Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 PM

22 posts, read 80,507 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have 4 month lease contract with Archstone Apartment complex in Thousand Oaks in Ventura county.

I am not really satisfied with the following facts:
- Poor APT service
- Poor location of the unit
- Not friendly staff
- Noisy neighbors
- No air ventilation

I just found something on their web site as follows:

Your 100% satisfaction is 100% guaranteed.

All of our Archstone apartments are backed by our unconditional 100% Move-in Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re not completely satisfied with your Archstone apartment for any reason – you can move within the first 30 days of your lease without penalty, no questions asked. After all, we understand that this is your home. And we want you to be happy.
Our Seal of Service™ offers you our unprecedented 100% Move-in Satisfaction Guarantee at all of our Archstone apartments – and more:

Although I don't have the provisions on the written contract that I already signed, could I still use it and move out legally earlier than the lease expiration date(6/2/08)

Could you please shed some light on this??

FYI: I moved in 2/3/08. If I decide to move out, I will have to make a decision pretty quick.

Thanks
Young
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 AM

71 posts, read 372,524 times
I'm not an attorney but I recommend making a printout of that web page ASAP before they take it down and allege it never existed. And get a copy of your lease also. If you really want to move then tell them immediately and invoke the guarantee. If they give you grief you can take your web page advert and hopefully the lease agreement to small claims court and sue them re the matter. But that's my non legal advice. I would definitely act immediately to secure your 30 guarantee rights though because I doubt they'd be willing to let a day late slide....

Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Thank you very much for your advice and insight here. What kinds of documents do you think I need to preprare in case we go to a small claim court?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I suggest you contact an attorney (maybe one who offers a free consultation?) and see what your options are. I would hate to see you possibly get stuck having to pay the remainder of the rent because you missed the fine print somewhere in your lease. It does seem like you can move out in the first 30 days according to that guarantee, but seriously, please consult a lawyer first!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
have you spoken to management to see if they will honor the claim in the ad, or are you just eager to sue? it doesn't sound as if they have told you "no" yet, so why not see what they have to say before your 30 days expire. maybe, they'll honor it, and the rest of this dialogue will be unnecessary. first things, first.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
I agree with katenik, approach the management first. You don't want to get ahead of yourself. However you really need to act in haste, March 4th is the last day you have to act, and like others have stated you more than likely won't have a chance outside the 30 day guarantee.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Yes, by all means approach management, with a copy of the ad. If they say no, it is a case of false advertisement. You also want to read your lease carefully, lawyers are really good at creating loopholes/one sided contracts. Reasons 1, 3, 4 and 5 seem very reasonable to me. They may just offer to change your location ion the building. If they do, you have to take it but try to get in writing a release if this doesn't work out.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM

That would be a great advice. Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
most corporations offer some sort of free legal assistance/consulting. i would consult your HR dept at work to see if your company offers that type of assistance. usually they'll help in any civil matter except divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles