Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Burbank also has it's own law enforcement and they are good! Most of those problem makers know to stay away from Burbank because those cops there do not play games!! It is a pretty safe city considering it is so close to Los Angeles!!! If you want to do something illegal you don"t go to Burbank!! Even though I lived in the valley I did all my shopping in Burbank as it is much nicer and safer there.
You know it! Burbank is the place.:-)

Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Burbank is like a city on its own.. Quality place!!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I know EXACTLY what you mean, Sandy, and that was part of the point of this post. I live about 5 blocks away from Sherman Oaks and I honestly can't tell where Van Nuys ends and Sherman Oaks begins - the trash and rundown buildings are that bad. Things along Ventura still look good, but if you go inland at all, it looks like crap.
Us "oldtimers" can recall when the Valley were still suburbs. Canoga Park, Reseda, Sherman Oaks. Now the clean, graffiti free areas are basically enclaves within these areas. Tree lined, beautiful streets surrounded by yucky boulevards filled with yucky apartment buildings with 1 million cars parked outside.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Grew up in V.N. and I agree completely, especially after moving to the NE where there are trees everywhere and less cement and homelessness. You really notice the filth, strip malls, neon signs, and a lack of anything esthetically pleasing in the Valley, even Ventura Blvd. Don't miss a thing.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:56 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Grew up in V.N. and I agree completely, especially after moving to the NE where there are trees everywhere and less cement and homelessness. You really notice the filth, strip malls, neon signs, and a lack of anything esthetically pleasing in the Valley, even Ventura Blvd. Don't miss a thing.
LA has the beautiful weather but I must admit that I envy the greenery of other states.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
LA has the beautiful weather but I must admit that I envy the greenery of other states.
If you're referring to the East Coast, just keep in mind that it's not all lush and green the entire year. All those leaves you see die every winter and you're left with a never ending landscape of grayness (empty trees). Trust me, I used to live there and I found it to be quite depressing. Yeah, LA may not be lush with trees everywhere, but there are still trees around. Plus, I don't think the mountains would be as picturesque as they are if there were completely covered with trees. Since there's no tree cover, you can really see all the geographic curves of these massive landforms, which I find much more appealing than the completely tree covered "mountains" you have back east. So yeah, I moved away from the East Coast and I don't miss a thing! (well, except for my family )

Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 AM

251 posts, read 148,347 times
Default Wow.

And here I am assuming the Valley still looks like what they show on the Brady Bunch. Honestly.

Being from New York and recently planning a move to L.A., I know little about your city despite visiting there on business quite a few times. I've never been to the Valley but I wanted to see it in person out of curiosity while being in LA two yrs ago. I distinctly remember the hotel guy telling me, "don't worry you're not missing much, there's nothing there." I took this to mean it was a flat, boring, anywhere-in-america suburban type place. I NEVER remotely pictured the Valley as "rundown" and "dirty" or "dangerous." And I dont think the rest of America pictures it like that either (except if they have family or friends there who've told them otherwise).

It's really funny, because the only association I have of those communities is what I would see on game shows growing up. The contestant would announce to the host "Hi Bob, I'm Carrie and I'm from Van Nuys," or "I'm originally from Reseda but now I'm living in Sherman Oaks." They would almost always be some tanned, blonde beach girl with that annoying "Valley accent" or some cheery middle-aged soccer mom.

I guess it's a matter of time before the connotation of "the Valley" becomes as scary as that of "South Central", "Compton,"or "East L.A." It's not there yet, but the reputation is bound to catch up with reality.

That's too bad.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:22 AM

202 posts, read 872,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Spanish signs bother you? Personally I would never live in Southern California if I didn't have at least a basic knowledge of how to read and speak Spanish. It would be too alienating. Plus being able to speak Spanish will open up a whole other world.

Yeah, exactly why not cash in on what amounts to turning California into Mexico.

No wonder people are leaving here in droves.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
"Burbank - Home of the Chicken-ass tickets" -Adam Corrola....I agree.
Cops are ruthless there.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
"Burbank - Home of the Chicken-ass tickets" -Adam Corrola....I agree.
Cops are ruthless there.
Yep, they are. And it's a good thing because look at how much nicer Burbank is because of it!! Now if the whole Valley would follow suit it just might straighten things up--well probably not now--a little to late for that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles