Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 13,621 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I moved to Downtown San Diego from Philadelphia and a great new job has me moving up to East Los Angeles and would like me to live in the above mentioned areas...or Norwalk or even the northern end of Long Beach....

I realize not too many of these places are not on the best places to live in LA lists but there are where I have to be (I'm a territory sales rep) and my options are limited.

Does anyone have any recomendations as the best place for a 27 yo single gal who is smart, a runner, likes art and history and interesting people?

To add some edits, I will be renting and I pay about $1,100 right now to split a 2 bedroom...I'd like to have my own place though...

Any input is appreciated but please keep it positive!!

Thanks!!

Last edited by Citygirl4218; 02-29-2008 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
I wouldn't live in any of the cities you listed. East LA and North Long Beach would be the biggest no-no's on the list. The rest have sections ranging from crappy to just OK. Parts of Downey or Whittier might be the best of the lot. If you can live a bit east, try La Mirada or Cerritos.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Where exactly (intersection) is the job? "East LA" is kind of a big place.
Are you planning on buying or renting? Budget or price range?
I don't know myself but look for commuter train routes to your employment (not sure if this will work if you are a sales rep). A train might allow you to live farther away, give you more choices, if the train takes you pretty close to your work. Otherwise you really would have a small driving radius due to traffic.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM

87 posts, read 290,417 times
East LA? Watchu Smokin'?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Cerritos, Lakewood east of Lakewood Blvd, Eastern Long Beach east of the airport and traffic circle, parts of Downey, parts of Artesia, and parts of Bellflower will fit.

Norwalk has some decent areas, but I'm not sure specifically.

Whittier does have some nice areas, no idea of the cost.

You mentioned 1100/mo. Lakewood should be able to have something in your price range, so should Long Beach near Long Beach City College and Cal State Long Beach.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

97 posts, read 238,503 times
HELP! HELP! HELP! For I am trying to move out to Los Angeles, California. I've never been to the place, but from what I know, I heard that East Los Angeles was cheap in a big way. But I also heard of its gangs, bloddiness, and crime. I'm scared of no crime, but my desire would be to reach out to Los Angeles wit the gospel of Jesus Christ because He loves them all down there. So help me, so I can help them fo His sake!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
HELP! HELP! HELP! For I am trying to move out to Los Angeles, California. I've never been to the place, but from what I know, I heard that East Los Angeles was cheap in a big way. But I also heard of its gangs, bloddiness, and crime. I'm scared of no crime, but my desire would be to reach out to Los Angeles wit the gospel of Jesus Christ because He loves them all down there. So help me, so I can help them fo His sake!
Hopefully your delusions will subside.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,327 times
Yes... when a gang banger shoots at you for no reason... hopefully Jesus will be there to swipe the bullet away. Fo Goodness sake!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirl4218 View Post
Hi All, I moved to Downtown San Diego from Philadelphia and a great new job has me moving up to East Los Angeles and would like me to live in the above mentioned areas...or Norwalk or even the northern end of Long Beach....

I realize not too many of these places are not on the best places to live in LA lists but there are where I have to be (I'm a territory sales rep) and my options are limited.

Does anyone have any recomendations as the best place for a 27 yo single gal who is smart, a runner, likes art and history and interesting people?

To add some edits, I will be renting and I pay about $1,100 right now to split a 2 bedroom...I'd like to have my own place though...

Any input is appreciated but please keep it positive!!

Thanks!!
I hope you realize by now that "Downy" is a fabric softener. You mean "Downey", I guess.

Do you know where EXACTLY you will be working? No matter where you live in the area you have mentioned, traffic WILL BE an issue.

Also, the descriptions that you give of yourself are pretty much irrelevant, because it is more likely than not that you will be around "not-so-smart, couch-potato-type knuckle-draggers" whose objectives are just to get through life however they can. But they still might be interesting people, in their own way.

If you can find a decent place surrounded by decent neighbors, you'll be miles ahead of it all, and quite a bit of that will depend on you.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Scratch East L.A. off your list immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles