry" heat or not.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:43 AM

270 posts, read 325,534 times
The level of heat can vary greatly depending on where you are in the LA area; the Valley can be 20 degrees warmer than the coast.

It's more humid than it used to be, but nothing compared to, say, the South.

Much as saibot said, the warm sunny weather can be quite monotonous; some people love that, but others don't.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:21 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
I live in Santa Monica, near the Ocean, and it's still too hot for me. Anything 60 degrees or over is too hot. And way too sunny. Always with the sun. Not enough June Gloom to satisfy me.

I used to live in New York City. Summers were worse in NYC than in L.A., because of NYC's torrid humidity. During NYC summers, even at night it was in the 80s and felt like a sauna.

But in recent years, L.A. has gotten pretty humid during the summer. At least in Santa Monica.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree321 View Post
I love almost everything about LA but the idea of constant heat and sun gives me nightmares.

How hot is Los Angeles? Is it really bad? Is the sun so bad that you avoid going out?

Are the hottest months unbearable?

Thanks!
that depends on what you call unbearable? It has been years since we lived in L.A. but most of the time we were there we lived in San Gabriel Valley, the hottest part of the region. Aug and Sept could be pretty uncomfortable but not like Phoenix, Palm Springs, Vegas, etc. Everything is air conditioned of course and the climate is relatively dry. OK, dry or humid, when temps reach above 95 it is hot!!! The only time it is so hot you want to stay inside is from about noon to late afternoon, just like anywhere else in the country pretty much.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's not hot in LA. Outside of the SFV anyway.

Don't live in or ever go to Woodland Hills, OP.
David, how about San Gabriel Valley? I would say both valleys get pretty hot.

ryanms: We lived 7 years in NoVA, the summers were really pretty nice, even with the humidity. We rarely saw a day much above 90. I don't know where you lived in VA or when you lived there.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:40 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
David, how about San Gabriel Valley? I would say both valleys get pretty hot.
Yes. I was mostly speaking about LA proper in my orig. response.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes. I was mostly speaking about LA proper in my orig. response.
ok, understand now: I just always think of Los Angeles,, as anyplace in the county and even much of Orange County. You are right, SGV isn't actually Los Angeles.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I live in Santa Monica, near the Ocean, and it's still too hot for me. Anything 60 degrees or over is too hot. And way too sunny. Always with the sun. Not enough June Gloom to satisfy me.

I used to live in New York City. Summers were worse in NYC than in L.A., because of NYC's torrid humidity. During NYC summers, even at night it was in the 80s and felt like a sauna.

But in recent years, L.A. has gotten pretty humid during the summer. At least in Santa Monica.
I've lived in other places, including Manhattan and Washington, DC where summers were miserable. Let's not even talk about winters. So, nope, I'm not complaining about the weather here in the greater LA area (South OC for me). I love it.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree321 View Post
I love almost everything about LA but the idea of constant heat and sun gives me nightmares.

How hot is Los Angeles? Is it really bad? Is the sun so bad that you avoid going out?

Are the hottest months unbearable?

Thanks!
On the positive side, the women are much hotter too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles