Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 AM

368 posts, read 1,323,340 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend want to move to SoCal.I know its going to be very expensive.What I want to know is what is the best city and the cheapest city to live in the L.A.area.Is it more expensive in L.A than in the surrounding cities.We dont have all that great of jobs but get by fine here in Albuquerque.What would be the smartest choice for me besides staying where Im at because I know of many many Californians keep on moving in the Albq area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 AM

22 posts, read 162,153 times
Try Bellflower that's a cheap city or maybe Mar Vista. Huntington Park might work or Highland Park. In the SFV try Panorama City or North Hills maybe North Hollywood all affordable

Old 12-01-2006, 08:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,989,304 times
Bellflower & Huntington Park are horrible. I personally can't think of one cheap/inexpensive place to live in SoCal. Maybe someone else may have some suggestions.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 PM

I was wanting a cheap city with low crime and not a big gangster neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,492,515 times
Stay away from all three cities previously listed in the San Fernando Valley! All of them (Panorama City and North Hills especially) are known crime areas. I wouldn't live there for free! LAPD has done a lot to try to clean up the area, but I don't think it's so much better.

When I was looking for an apartment, I visisted some in that area. One apartment manager showed me a unit with dead roaches all over the counters!!! In another building, there was trash all over the entry way, and holes in the walls.

In many apartment buildings, there will be lots of children running around and screaming all over the place. Even if you can afford an expensive apartment in that area, you have to step foot outside your door from time to time (to go to the market, etc.).

Please read some of the other threads in the Los Angeles forum. It is very difficult to find "affordable and safe" in the same area, as the two things are mutually exclusive in L.A. these days.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 PM

642 posts, read 3,064,593 times
Maybe try the Palm Springs area or its suburbs. The resorts will be pricey, but they do have other housing outside of those communities. Of course, I have no idea what sort of work you 2 do, so don't know if you need a job specific locale. It is S. Cal. after all and relatively safe. Cheap, nowhere here is cheap, except the streets and even there you will pay a price.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:58 PM

642 posts, read 3,064,593 times
I reviewed your posts, I guess you specifically state the LA area, so sorry about that I guess Palm Springs won't work. Would Rancho Cocomunga (spelling is off-sorry, but close) work for him (for those who are familiar with that area)? That seems safe and somewhat close.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:20 AM

I have always wanted to live in Cali my whole life,but from what I read on these forums that many Californians want out or dont have a choice.I live in Albuquerque,New Mexico,its the perfect city,the perfect size,everything is conviently located,the traffic is not bad,the housing is cheap,crime is not too bad,mild weather we get all the 4 seasons,we dont have natural disasters and we live in a high desert climate with mountains to the east just outside the city a few miles and desert surrounding the rest of the city.I think this is the perfect place,no wonder I see so many California plates here,but since Ive never lived in Cali its worth the expierence if I can afford it which I doubt I can.What about that Rancho Cucamonga area.I dont really have all that great of a job but will search for better pay.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM

346 posts, read 2,135,644 times
I really think it would be a waste of money to come here when you already don't have a lot of money. Living in California is a different experience I guess but there really aren't any "cheap and inexpensive" places that exist here. It's California, if such places existed, everyone would be flocking there and not to your state or Arizona or Oregon etc. Ranch Cucamonga is expensive but nice. If you can do expensive nice and safe then we can make better recommendations but your criteria do not fit anywhere in the Los Angeles metro. Most areas are infiltrated by gang activity if they are affordable.

If you MUST come here for the experience perhaps try Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Pasadena, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Chatsworth, Sherman Oaks, Canoga Park.

You could always live in a mobile home park for relatively cheap and still get the experience of living in California without the huge housing expense. They offer mobile homes in a lot of LA suburbs like Chatsworth, Simi Valley etc. and are nice communities with no gang activity. I would probably rather do that then live in a run down apartment somewhere in the city.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,590,798 times
I think your smartest choice would be to spend 2 to 3 weeks out here with your girlfriend on your next vacation, read a LOT of local classifieds about rents and jobs, rent a car, get on Mapquest and see if you find the rush hour commutes doable between where you can afford to live, and where you think you could get a job.

Having said that, I agree with all the posters' statements above, and am one of the many who plans to leave, having spent my whole life here. There are many other places to live the Calif. experience without getting bogged down in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles