Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 12,132 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Los Angeles from the midwest and was hoping to live in Pasadena. I have 2 small kids so the preschools in Pasadena looked good and I have heard this is a great area to live. I will be working at Kaiser in Hollywood and have been trying to determine what my commute times will be. My working schedule will prob be from 7am until 6pm each day. Some folks I have talked to said the commute is not too bad (Google rates this as 20 minutes or 50 minutes in traffic). Others have told me that this commute would be torture - and that I should look somewhere closer such as glendale or burbank.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,834 times
The problem area for you is having to take the 110 to the 101 which intersects downtown. Morning shouldn't be as bad for LA standards because you start work early meaning you will leave early, but the nighttime commute will be a nightmare.

One potential time saver (I've never done this so I'm not sure---but I'm looking at the map for you) is: York Road to Eagle Rock to Fletcher to San Fernando Road to Los Feliz Blvd. to Franklin right into Hollywood. It's a lot of streets, but only a few miles on each.

Pasadena and Hollywood are both huge places so if you work in the western part of Hollywood, expect additional commute times, same with the east end of Pasadena. If you work in the most western corner of Pasadena and work near Hollywood/Vine, it'll be a bit shorter.

Consider living somewhere close to the Gold Line Subway in Pasadena, taking that downtown, then switching to the Red Line subway to take into Hollywood. The commute will be roughly the same time, but you won't be aggravated with the car and it will be cheaper than gas. This also presumes your employment is near a Subway stop in Hollywood.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I doubt it will ever be 20 minutes, at least not at those times. 50 sounds more reasonable.

When we sometimes drove from Hollywood to Pasadena we took the street route as described by nowincal11. (with some variations from time to time to shake it up) I don't know if it saved time, but at least it felt like we were moving.

If you don't feel like driving, you could consider taking the bus. I used to take the 780 Rapid for a Hollywood-Pasadena commute (and at Kaiser you're even closer, as that's Los Feliz); I liked that because I just got on, pulled out a book, then got off right by my work, but you could also do the Gold Line to Red Line, and it would be relatively quick. Kaiser is right by both subway and bus stations, so it might be an option worth at least considering.

Overall, though, no, I don't think the commute would be torture. Then again, I didn't drive, so I didn't have the frustration of sitting in traffic. If you like Pasadena, there's no reason you can't live there and work in Hollywood. Then again, Burbank also has its charms, and is much closer.

And, as noted, specific location within Pasadena will also make a difference. Pasadena traffic is pretty light so it won't make THAT much of a difference, but you'll shave off time if you don't live, say, in the far NE corner. And if you are open to public transportation, the 780 bus runs straight down Colorado (in Pasadena), and the Gold Line has several Pasadena stations to choose from.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 04-20-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,132 times
Thanks to both of you for the great advice. I am looking at the west side of Pasadena - so hopefully, that should cut down commute times. And as the metro is right by Kaiser med cntr and has several stops in Pasadena - this could also be a great alternative to being stuck in traffic. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbound75 View Post
Thanks to both of you for the great advice. I am looking at the west side of Pasadena - so hopefully, that should cut down commute times. And as the metro is right by Kaiser med cntr and has several stops in Pasadena - this could also be a great alternative to being stuck in traffic. Thanks.
Literally. Like you take the elevator up from the metro and its the same building as Kaiser. I live in downtown LA, a block from the redline, and getting blood drawn or going to the pharmacy has never been easier.

FWIW, its a fairly easy drive from Burbank into Kaiser Sunset.....so you may want to consider how much you really want to live in Pasadena. Gold line to Red Line does work well, but still do you really want to commute an hour each way every day(which is what your door to door time will ultimately be), or do you want to commute 20-25 minutes each day, door to door?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 PM

396 posts, read 906,174 times
I'd recommend the Metro as it will save you money with gas costs.

Metro really needs to make the transition from red to gold A LOT better than it currently is. That transfer was poorly planned and rather annoying. Feels like a 5 minute walking going up the stairs and through the halls (depending on which exit you take).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles