Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,825 times

Advertisements

Any links where someone could learn about this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM

141 posts, read 754,266 times
Tampa's pollution has gotten steadily worse over the years too...going south on 275 you can hardly make out the buildings!! And we live in a flat-land!!

Of course I know it could never compare to L.A.'s problem...

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Tampa's pollution has gotten steadily worse over the years too...going south on 275 you can hardly make out the buildings!! And we live in a flat-land!!

Of course I know it could never compare to L.A.'s problem...
What you just described is worse than LA, how you you then, in the next breath diss LA?

Duh

Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
It was just trigonometry, but that assumes a vacuum. With atmosphere there is light diffraction which could mean someone could actually "see" on the other side of the horizon. The best way to check this out is to stand on the beach and look at a boat way out there.

Color - Diffraction And Interference

Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 PM

37 posts, read 149,411 times
Default What stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Learn about what stuff? Air pollution - I just go to the EPA website - or google air pollution worst cities, and L.A. comes up. I'm glad it's better than it used to be though.

to learn about visual distances, just some basic geometry/physics.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM

132 posts, read 596,571 times
Los Angelkes leads the world in Anti pollution technology and that is why smog is almost a non-issue here. The smog level has been lowered by 50% in the last 25 years. In the 50's - the 70's you had many 3rd stage smog alerts (on a scale from 1-3, 3 the worst). There hasn't been any stage 3's in 15 years!
When I was a kid growuing up in Huntington Beach, you could see the San Gabriel mountains maybe 50 times a year.
NOW HARDLY a day goes by that you can't see the mountains!!!! At least 320 days a year. In fact Houston took the honors as most smoggiest in 2 separate years recently. And believe it or not Denver, also in a basin situation has horrific smog, worse than Los Angeles.
Many people mistake the normal ocean overcast moisture haze (fog) for smog here. It is blue and doesn't smell. Smog is yellow and brown.
That's really frustrating. That's ocean influence, HELLO!!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
Los Angelkes leads the world in Anti pollution technology and that is why smog is almost a non-issue here. The smog level has been lowered by 50% in the last 25 years. In the 50's - the 70's you had many 3rd stage smog alerts (on a scale from 1-3, 3 the worst). There hasn't been any stage 3's in 15 years!
When I was a kid growuing up in Huntington Beach, you could see the San Gabriel mountains maybe 50 times a year.
NOW HARDLY a day goes by that you can't see the mountains!!!! At least 320 days a year. In fact Houston took the honors as most smoggiest in 2 separate years recently. And believe it or not Denver, also in a basin situation has horrific smog, worse than Los Angeles.
Many people mistake the normal ocean overcast moisture haze (fog) for smog here. It is blue and doesn't smell. Smog is yellow and brown.
All very true. I couldn't have said it better myself.
There haven't been any stage 3 smog alerts for a long time; there were quite a few in the 1970s and earlier.

The Los Angeles basin has a natural haze; many people confuse it with "smog" which it isn't.

Sure, there is some smog around, but it isn't as bad as many people claim and in some parts of L.A., the air quality isn't bad at all.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Everyone has heard about the bad air of los angeles, I have been to Dallas many times and houston a few times, la, houston, and dfw are all in the top 10 most polluted metropolitan areas of the nation if I am not mistaken. I have never felt uncomfortable breathing dallas air...do healthy people have bad reactions to la air? can the la air impair your health (supposedly, breathing mexico city's air is like smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day), I know that la has much more stringent pollution controls, but is it health threatening to breathe it in?
Thank You

On any given day, you can see the air. How's that for an answer.

Can you see the air where you are?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
From Huntington Beach, the San Gabriel mountains are barely visible most days. And yes, its yellow/brown. It takes a windy day to see the mountains clearly from here.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM

81 posts, read 327,091 times
Default you have got to be kidding.

la has the worst air in the country. make no mistake about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf poll.pdf (325.5 KB, 625 views)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles