Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM

46 posts, read 138,539 times

Advertisements

Without reading other replies, you make enough to rent or buy (if you have no debt and a nice nest egg) if you take your time and jump when the time is right.

As other's have said, get a place close to work! Nurses are in demand more than many other professions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I have been on this forum just about a week now, and am interested in moving to Cali (don't know where yet, leaning toward SoCal) but all I keep hearing about is the high cost of living, high gas prices, no one can afford to buy because you need a six figure income, everything's soooo expensive, blah, blah, blah. So besides the rich people being rich, and the poor being poor, where do the middle class fit in? What quality of life am I looking at making $60K-$90K a year as a nurse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,834 times
The middle class w/ families do fine in So Cal - in Corona or Temecula or such places.

LA or central places in OC, are for childless people or people with a lot of money, or at least a commitment to two solid incomes for the family. There are exceptions, of course, but I lived both in LA County and Orange County since starting a family, and families were spread thin and kids were predominantly in daycare. If I knew young families, especially with a stay-at-home parent, they were either struggling horribly or lived in the more affordable fringes and commuted long distances.

Once I moved out of state that demographic changed dramatically. I live in a new home in a nice neighborhood 20 minutes from downtown, with children in every other house and most families surviving very comfortably on one income.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
i'm a capable independant 29 year old, and have been reading the posts on this forum and others involving newbees wanting to move to soca. me included. the ups and downs include moving to anywhere (yes, im still being realistic) but your dream overrides most downfalls, if u have the will power and competence to over come them. What i found is that a good solid problem solving, problem dissolving plan put to work is the best option. I'm currently in my second month of |(whats going to be a year long term) saving up to start out over there. From what i've gathered thus far it will take me about $7,500 to start out, and a min of making about $3,000 per month. does this sound accurate? any feedback (pos. or neg.) is welcomed

Old 10-09-2010, 11:45 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanleigh View Post
i',,,, From what i've gathered thus far it will take me about $7,500 to start out, and a min of making about $3,000 per month. does this sound accurate? any feedback (pos. or neg.) is welcomed
Yes and no.
$3000 a month can be done but you may want to share a house with someone, rent a room.

You want to figure rent to be at 25% of your income. There is all kinds of unexpected cost living here. Auto insurance cost more, fuel cost more here, electricity costs a lot more here, etc.

15 years ago I moved to Yosemite from So CA, hand full of friends. I could not find work in my trade, any I found was held by others. It can take a lifetime to develop the contacts needed for employment in CA.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:42 PM

56 posts, read 138,549 times
I used to make around $10K a month, and barely felt middle class. I owned a house in Downey. I can't imagine living on $3K a month.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
How do the middle class survive in SoCal?
They eat soylent green. How else does anyone do it here?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
They eat soylent green. How else does anyone do it here?
We don't talk about the green, they will raise the price if everyone eats it.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanleigh View Post
a min of making about $3,000 per month. does this sound accurate? any feedback (pos. or neg.) is welcomed

Figuring the 3:1 rule, that's about $1000/month for rent. What about health insurance, 401(k), Roth IRA, auto insurance, and auto payments?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Figuring the 3:1 rule, that's about $1000/month for rent. What about health insurance, 401(k), Roth IRA, auto insurance, and auto payments?
You can rent a room and if you know where to look you can find one for $400 or $500. Craigslist tends to be more expensive but if you happen to be Asian, you can look in the Asian newspaper and find a room for like $350-$400.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM

437 posts, read 811,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
considered taking a job in the LA area at large law firm but cost of living and crime just seem to be out of control.Cali also has outrageous income taxes for those who work and dont try to sponge off the state.I think the California dream is pretty much over.Florida is even with the hurricanes just a much better place to live.Miami is exploding in growth as California everyone seems to be running for the exit.
really you must be kidding me ?!! i am trying to get out of Florida no community here slow life here nothing to do here LA got life to to it ! i feel like i am wasting my youth in South Florida full of swamp and beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles