Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post

Why the double standard and (more importantly) why the hell doesn't anybody point it out?
You just did.

[shrug]

Old 09-30-2016, 05:12 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
So,

I've been noticing that several businesses only hire hispanic employee's.

There is nothing specifically hispanic about these businesses, i'm talking your VONS, Your Pavillions, Your Ralphs, Your Staples, your post offices, your banks, etc.

How is it not total discrimination against blacks, asians and whites when this happens? But if a business hired only white people, it's immediately called racial discrimination?

Why the double standard and (more importantly) why the hell doesn't anybody point it out?
Quote:
Where do you guys live?
Where do you live? At my local Ralphs, it seems that there is a very good ethnic mix of employees there. Same with the Ralphs a bit up the road in the same city. I havent bothered to count but I know there are blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, armenians, russians, persians, etc. all there. In fact, I havent noticed at all at any of the places you mentioned where they seem to "only hire hispanic employee's" as you said above.

If I were go up north a bit to the Food For Less on Sherman Way and Woodley I noticed that almost 100% of the employees were spanish. Same for the Vallarta market 100% spanish.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:16 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Same for the Vallarta market 100% spanish.
^This may be a surprise for the OP.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,282 times
You have to look at the demographics of the entire region, not just the city or neighborhood in question. These days, a lot of people may not work where they live. Since Southern California as a whole is over 50% Hispanic, this should not be a shock. Also, not to knock another race, but the jobs in question may have something to do with it as well. To give a similar example, the Atlanta suburb that I work in is over 70% White, yet the majority of retail and fast food workers here are African-American. I am African-American myself with a Hispanic aunt, so neither of these scenarios bother me.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:46 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,218 times
This traveler maybe have not travel enough around SoCal

Old 09-30-2016, 05:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,289 times
It varies depending on location. OP, you need to get out more.

Spoiler
And it should be "employees," not employee's." Never add an apostrophe to make a noun plural.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM

508 posts, read 503,747 times
Quote:
Well, the demographics are as follows.

54% White alone.

3% African American alone

American Indian- 0.4%

31% Asian Alone

Two or more races 5.5%

18% Hispanic

So, as you can see, it has nothing to do with there being more Hispanics here than anybody else though I do believe blacks are slightly under-represented here.
What neighborhood is this?

This is post is the work of a sea lion. They don't actually care for a real answer. Just to rile trigger happy racist. If you are a smart individual, do not fall for this.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:29 PM

127 posts, read 223,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Threw out America, I've realized in "diverse" environments stores usually hire a certain race. For example I live in burien, a suburb of Seattle. It is really "diverse". Some stores are all black, some are all Mexican, some are white, some are kinda mixed so I think it has to do with the owners. I've noticed Asian store owners/managers usually hire other Asians.
However, I rarely if ever see "all white" businesses at all.

I believe that if this were the case they would have racial discrimination lawsuits thrown right at them.

So my question was, in an area clearly not dominated by hispanics, why do these businesses only hire hispanics?

I have theories but I want to hear other peoples theories first.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Many businesses allow employees to recommend their friends or family members when new jobs open up. As a consequence, it is quite likely that new employees share some race or culture with the old employees. This has been going on forever.

Even when a business makes a public advertisement, they are going to choose someone that "passes the interview".

There are a lot of entertainment businesses in LA that have way more white people that you would expect given the demographics. There are a lot of tech businesses that have way more Asians that you would expect. Sometimes it is racism. Sometimes it is just friends hiring friends. Usually it is a bit of both.
That is kind of playing favoritism though in the hiring process isn't it?

Someone once told me that once a mexican becomes Manager he will then begin to weed out all non-mexicans in the work place till he is left with close to 100% mexican employee's.

I get what you mean about the entertainment businesses though.

It might be why I have an easier time meeting and talking to new people around West Hollywood than in places like Monrovia, for example.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I hope OP realizes that Southern California is ~ 50%+ Latino.
So 50% Latino means 100% latino hiring practices for so many businesses? It doesn't add up. I think demographically Asians and blacks must be a little under-represented. Because I see a lot of Asians where I live.

Quote:
I'm venturing a guess he is in a particular San Gabriel Valley suburb.
Good guess, however, there are still a ton of Asians here, and I would venture to say they are under-represented by demographics counts.

Quote:
Since we aren't politically correct ITT, I'm going to venture a guess that many of the Whites/Asians he sees not working at Vons are working jobs that aren't in the working class.
Since we're not being politically correct here i'm going to venture to guess you assume that Hispanics are more hard working than Asians, blacks or whites and i'm gonna go ahead and continue the politically incorrect trend of calling that complete BS.

Quote:
The only constant in life is change OP. If you want 1950's LA, it's in Utah somewhere.
Hahaha you're talking to a young man, but you wouldn't know that since your politically CORRECT assumption is that anybody who asks any questions like these must be an old, white Trump Supporter, eh?

*BUZZZZ* Wrong.

Try that political polarity crap on someone less sophisticated my *****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles