Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,512 times

Advertisements

Ahh... Los Angeles...

on of two most desireble US destinations, well at least for foreign outsiders like me here in Europe. (Other is NY but thats another story). My own personal desire has always been LA, and i always dreamed of going there or even moving permanently. City of opportuinity, beaches, beatifull women and so on... and i know its flaws too, but it too makes it unique place to live.

Why? Well, we are bombarded with US shows, movies, series... and after some time you feel like you need to expiriance what you saw. Here in Europe everything seems in slow motion, we dont have any opportunities, actually we dont have no new stuff at all, which increase desire even more. But destiny dont make it easy, nor are you politics either. To get tourist visa you have to wait half an year, not to mention student or even work visa....ahhh.

Some of that information are really killer for that LA dream i was talking about. To get student visa you got to show proof of financial capeability for all years of studying. And for work visa, well, thats a long shot. Someone has to guarantee for you, your stay and job, and present proof that you are the one he is looking for. As i said, looooooong shot.

So i wish to belive there is some other way to go into land of opportuinities and leave everything behind. The sad truth is that i am not only one who would like to live american dream and wish that someone could swap with them just to grant them opportuinity.

Anyway, i dont want to make this some pesimistic topic, i am new on forum too, and i really like to see yours opinions on this, and life in LA in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 03:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freman View Post
i always dreamed of going there or even moving permanently. City of opportuinity, beaches, beatifull women and so on... and i know its flaws too, but it too makes it unique place to live.

Why? Well, we are bombarded with US shows, movies, series..
How many hours of TV do you watch on average per week?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM

61 posts, read 222,290 times
Well, your best bet is to come here illegally. Then, you can have all the medical benefits, and you don't even have to hold a job. No waiting required!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,512 times
Yeah but if catched i'll be deported with no return option, thats usually what mexicans do, but they just cross the border, i ll have to fly over to risk crossing the border... lol Interesting challange haha, but i'd like to consider legal ways before.

And i dont watch TV much but 80% of Tv's programme is of an US produciton. Dont think i am kind a fanatic willing to do anything to come there haha, i am just presenting sad facts.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:02 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
Come like a Mexican....

Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM

36 posts, read 93,358 times
LA is not a dream. You'll be in debt if you don't have any $$mula$$ saved up.
What you see on TV or in the movies are not always realistic. They make life in LA seem flawless and always amazing.
So, snap out of it...ask anyone who has ever lived there.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
youre going to hear from a lot of pessimists, but there are also tons of people who love it. visit

Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
You obviously didn't read any other threads in this forum before posting this. #1 every other thread is about this same topic, and #2 the same people are posting the same things. There are maybe 20-25 people on here that waste away their time online throwing negatives at anyone who will listen, people who haven't lived here being the best targets for them. Then there's maybe another 5-10 people who like it here but had to move because of family or cost of living or something legitimate. Lastly there is about 10-15 people who will constantly remain positive and defensive for the place they call home. Then there are the other 13,749,779 people who have better things to do with their time than sit online arguing either way. The people that do venture online are obviously going to be biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles