Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

In Los Angeles city and county, can you convert your apt or home into like dorm? Meaning bedrooms with bunk beds, and you rent out short term basically like a hostel.

I am reading a thread in another thread in another forum about moving to LA blind, with no job, and no housing. This poster claims he gets storage room for stuff, found dorm style apt in a very nice area, gets job as bartender. Pays under $600 for dorm style apt.

Is that even a realistic scenario? Is this actually the normal way people move out here to get job in restaurants? I guess that is how illegals do it right?

But I curious are these dorm style airbnb like apartments legal in nice areas, and common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 03:49 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Generally speaking, you are not allowed to "convert" a single family home into apartments without getting permits. The ability to get permits for the conversion will depend on the zoning for the particular home. Since most homes are zoned R-1, I'd say your chances are slim on getting permits. Of course, you can always do it without permits, but before you consider renting out unpermitted living space, Google "Ghost Ship Fire".

Old 12-26-2016, 03:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I would think they would be illegal or at least you would need a license. If you are operating a hotel or hostel there are certain licenses and taxes to be paid. No doubt much of these goes on illegally or under the table.
There seem to be quite a few recovery type homes that offer cheap rents, but again you would need a license no doubt and have the location approved. Not too many people want to live next to a sober living if they know it's there I imagine.

Several cities have cracked down on airbnb or seem like they are planning to crack down on it.
It sounds like you aren't talking specifically about airbnb though. I imagine these types of arrangements are word of mouth..or maybe a posting on craigslist.

It's hard saying whether or not it's the normal way for people to move to L.A . Illegals might do something like that or they might already know people living here and stay with them.

I worked with a lady that lived in an apartment building and the guy sounded like a slumlord. But she said one reason people liked to rent there was that the landlord wasn't picky about how many people live in a unit.

She told me that some units had a ton of people living there and it sounded like it was a loud building. Location was good as it was in West L.A.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Illegal and if I was a neighbor, LADBS would be out there ASAP.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:16 AM

With the housing costs being what it is, is this type of housing a very common way for people who want to move here to get their "foot through the door", so to speak? This person is claiming he moved to Hollywood, and is now bartending.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:21 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
With the housing costs being what it is, is this type of housing a very common way for people who want to move here to get their "foot through the door", so to speak? This person is claiming he moved to Hollywood, and is now bartending.
No matter what words you use to ask the same question the answer is going to be the same and you have been given that answer more than once on this thread.

Also, anyone can claim anything they want online.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No matter what words you use to ask the same question the answer is going to be the same and you have been given that answer more than once on this thread.

Also, anyone can claim anything they want online.
That specific question has not been addressed.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:41 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
Turning an apartment into many different sub-units to rent on AirBnB reminds me of this hilarious prank call...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_wcw79-LQ

Old 12-27-2016, 08:44 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That specific question has not been addressed.
No it's not common. Now it's been addressed

Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Some people will do what whatever it takes to move to a city they want to move to .
Some bartenders seem to do pretty well in LA , perhaps he just viewed the $600 dorm style setup a temporary thing until he could get a better place .
I don't think too many people dream about living here and living in dorm style setups forever.

For some immigrants illegal and legal im sure even our ghetto conditions would be nice in comparison .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles