U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:19 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,283,615 times

Advertisements

Over the past month online there have been several articles talking about what Westfield plans to do with the aging Promenade property. From what I have read it seems that the new project will be a traffic nightmere. Does Woodland Hills Warner Center really need more apartments that will create more traffic? Westfield plans to include a grocery and drug store in the new promenade complex. Doesn't Woodland Hills already have enough grocery and drug store? Why more restaurants? Arent there enough restaurants on Ventura Blvd as well as Westfield Topanga village? Why does Woodland Hills need more hotels when there are already 3 big hotels in the area?

Even though I currently live in Seattle I still have friends and family in the valley. I also visit the valley every 2-3 months.

I do like the design and restaurants of westfield Topanga village.

What grocery store could even possible go into the promenade project? If you think about it on Ventura blvd Woodland Hills has a Sprouts,Ralphs fresh fare,Trader Joes and Whole Foods. At Fallbrook Center there is a Sprouts,Ralphs and Trader Joes. Gelsons has a store in Calabasas. The only market I can think of that could go into Westfield Promenode is Vons/Pavilions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 05:10 AM

25,304 posts, read 17,160,103 times
The developers and businesses must feel there is a need or demand for more .
Construction was basically halted for many years during the recession and there is a lack of housing in L.A

Most of the area is pretty sprawling and spread out but it looks like it will be getting more dense.
Also keep in mind people are lazy and sometimes don't even want to drive 2 miles to another market .
look at at Starbucks . Sometimes there will be a Starbucks only a couple blocks from another one .

Old 11-03-2016, 11:15 AM

7,161 posts, read 19,910,388 times
i frequent the woodland hills area often and will be working there beginning next week. considering the density of homes and businesses in and around the warner center the traffic is actually not that bad, especially when compared to other parts of the valley. considering i live not too far away, i also look forward for more interesting leisure options in the west valley.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:35 AM

25,304 posts, read 17,160,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i frequent the woodland hills area often and will be working there beginning next week. considering the density of homes and businesses in and around the warner center the traffic is actually not that bad, especially when compared to other parts of the valley. considering i live not too far away, i also look forward for more interesting leisure options in the west valley.
Yeah I think the options are still lacking, considering the income levels in the area.

Before the Village there really wasn't much at all in the area outside of some chain places, and the Village places are mostly chain locations although most are smaller chains.

Traffic usually isn't that bad there. Studio City or Van Nuys area is probably the most heavy traffic in the valley. Depends on the time of day of course.
Nothing like Westside traffic though

Old 11-03-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Studio City or Van Nuys area is probably the most heavy traffic in the valley. Depends on the time of day of course.
Nothing like Westside traffic though
I've lived on the westside and currently commute from Encino to Burbank and can say that valley traffic is awful and is at least as bad as the westside. the 101 was recently announced as the most congested freeway in the country. and it's not only the freeways that are bad, i could ramble off another dozen or so streets that are parking lots during commuting hours as well. luckily for me and my new commute, woodland hills is an area of respite from the rest of the valley in terms of traffic.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:06 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,883,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I think the options are still lacking, considering the income levels in the area.

Before the Village there really wasn't much at all in the area outside of some chain places, and the Village places are mostly chain locations although most are smaller chains.
Politely disagree. There were plenty of dining options from Tarzana west to Calabasas. Sure, not a lot of them as fancy as some places over the hill, but plenty.

Went to the Village once and that was enough for me, didn't feel welcoming. Definitely not worth the parking hassle to wait an hour+ for the restaurants they offer.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Politely disagree. There were plenty of dining options from Tarzana west to Calabasas. Sure, not a lot of them as fancy as some places over the hill, but plenty.

Went to the Village once and that was enough for me, didn't feel welcoming. Definitely not worth the parking hassle to wait an hour+ for the restaurants they offer.
I agree with elhelmete, there were some decent places to eat in the west valley before the village, but it's only getting better. i still prefer nights out in sherman oaks, but convenience and a growing list of options keeps pulling me back to woodland hills.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:01 PM

918 posts, read 1,114,485 times
Um, other people need to live, need to work, need to raise a family , need housing etc... whats the other solution?

Old 11-03-2016, 01:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 2,716,408 times
I live in Warner Center and with the street widening they did for the Village, Topanga is not bad at all. The Promenade has been worthless as long as i can remember except for Maggiano's and the AMC. I'm excited to see the new development, although I'll be 83 when it's done. Hope they have wheelchair ramps.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:57 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,883,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I agree with elhelmete, there were some decent places to eat in the west valley before the village, but it's only getting better. i still prefer nights out in sherman oaks, but convenience and a growing list of options keeps pulling me back to woodland hills.
Are you my wife, hahah? She usually suggests SO or SC (we live slightly west of the 405) but I almost prefer the west valley now because the crowds in SO/SC have gotten a little bit not to my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or