Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:25 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
...and the Grinch's heart shrunk three times that day!

Shame. I enjoyed Halloween with the kids last night. I like seeing their excited faces behind their masks. After all, it is just one day. My neighbors and I actually just sit on the steps with whatever goodies we have and wait for the kids to walk by. Usually it is a two hour stretch. My biggest problem is usually gaging the dispense rate so I do not run out too soon.

No, nobody is forcing anyone to participate, but it is a shame that so many seem to have a rotten apple attitude about it; but this might just be CD standard. If you haven't participated for a while, I recommend it; IMO you are missing a good time.
???

Our objections are more towards the OP's own attitude. If anyone has an attitude, it's the OP.

Maybe if the OP had politely asked if Angelenos give out candy on Halloween, they would have gotten a nicer response.

How do you know if some of us have out candy last night or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:25 PM

689 posts, read 973,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
All about you huh? How do you know what people have going on?

Maybe the MD with the new car just had a parent pass, or has an ill family member. Maybe he just came from the hospital seeing a patient and having to tell the family this is it.

CVS had some great sales on candy last week, you should have hit them up.

What I don't understand is thinking it's OK to show up uninvited anywhere, Halloween or no Halloween. Someone knocking on your door when you're not expecting anyone is very intrusive.

If people choose not to participate that's THEIR CHOICE.

And aren't you a little long in the tooth for trick or treat anyway?
Wait, so you wrote this, the lambasted me for going out....??

Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Well, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt by writing a balanced, unbiased response looking at both sides of the issue. You answer back with some sort of weird, uncalled for hostility.

You, obviously have an anger problem, hope you're not passing this along to your children. In fact, maybe that's why your neighbors didn't answer the door
LOL....I wasn't the one who started the thread, so I don't know why you're discussing not answering the door.

No anger problem, it's a gorgeous day here in LA.

I pointed out your double standard. When your kids were young you expected your neighbors to stay home and answer the door. Now your kids are grown and you make it a point to not be home for your neighbor's kids nowadays. No anger, just pointing out that fact.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, it is different than Boston, people are nicer here......LOL.

Come on Ryan, you have lived in apartments your whole time in LA until you recently bought a condo out in Santa Clarita.

You didn't live in a house, so you really can't say what Halloween is like in suburban LA areas that are mostly homes.
But the apartments I have lived in were in mixed neighborhoods and with majority of them being houses in Glendale and Sherman Oaks particularly and I didn't see anyone trick or treating in those neighborhoods. But both areas in Glendale and Sherman Oaks had other neighborhoods that were the trick or treating zones.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
It's not? Great, thanks for ruining another holiday for me. Now can you just shut up about Santa?
Who the hell brought up Santa? I didn't say *I* believed Halloween was a religious holiday, but there ARE people who find it offensive because their church thinks its pagan origins are "Satanic." How hard is it to understand that from my post? Nobody is ruining anything for you but yourself. Get a grip.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
...and the Grinch's heart shrunk three times that day!

Shame. I enjoyed Halloween with the kids last night. I like seeing their excited faces behind their masks. After all, it is just one day. My neighbors and I actually just sit on the steps with whatever goodies we have and wait for the kids to walk by. Usually it is a two hour stretch. My biggest problem is usually gaging the dispense rate so I do not run out too soon.

No, nobody is forcing anyone to participate, but it is a shame that so many seem to have a rotten apple attitude about it; but this might just be CD standard. If you haven't participated for a while, I recommend it; IMO you are missing a good time.
The only person who has a "rotten apple" (whatever that means) attitude about it is the one who believes he is owed something when he isn't and is advocating violence when he doesn't get it. Otherwise known as the OP.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:34 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Who the hell brought up Santa? I didn't say *I* believed Halloween was a religious holiday, but there ARE people who find it offensive because their church thinks its pagan origins are "Satanic." How hard is it to understand that from my post? Nobody is ruining anything for you but yourself. Get a grip.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Wait, so you wrote this, the lambasted me for going out....??
I "lambasted" you because you expected your neighbors to do it for your kids when they were young, but you go out on Halloween and don't think about your neighbors who now have young kids.

That's not the same as someone who could be dealing with an illness or other serious issues and wants to be left alone.

You could stay home and hand out candy, just like you expected your neighbors to do for your kids, but you don't.

Maybe this example will help you, I have a "friend" who thinks like you do. She got annoyed I didn't want to come to her daughter's wedding in MA from CA last August. I sent a gift and my regrets.

But she didn't go to her friend's sons wedding in NH because it was 2 hours away by car.....LOL.

See, it was OK to her use the "too far" excuse for a two hour car trip, but not OK for me to use for a 6 hour plane ride and a more costly trip.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The only person who has a "rotten apple" (whatever that means) attitude about it is the one who believes he is owed something when he isn't and is advocating violence when he doesn't get it. Otherwise known as the OP.
Let him go and "egg" some houses in West LA where he lives. They will all have cameras.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Not once in this thread did I state that I'm owed something. Furthermore, I did not advocate violence anywhere in this thread. So what is the point of lying about me? Do you think I'm not going to point out that what you've stated is false as I'm now doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles