Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 AM

406 posts, read 346,468 times

Advertisements

Pasadena ordinance cracks down on panhandling, camping on certain streets | abc7.com

It targets those who are blocking sidewalks, which gives Pasadena police the authorities to remove homeless people's belongings in certain circumstances. They can even arrest those who are found to be aggressively panhandling.

As usual, Pasadena is on top of their game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,083,880 times
Please oh please bring this to Hollywood. There's no reason for these individuals to sleep spread out on a busy sidewalk, demanding you step over them if you want to pass.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM

21,592 posts, read 16,119,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Please oh please bring this to Hollywood. There's no reason for these individuals to sleep spread out on a busy sidewalk, demanding you step over them if you want to pass.
Ah. Well, you can legislate against aggressive panhandling. But you're going to have a very hard time legislating against sleeping in public. It's been tried. And failed. Repeatedly.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:32 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,083,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ah. Well, you can legislate against aggressive panhandling. But you're going to have a very hard time legislating against sleeping in public. It's been tried. And failed. Repeatedly.
I don't think anyone has a problem with sleeping in public. Obstructing sidewalks on the other hand, is a problem. This ordinance is not enforced in my neighborhood and it seems Pasadena is emphasizing enforcement. Hence the jealousy .

Old 11-17-2016, 11:39 AM

406 posts, read 346,468 times
Quote:
I have no problem with sleeping in public. It's putting up a tent and 2 shopping carts worth of junk in the middle of the sidewalk that I have a problem with.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Pretty sure the obstruction part can be set and enforced. Just not the sleeping part. Yeah.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:44 PM

155 posts, read 162,940 times
This morning I had to walk around 3 homeless guys who had made a fort with 2 couches and a mattress right in the middle of the sidewalk. They were all sitting in the fort just rambling nonsense and giving dirty looks at everyone who told them to get out of the way.

Why can't the cops just come along and move these guys away? It's ridiculous that I have to put up with this on my morning walks.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
This morning I had to walk around 3 homeless guys who had made a fort with 2 couches and a mattress right in the middle of the sidewalk. They were all sitting in the fort just rambling nonsense and giving dirty looks at everyone who told them to get out of the way.

Why can't the cops just come along and move these guys away? It's ridiculous that I have to put up with this on my morning walks.
The cops CAN move them out of your way. Is that how you want cops spending their time? Best use of public safety resources?

Meanwhile, down the street, accidents, fires, strong arm robbery, gang warfare drive-bys, rapes, attempted abductions, murder. But please, get these sofa-sitters outta Dylan's way first, eh?

Old 11-17-2016, 01:26 PM

155 posts, read 162,940 times
Quote:
The cops CAN move them out of your way. Is that how you want cops spending their time? Best use of public safety resources?

Meanwhile, down the street, accidents, fires, strong arm robbery, gang warfare drive-bys, rapes, attempted abductions, murder. But please, get these sofa-sitters outta Dylan's way first, eh?
C'mon, the other day I saw a kid getting arrested for stealing at Trader Joe's and the police sent 10 officers to the scene. And they all stood around for probably 30 mins doing nothing at all. Why does there need to be 10 officers at a petty theft scene? Shouldn't 8 of them be off investigating the abductions, drive-bys and murders down the street?

My biggest complaint is the homeless situation is getting out of hand and I don't know how a lot of people in this city put up with it.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
C'mon, the other day I saw a kid getting arrested for stealing at Trader Joe's and the police sent 10 officers to the scene. And they all stood around for probably 30 mins doing nothing at all. Why does there need to be 10 officers at a petty theft scene? Shouldn't 8 of them be off investigating the abductions, drive-bys and murders down the street?

My biggest complaint is the homeless situation is getting out of hand and I don't know how a lot of people in this city put up with it.
The problem you describe with herding the homeless is so widespread in such great numbers that if you put it on the daily "To Do" list for cops, all 10 of those officers for the Trader Joe incident would be moving sidewalk furniture 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles