Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 04:35 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times

Advertisements

I am aware that Vernon is primarily an industrial city, and that Tapatío Hot Sauce was founded there as well. Earlier when I looked at the crime rate of Vernon, it said it is more than 20,000! Then, I compared it with other cities' crime rates, including Detroit, Camden, and even Desert Hot Springs, close to where I live (Indio). NONE of these cities come remotely close to Vernon's crime rate! Like I said, Vernon is primarily industrial, and is also the smallest, with a population BARELY passing 100 people. So, can someone please explain as to why the crime rate of this city seems SO high up?

Any answer is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:57 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
The Corrupt Town in True Detective Is Based on Vernon, and Vernon Couldn't Be Happier | L.A. Weekly

Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
There's almost no one who lives there (about 100) so let's say you have a few robberies at the industrial sites. That means the crime rate per capita shoots way up because crime rates are expressive as a percentage of total population. Let's say you have one murder on the fringes of Vernon because it's adjacent to other not so great residential areas like Huntington Park and south LA. That translates to a ridiculously high per capita homicide rate but it doesn't mean much because no one lives there. You probably just have knuckleheads who are driving or walking in the area getting into trouble. However, Vernon is not a residential area so the statistic is misleading.

As a business owner in Vernon, you might care to see if there is a lot of vandalizing or break-ins of industrial businesses. Otherwise, who cares.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Its south of Downtown. Not much good happens in this town below those coordinates on a map. You didn't know that?

Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Its south of Downtown. Not much good happens in this town below those coordinates on a map. You didn't know that?
Yes, of course I knew that. I looked on Google Maps, and Vernon is located south of downtown Los Angeles, and north of Huntington Park, both of which are two of the many not-that-desirable areas in the entirety of Los Angeles County. Other not-that-desirable areas in this specific area include Cudahy, Lynwood, and South Gate. Pretty scary.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
There's almost no one who lives there (about 100) so let's say you have a few robberies at the industrial sites. That means the crime rate per capita shoots way up because crime rates are expressive as a percentage of total population. Let's say you have one murder on the fringes of Vernon because it's adjacent to other not so great residential areas like Huntington Park and south LA. That translates to a ridiculously high per capita homicide rate but it doesn't mean much because no one lives there. You probably just have knuckleheads who are driving or walking in the area getting into trouble. However, Vernon is not a residential area so the statistic is misleading.

As a business owner in Vernon, you might care to see if there is a lot of vandalizing or break-ins of industrial businesses. Otherwise, who cares.
Ah, so the reason being that the crime rate seems SO high is because of its VERY small population and its adjacent location near other not-so-desirable areas such as Downtown Los Angeles, Huntington Park, Cudahy, Lynwood, and South Gate? Well, if that's true (which should be), then it would make sense that Vernon would NOT be truly considered the most dangerous city in the ENTIRE United States.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:31 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Amazing! (I think)

Old 12-31-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Amazing! (I think)
What exactly IS amazing? Just out of curiosity.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
What exactly IS amazing? Just out of curiosity.
anyone who believes you're 18 and/or haven't been here before.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
anyone who believes you're 18 and/or haven't been here before.
Oh. Well, I am actually 18. I turned 18 on the 1st of this month. As for the website, I visit it every day. It's pretty funny how people can sometimes mistake your age based on your looks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles