Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

This is pretty interesting about China .

---

"Slavery in China has taken various forms throughout history. Slavery was reportedly abolished as a legally recognized institution, including in a 1909 law[1][2] fully enacted in 1910,[3] although the practice continued until at least 1949.[4] Despite such rulings, no formal law that abolishes or bans slavery has ever been successfully passed in all of China's history.

Slavery affected, and continues to affect, millions in China.[5] Women and children were subject to sexual exploitation,[5] The 2007 Chinese slave scandal involved thousands of slaves, including, thousands of children, who had gone missing and were forced to work in brickyards.[6] Slavery in China also includes domestic servitude and forced begging.[7]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
A part of me wants to think this is a troll having a bit of sad fun, but if this is the truth, it's horrifying.

OP, if I were you, I would report that company asap. By you working there, you are complicit in their illegal acts and with the climate in the nation as it is, any decent person would not accept this and report this company.

I appreciate you sharing your experience, but go the next step and report this to the proper authorities.

Minorities discriminating against other minorities is the most pathetic form of racism.
I couldn't agree more. If I could up vote your comment more than once I would.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBlonde22 View Post
Furthermore why should I not feel strong about this issue? Do you not see the wrong in my Boss? Or are you like him as well? I been here a little over a month and notice immigrants are very racist towards blacks here. Us whites may be as well, but the ones I know here have not said anything bad about blacks.
First you need you stop putting words in my mouth or assuming anything about me. I don't see why you're attacking me over what you boss is doing. You're doing quite a bit of assuming.

Like I said if you feel so strongly about this issue then go report it. Some people could care less others get raging pisssed. Way I see it is I'm not going to get in a uproar over a post. For every one like that you file a complaint on i bet there are two that fly under the radar. If it was me I would look and get other job, file a complaint then quit. But that's me. Most can't because they need the job so theire willing to keep quiet.

I've rented to all races and ethnic backgrounds. I don't personally care who you are or where you're from. It's pretty simple. If you meet my requirements you rent my places. Follow the lease rules and we won't have any issues.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:06 PM

508 posts, read 503,686 times
Lost me at immigrant Chinese people actually believe that black people eat each other because she overheard a conversation from a couple on the subway. Is this a common sentiment? That black people eat each other? I've just... never heard that one before. /s

It's all just so specific and hits all the right buttons.

And they just can't do anything about it because the tenant has to make the claim (untrue) and that they are "uncomfortable" going to the CA board of labor when it's the EEOC that would be responsible for this is also fishy.

<butthatsnoneofmybusiness>

Last edited by afropack-man; 12-29-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 27,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Not much for legal middle class citizens in L.A these days .
If you are poor/ homeless and /or illegal Garcetti will just raise taxes to help you .

If you are rich you just "donate" bribe the Mayor and other officials to get your way in business and buy yourself a nice home outside the realm of Garcetti's realm ... or you live in a neighborhood of L.A that might as well be another city like Brentwood with gates , security systems and armed guards to protect yourself from those criminals the Mayor wants you to thank .
We have an election coming up and even if this horrible Mayor wins again I hope he is challenged at least for his awful policies .
Garcetti? I never cared to look but I just found out that's the mayor. I was shocked because he looked like a good guy but For what I googled I found out mostly negative things on him, but that's the media.
As far as being poor, I don't discuss my pay with my friends, but to them I may be poor, I have no ide how much they make and don't plan to ask. I can afford a pretty big down payment however my mortgage would be insane. Houses are 500k Plus in an acceptable area out here. Seriously for 100k I can get a 4 bedroom brand new house back east. But anway Today went smooth, and my weekend starts tonight I will just say I never would have thought I could make this much money in one week, btw I got my monthly commissions, and a Christmas bonus!!! HOLY CRAP in one month I have made more than I have at any job combined. It just sucks because at first I felt like I was doing something wrong, But I have to realize its not me. I'm a spiritual person, and very grateful for this position. Just have to accept the positive and the negative about it.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM

12 posts, read 27,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
First you need you stop putting words in my mouth or assuming anything about me. I don't see why you're attacking me over what you boss is doing. You're doing quite a bit of assuming.

Like I said if you feel so strongly about this issue then go report it. Some people could care less others get raging pisssed. Way I see it is I'm not going to get in a uproar over a post. For every one like that you file a complaint on i bet there are two that fly under the radar. If it was me I would look and get other job, file a complaint then quit. But that's me. Most can't because they need the job so theire willing to keep quiet.

I've rented to all races and ethnic backgrounds. I don't personally care who you are or where you're from. It's pretty simple. If you meet my requirements you rent my places. Follow the lease rules and we won't have any issues.
I didn't attack you, I asked a few simple questions.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
OP, report your boss. You may as well be aiding and abetting if you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
People have the right to refuse whoever they want. Lets not be too ignorant here of this demographic as well or better yet, check out Colin Flaherty.
They don't if it's against the law.

Colin Flaherty?! Are you daft, man? CF is a race-baiting twit.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Garcetti? I never cared to look but I just found out that's the mayor. I was shocked because he looked like a good guy but For what I googled I found out mostly negative things on him, but that's the media.
As far as being poor, I don't discuss my pay with my friends, but to them I may be poor, I have no ide how much they make and don't plan to ask. I can afford a pretty big down payment however my mortgage would be insane. Houses are 500k Plus in an acceptable area out here. Seriously for 100k I can get a 4 bedroom brand new house back east. But anway Today went smooth, and my weekend starts tonight I will just say I never would have thought I could make this much money in one week, btw I got my monthly commissions, and a Christmas bonus!!! HOLY CRAP in one month I have made more than I have at any job combined. It just sucks because at first I felt like I was doing something wrong, But I have to realize its not me. I'm a spiritual person, and very grateful for this position. Just have to accept the positive and the negative about it.
Money makes morality all melt away into the background. That's the LA way of life

Old 12-30-2016, 12:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Money makes morality all melt away into the background. That's the LA way of life

Agreed. It's like, 'Gee, all this illegal hateful stuff going down, but damn, my paycheck is AWESOME!"

WTF?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:

Because of what happened at work these last few days I dont even feel comfortable living around these type of people anymore. Any Suggestions? Im a 22 year old with a bachelors degree, and I deserve to be around people with a human or should I say "american" concience. Are there any parts of L.A thats just black and white?

I have even been to other cities much faster than L.A like New York and Chicago, but those two cities had that American feel even though it was just about every race in both cities.

OP, I don't want to be cruel here because you are 22 and from the south and there is a bit of naivete that comes with both. I'll share my experience and then offer a suggestion.

I am a black male from the north east , where blacks and Hispanics generally live in perfect harmony (well other than an array of non stop street crime not relating to race), you don't come across too many Asians and you biggest racial issues will from the white community , this from a city that votes overwhelmingly liberal democrat in every election no less. But I digress

Onto LA. I have faced ZERO aggression or open racism from whites. You seem relatively welcome in any neighborhood/ restaurant as long as you can afford it. My biggest racial backlash has come from sadly the Latino community, and Asians being the most egregious.

I moved into a roommate situation in Alhambra. The roommate that took me in was a good dude, A Taiwanese guy, BUT, he worked in an American office environment.

After living together about 6 months, he told me how initially his Chinese GF warned him about taking me in as a roommate saying "please don't rent to the big black man" threatening to leave him or never come over; the owner of the condo told him "you shouldn't take in a black roommate because people well think black people are moving in the neighborhood and the property values will drop"; and of course the funniest reaction where the lady next door questioned him and was like "was that a black man with KEEEEEYS? Why would you bring him here?/ .

So yes, I have found Asians to be the most racist group in LA (although I don't want to put Filipinos in this), specifically towards blacks and Latinos to a lesser degree. It just get too much coverage b/c they are not running around in packs damaging property or anything like that, but beat you up with things like real estate.

My suggestion, move to the southern part of the Valley if you can afford it, or West Hollywood/Miracle mile areas. The West-side is a nice option but really expensive and traffic can be a nightmare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles