Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times

Advertisements

Hollywood has it's positive and negatives....Remember this isn't the 1950's anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Yeah... this was what I thought Hollywood was all about...

In reality it's more like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:59 PM

It's kinda like the mentality of some people who think everyone in California lives by the beach,english speakers are rare,gang bangers everywhere,ghettos everywhere and were all blondes or millionaires,etc,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees_ View Post
??? So the few homeless people represent the Majority of people in CA? lol Give me a break.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well, ya see that's what I'm talking about. It's as though any criticism is considered "hating" or being salty and bitter over ones own life. That's not the case and I don't know why society has really just resorted to that retort. I said it was a cool vid but it was clearly not a "day in the life" vid but a well planned video to show off their wealth. Nothing wrong with that but it's pretty much Rich Kids of Instagram sort of stuff. I don't know how mentioning that automatically triggers this reaction to think that someone is just envious.

I am not singling you out David, you're cool, but I am just wondering just what triggers that reaction out of people from simple criticism, even if it's just constructive. It may not be just millennials but the spirit of the age is literally, don't question, just do.

It's as though the mantra of today's generation is like Casey Neistat. Another instance was when I saw a guy doing really bad parkour in Santa Monica and almost ended up judo kicking someone in the face. He kept going but he had this special snowflake, I'm just livin', look on his face and he didn't even apologize, he was in his zone. This wasn't a stoned crazed hobo either, he looked like a typical yuppie hipster millennial. I shouted for him to get down and someone in a crowd said, let him live man. I was like the man is terrible, can't balance for crap, he's practicing in a crowded tourist spot, and he almost hit a few people.

It just donned on me then that this generation is literally just unaware or totally doesn't care about others. They see no boundaries, lack social skills, gave a grandiose sense of entitlement and take all criticism as, "why you hatin' bro, life's too short, just live, don't hate on fun." They're all feels, no reason.
Must be the drugs. I blame the drugs.

This is a way tapered down version of what we saw with hair metal in the 80's, or excesses in fashion in the early 2000s. Instead of a rapper standing by the pool with butts everywhere throwing $100s in the pool, they risk their lives in 7 different ways in a 7 minute video. And they live to tell about it. But the butt is still there.

I think it's more visual art and decently good production as opposed to the contents. Alvarrez did a video in Ibiza too, and it looked pretty tame by comparison. Similar theme though, just having a good time that most people only dream of having. Most of the world's idea of a good time is getting drunk by a dirty lake with below average looking people and hoping to get laid. This video would inspire those people (of which there are many). Average Angelenos are not the target audience (everybody is), LA was just used as the backdrop.

This generation craves attention. Nothing can be left un-liked. Nobody's friend request is ignored. It was a big deal getting added to somebody's Buddy List on AOL in 1997. Today, it's all about constant entertainment, including the mundane.

We shan't relate.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
This generation craves attention. Nothing can be left un-liked. Nobody's friend request is ignored. It was a big deal getting added to somebody's Buddy List on AOL in 1997. Today, it's all about constant entertainment, including the mundane.
Bingo. Hit it on the head. This generation can't do anything without it being relevant or big. They don't go into a field unless they can make it big from it. They can't just do, they have to show it off. People have to know of their success. They act as though they're constantly being filmed on reality show, it's bizarre.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
This UK millennial fantasy (of Thailand) outdoes it by a wide margin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCYHldJi_g

Old 10-25-2016, 07:39 PM

I don't get why that's a fantasy, per se? Why do they expect that as a lifestyle? Just work hard and vacation there or somewhere cheaper, find a rental, etc. It's not a Mt. Everest of a feat.

Quote:
Similar theme though, just having a good time that most people only dream of having. Most of the world's idea of a good time is getting drunk by a dirty lake with below average looking people and hoping to get laid.
I have to disagree that these videos are most people's fantasies. Maybe I am just wired differently but the Ibiza, West LA, yada yada thing is not my idea of a fantasy. It's something to experience but not live for me and I highly doubt it is the same for many. MANY more, including myself, would be cool with a bonfire party or near a dirty lake as you've said with friends and their friends. The media likes to sell this instagram image of the millennial party being so extravagant but I really think it's to sell products or lifestyles. Since when has being down to earth turned into mediocrity and settling?

Old 10-25-2016, 10:28 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees_ View Post
??? So the few homeless people represent the Majority of people in CA? lol Give me a break.
Read my second post for clarification. It looks clean in pictures and on TV.... then you get there. It's a dump and very sketchy in some places.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:36 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Grew up in El Segundo. Was not laid back at all, even 15-20 years. Most parents work, kids are latch key kids. There was tons of pressure to go to college, get a high paying job, and what not.

Parents pay so much for housing that kids can't get spoiled. My first car was an 88 mazda b2200 pick up truck. It wad a POS and I traded the guy a power generator for the car.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:05 AM

I also forgot to mention....Those activities/lifestyle in the video is not fantasy.It is realistic in California if you work for it.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I also forgot to mention....Those activities/lifestyle in the video is not fantasy.It is realistic in California if you work for it.
The fantasy is that they're just doing that everyday and not working. But you're right and I touched on the point earlier, why do they need that to be a fantasy? You could work hard, save up and experience all that. I've already done some of what the guy posted and I'm not a millionaire. You don't need big bucks to experience all that but they think that you have live the life style to experience it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles