U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 17,789 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am going to be working in downtown LA and am looking for advice on where I should look for a house to live. I have two kids and would like to move to an area with good school districts while having a reasonable commute to work. Ideally I'd like to be in the best school district, pay around $800K for a house with 4 bedrooms and have a commute of less than an hour to work. Ok, I am asking for a lot.

I'd like to hear about suburbs/recommendations. I am planning on spending 4 days looking for a house and would like to develop a short list.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,973,505 times
pasadena...check it out. im begining to feel a bit redundant, but pasadena is really a great place.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 PM

48 posts, read 136,368 times
la crescenta, la canada, flintridge, glendale

pretty easy commute down

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 PM

119 posts, read 598,754 times
Also try South Pasadena,Arcadia,and San Marino.(Although South Pas and San Marino are more expensive), they have top notch schools.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,536 times
Check out LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles It will give you the scores for both school and crime. It really helped me find an area to live in LA. My husband also works downtown. This site also lists houses... (You would think I work for the site since I also tell people about it, but it really is useful)

Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,948,296 times
For a great place to raise kids with great schools and close to downtown...South Pasadena.

City of South Pasadena: About South Pasadena

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 03-01-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 17,789 times
Fantastic information. Many thanks. Question - is there so much difference in the school districts between La Canada and Glendale? LA Life shows a 100 point difference.

Also at peak times how long will it take to commute from La Canada to Downtown LA?

Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,632,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr10 View Post
Fantastic information. Many thanks. Question - is there so much difference in the school districts between La Canada and Glendale? LA Life shows a 100 point difference.
Yes, there is a difference. The La Canada School District is one of the best in California and in the nation. And according to the Great Schools web site, every single school within the district has a perfect rating of 10.

Demographically, Glendale is a larger and more diverse city than La Canada, so the quality of the schools vary depending on the makeup of the neighborhood the school is in. Use the Great Schools web site as a guide. Here's the link:

GreatSchools.net

South Pasadena and San Marino also have top notch school districts on par with La Canada.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM

6,239 posts, read 12,013,745 times
You couldn't find a 2 br house in San Marina for $800k, its one of the most expensive neighborhoods in all of LA.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,042,140 times
Default Nela

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr10 View Post
Hi. I am going to be working in downtown LA and am looking for advice on where I should look for a house to live. I have two kids and would like to move to an area with good school districts while having a reasonable commute to work. Ideally I'd like to be in the best school district, pay around $800K for a house with 4 bedrooms and have a commute of less than an hour to work. Ok, I am asking for a lot.

I'd like to hear about suburbs/recommendations. I am planning on spending 4 days looking for a house and would like to develop a short list.

Many thanks.
South Pas is great and so is Mt Washington (they have a highly-rated ES, not sure what grades are involved). Craisglist search for either one. AND both communities link directly to downtown AND Pasadena via light rail, making the commute a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles