Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times

Advertisements

It's sad that these whiners are getting their way. I read it was just a handful of people who were actually putting up a fit about the airport. I was born in Santa Monica and we moved to Torrance when I was just 2 yrs old BUT my heart will always be w/ Santa Monica and Culver City as my grandparents lived there until their deaths.

My father worked for North American Aviation/Boeing for over 40 yrs in El Segundo. I grew up loving anything Aerospace. We use to sit on Aviation and watch the jets land at LAX BEFORE they put a stop to that... I fear that Torrance Airport will be next on the closing block. People are NUTZ. If you hate planes so much why would you move close to an airport of any size?

I live in the community of Wiseburn now which is not far from Hawthorne Airport and I LOVE watching the Lear Jets fly over our house. I get a kick out of it HOWEVER we now have people whining about that airport and the noise. Yep! Instead of spending money on dual pane windows they would prefer to shut the place down. It irritates the hell out of me that people are doing this instead of putting in good windows to keep the noise from bothering them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:28 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Well let's have no amenities at all then. Everything will be housing so that people like you will be happy with "affordable housing". We'll just remake the whole city into a Borg cube and we all just plug into our cubbies when we get home. Happy then?
Not exactly. Most people benefit in no way from an airport for private jets and a ton of golf courses right in the middle of the city. Most people do benefit from nice new neighborhoods with public parks, shops, restaurants, and less expensive housing region wide.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Not exactly. Most people benefit in no way from an airport for private jets and a ton of golf courses right in the middle of the city. Most people do benefit from nice new neighborhoods with public parks, shops, restaurants, and less expensive housing region wide.
You could make that argument for just about anything. I, for example, do not bowl. Does that mean, however, I believe all bowling alleys should be bulldozed and made into apartments? No, because bowling alleys are an amenity that some people enjoy. Same goes for the SM airport. That's how that works...

Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
You could make that argument for just about anything. I, for example, do not bowl. Does that mean, however, I believe all bowling alleys should be bulldozed and made into apartments? No, because bowling alleys are an amenity that some people enjoy. Same goes for the SM airport. That's how that works...
And skating rinks, gyms, bars, zoos and anything that only a few use, so we can have more homes (Prices will not drop anywhere) and more congestion. Yep airports first then bowling alleys and gold courses. After all how many golf courses are there in down town Manhattan?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
Airports and golf courses take up MASSIVE amounts of land, and therefore belong in suburban/exurban settings, not taking up miles of some of the most valuable real estate in the world in the heart of Los Angeles.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM

64 posts, read 50,820 times
Quote:
Airports and golf courses take up MASSIVE amounts of land, and therefore belong in suburban/exurban settings, not taking up miles of some of the most valuable real estate in the world in the heart of Los Angeles.
So shall we move LAX to Palmdale?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Quote:
The airport's existence puts significant height limits on Westwood and Century City, preventing them from growing like they should.
Because the Westside isn't dense enough. It's like a ghost town. Never any traffic.

Yup, we need more apartment towers, more condo towers, more people, more cars, and more traffic on the Westside.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I think it's a good thing. There isn't a point in having a Santa Monica Airport, and airport consolidation is always good.
Yup, all we need is one airport to serve all of Los Angeles County. When there's an earthquake, and all the highways and rails are down, one airport will be enough to fly in emergency supplies and medical teams.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Aircraft emissions and noise are incompatible with the homes surrounding it. The Los Angeles area is in an incredible housing crisis
Closing the airport will do nothing to solve the "incredible housing crisis." The planned use of the airport is a park.

Abolishing all the regulations and "environmental impact" studies and taxes and fees required to build, will do much more to lower home prices.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Private airplanes are unnecessary, houses aren't.
It's not either/or. You can have both. So far, Santa Monica has had both.

Airports are not the cause of homelessness. Drugs, alcohol, and mental illness is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles