Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM

230 posts, read 259,098 times

Advertisements

Mr. Geek leave highlanderfil alone. its almost 2pm and his supper is getting cold. I hope you enjoy your pipin hot apple pie for dessert. The ms spent the whole day making it just for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
Mr. Geek leave highlanderfil alone. its almost 2pm and his supper is getting cold. I hope you enjoy your pipin hot apple pie for dessert. The ms spent the whole day making it just for you.
Psssh...I wish. Gotta do it all yourself these days.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM

230 posts, read 259,098 times
lol, only in LA

Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Lots of genuine people in LA.

But the secret is:

They're from LA!!!! The locals usually are very friendly, open to friends, etc.

The transplants tend to put a face on thinking that they need to fake it to make it - especially ones from the East Coast or Midwest.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:21 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Interesting thread. I'm going side with the OP, though. Something about LA just gives it an intimidating feel, like there's something in the air (smog? ) that just permeates everything. More so than even New York. I've been to New York before, and while I had to keep my wits about me, I never felt that same intimidating vibe. The vibe I did catch was more like civil neutrality. I think this describes a common stereotype of LA very well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
People do have a very wrong misconception that LA is some mellow laid back place. It's not. It's as fast and aggressive as any major city. Everyone is hustling here to do something. Only the strong survive. Ones that move here looking for some hippy surfer new age paradise end up back where they came from quickly

Old 01-06-2017, 04:26 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well let's review....LOL.

You come on here and ask both an insulting and a really ridiculous question and than get annoyed when people respond.

You do realize that there are many people who live and work here who have no connection to the entertainment industry?

You haven't even been to LA, before you move anywhere you visit first.

Your thread is no different than if someone posted "Is most everyone in Portland on meth?" or Is everyone fat in Biloxi". Than being shocked when you get some sarcastic comments back.
Yup. It was an inane question. It's like the questions we get on the Relationships forum, that generalize to an entire gender: "Do all women hate short guys?" "Why do women ...... (fill in blank) ?"

Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
People do have a very wrong misconception that LA is some mellow laid back place. It's not. It's as fast and aggressive as any major city. Everyone is hustling here to do something. Only the strong survive. Ones that move here looking for some hippy surfer new age paradise end up back where they came from quickly
Not true. LA is much more laid back than NY in Boston, major difference in how people act and drive.

I went back to NY in 2014 for the first time in years, while NYC will always be exciting, you couldn't pay me to live there or the surrounding areas again. It's a fact people in the northeast are rude and abrupt compared to here.

I just spent the day in Sierra Madre, ever go there? North of Pasadena, a nice quiet little town right up against the San Gabriel mountains. About 20 minutes from where I live, you would think you were in Colorado.

LA is what you make of it, the people you interact with , and not setting yourself up for a long commute.

Some people aren't happy unless they have drama and something to complain about. I don't get that mentality, save the angst for when you have a real issue(like watching a loved one die) and not create issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Lots of genuine people in LA.

But the secret is:

They're from LA!!!! The locals usually are very friendly, open to friends, etc.

The transplants tend to put a face on thinking that they need to fake it to make it - especially ones from the East Coast or Midwest.

Agree, I am a transplant but a long term one who has now lived out here half my life. You got it with the "fake to make it", usually under 30 and only in LA a couple of years.

Watched too much "Entourage"....LOL.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Interesting thread. I'm going side with the OP, though. Something about LA just gives it an intimidating feel, like there's something in the air (smog? ) that just permeates everything. More so than even New York. I've been to New York before, and while I had to keep my wits about me, I never felt that same intimidating vibe. The vibe I did catch was more like civil neutrality. I think this describes a common stereotype of LA very well:
Says the person who lives in Illinois.....LOL.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It sounds like someone that has lived many years or grew up in the same neighborhood, and thus had lots of friends and acquaintances they had spent a long time with.

Now they are moving to another city (big cities are the worst), you want the people there to just take you in as a close friend equal to their long time friends. Does not happen this way. You have to let them get to know you, and let them determine you are the type and quality of person they want to let into their inner circle. This can take from days to weeks, and often years for some people to find locals that want to accept them as friends. A lot of it depends you and your attitude with other people.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:16 PM

216 posts, read 200,846 times
For the most part LA locals are very genuine and friendly people. In my opinion the most annoying people I've come across are east coast transplants, and God knows there's thousands upon thousands of east coast transplants living in LA. The typical east coast transplant opens every conversation with, I'm a New Yorker, or I'm from Philly, or I'm from Boston, etc. Even if they've lived in LA for 20 years, they have to remind you where they're from. I stay away from those folks because eventually the conversation turns to what they don't like about LA. Of course not all east coast transplants are annoying and obnoxious, but if your shtick is trashing my city, I don't want to be your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles