Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times

Advertisements

The EPA defines moderate air quality as follows "Unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion." Doesn't sound too alarming to me.

AIRNow - Home

Above is a map of the whole country.

Trust me, I'm all for improving the air quality. I'll also be the first to admit LA does NOT have the cleanest air in the country. What I'm also saying is that I don't believe the air quality in a good part of LA is poor enough to be a reason not to move here. The Inland Empire... maybe it's bad enough there to deter me. I just want to make sure people who visit this site are able to get two sides to the argument. I totally understand where you guys are coming from though. Debate is good.

Besides, wouldn't you rather deal with LA smog than SF smug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:29 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
The EPA defines moderate air quality as follows "Unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion." Doesn't sound too alarming to me.

AIRNow - Home

Trust me, I'm all for improving the air quality. I'll also be the first to admit LA does NOT have the cleanest air in the country. What I'm also saying is that I don't believe the air quality in a good part of LA is poor enough to be a reason not to move here. The Inland Empire... maybe it's bad enough there to deter me. I just want to make sure people who visit this site are able to get two sides to the argument. I totally understand where you guys are coming from though. Debate is good.

I would take the weather in SF ANY day over that of LA... SF is far more moist, and gets much more rain, which cleans the air more often, and reduces allergies... SF has WAY better air quality than LA.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
I would take the weather in SF ANY day over that of LA... SF is far more moist, and gets much more rain, which cleans the air more often, and reduces allergies... SF has WAY better air quality than LA.
San Francisco doesn't get that much more rain than LA.
LA averages about 15" a year and, according to weather.com, SF averages 22.28" a year.

Also, some of the surrounding cities in the LA area get about the same rainfall as SF. For instance, Tujunga, at an elevation of 1,800 feet, receives an average of 22.45" a year.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM

202 posts, read 872,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post

AIRNow - Home

That's all I'm saying, If people are not aware of the true facts then it's impossible to make an educated choice. Plus, the more people are educated the more political will there will be to change the situation.

Peoples interpretation does vary depending upon location, I agree.

I can understand that you are okay with the air quality in your area for yourself. I mean obviously if you weren't then you would pick up and move.
I think that different people have different tolerance levels for air pollution.

One of the biggest problems is that the scientific data regarding health affects is not complete. There are many studies that link pollutants to cancer and mental problems but they aren't all conclusive.

Just like cigarettes in the beginning, no one fully understood the health affects.

I know one thing for sure (from self monitoring) when the air is bad, it makes me feel bad (energy levels, headache, irritability,) I even notice a slight increase in blood pressure. Also the lack of visibility and ugliness of it, has a depressing psychological effect on me.

Doesn't mean that everyday the air is bad is a bad day, but it definitely has a major effect on my day. It's the first thing I look at everyday when I go outside. When I was younger I didn't care as much, but now i am starting to care much more about things like that.

Anyway, I would love to see the day when all of SoCal has zero air pollution, that would be awesome! That is a big part of the reason I find it so important that people understand and are aware of the health effects, because the more educated we all are, the more likely we are to elect leaders that will make the changes.

I used to not care about it at all, part of reason was because I knew nothing about it.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:30 PM

130 posts, read 524,404 times
i just wanted to say, that if u have a white car and u park it on the street for a week in los angeles there will be a thin layer of black soot over the entire car. u have to agree that "something" is not right in the air?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
There is a layer that will form over your vehicle, but it is only black when there are wildfires locally. I've only seen a brownish soot and most of it is from dust. Unless you live in an incredibly industrial area, I doubt your claim.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
There is a layer that will form over your vehicle, but it is only black when there are wildfires locally. I've only seen a brownish soot and most of it is from dust. Unless you live in an incredibly industrial area, I doubt your claim.
Is Orange County (Urban Anaheim and Santa Ana) much cleaner than Los Angeles or is it the same? Why is the IE supposed to be so polluted...I see all this stuff about how bad the air is out there...could you please explain,
Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
The Inland Empire is so polluted, because that's where all of the metropolitan smog gets trapped. There is a reason this area is called the L.A. Basin, after all! That area in particular is surrounded by extremely high mountains with very little wind in the summer to clean it out. Add the temperature inversions that are also common in the summer, and you have some of the worst air in the country.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 AM

202 posts, read 872,512 times
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The Inland Empire is so polluted, because that's where all of the metropolitan smog gets trapped. There is a reason this area is called the L.A. Basin, after all! That area in particular is surrounded by extremely high mountains with very little wind in the summer to clean it out. Add the temperature inversions that are also common in the summer, and you have some of the worst air in the country.
You sound like you know more than me about the subject.

Whats a temperature inversion?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
You sound like you know more than me about the subject.

Whats a temperature inversion?
A temperature inversion is a situation where the temperature of the air increases with altitude. Normally temperature decreases with altitude about 3.5F-5F per 1000 feet (I think it depends on humidity). I used to fly private planes and have experienced temperature inversion while descending. It got cooler as we descended. Weird.

Have you ever used wikipedia?

Inversion (meteorology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles