Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,632 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm moving to North Hollywood next month and have been getting mixed reviews on the neighborhood as far as safety. I'm aware that the more south you are the safer it is, but I will be located in the upper part of North Hollywood North of Sherman way near auto zone. I'm a consistent runner and biker. Yes I have lived in big cities before but never had any issues with petty crime or anything. Is this a good area for a male to walk around at night in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
That's technically Sun Valley not North Hollywood but yes, it's safe to walk around. There is some great cycling around there too. Head up La Tuna Canyon road for a great work out but I wouldn't ride up there at night. But you can ride up La Tuna into La Crescenta and over to Pasadena or up the Angeles Freeway into the mountains if you are a serious cyclist

Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 PM

176 posts, read 177,254 times
Please be careful on LA Tuna. It's a great ride but cars be crazy and there is already one ghost bike on that road.

Angeles crest is great riding
So is Glendora mountain road and up to Mt baldy.

Last edited by anrev; 01-07-2017 at 03:16 PM..

Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
That area isn't exactly the greatest. I mean, I'm sure it's generally fine to walk around in the evening but I probably wouldn't want to be alone walking around at late/wee hours. While not as bad as Van Nuys or Panorama City nearby, it's not the greatest of neighborhoods. When you start seeing a lot of pawn shops and check cashing places as you do in that area, that's a fairly telling sign.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
That area isn't exactly the greatest. I mean, I'm sure it's generally fine to walk around in the evening but I probably wouldn't want to be alone walking around at late/wee hours. While not as bad as Van Nuys or Panorama City nearby, it's not the greatest of neighborhoods. When you start seeing a lot of pawn shops and check cashing places as you do in that area, that's a fairly telling sign.
The good thing is that there is not really any reason to walk around that neighborhood. I can see if you want to walk a couple of blocks to a restaurant or convenience store but there isn't much going on in that neighborhood

Old 01-07-2017, 09:38 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I would be a bit more careful in that area than some of the other posts suggest.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:10 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellobos View Post
North Hollywood North of Sherman way near auto zone. I'm a consistent runner and biker. Yes I have lived in big cities before but never had any issues with petty crime or anything. Is this a good area for a male to walk around at night in?
I'd say that things get bad as you move more towards Sun Valley, which once had the highest murder rate per capita. You're West of the 170 in a big business area so I think you'll be OK. I don't know who would want to attack a jogger. It's not like you're gonna get mistaken for a gang banger. And joggers usually don't carry their wallets with them either.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I'd say that things get bad as you move more towards Sun Valley, which once had the highest murder rate per capita. You're West of the 170 in a big business area so I think you'll be OK. I don't know who would want to attack a jogger. It's not like you're gonna get mistaken for a gang banger. And joggers usually don't carry their wallets with them either.
But if your a cyclist on a $2k+ bike then watch out. The meth heads see dollar signs. I've known two people in the past year that got robbed at gunpoint for their bikes along the river bike trail... But of course people here say crime doesn't exist in LA

Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
OP, if you're looking to bike, other than the places already mentioned, instead of riding on nearby city streets, try going somewhere like Balboa Park which is only about 15 minutes away by the 405/101 interchange. At least there's nice greenery and a lake there.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 PM

176 posts, read 177,254 times
No no and No. Balboa park is NOT good for cycling (and neither is hansen dam) Both are 3 mile loops littered with kids and people. NOT fun for anything besides a leisurely fred ride.

If you want a good ride without cars head out to the bike path in Duarte. The LA River path and the SG River trail. THE BOMB. You can ride from duarte to seal beach!

If the OP is a cyclist he'll get the ref and stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles