Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:24 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times

Advertisements

Some of you are missing the real point. We do need some of these small airports because if we have that large Earthquake and freeways are taken out we will need small planes to get in and out with supplies. Cry all you want but it is the truth. They spoke about this in one of their articles and it had to do with the Earthquake up in San Francisco -1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in Northern Californian. Small planes were a great help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 01:41 PM

992 posts, read 874,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Some of you are missing the real point. We do need some of these small airports because if we have that large Earthquake and freeways are taken out we will need small planes to get in and out with supplies. Cry all you want but it is the truth. They spoke about this in one of their articles and it had to do with the Earthquake up in San Francisco -1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in Northern Californian. Small planes were a great help...
San Francisco doesn't have a single airport in the city. Helicopters exist.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
1. Santa Monica is not "in the heart" of Los Angeles. It's on the edge.

2. Airports, like all transportation hubs, should be sprinkled throughout an area. That way, there's more likely to be an airport near you -- and thus a reduction in car traffic, as cars don't have to drive as far to get to an airport.
1. IMO, the heart of Los Angeles is everything north of the expo line, south of the hills, and east of the LA River.
2. Airports *with scheduled passenger service* should be sprinkled throughout a region, though the utility of LGB can be questioned with SNA and LAX so near.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:08 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
San Francisco doesn't have a single airport in the city. Helicopters exist.
Considering that SF is one-tenth the size of LA, that's understandable. However, up until the mid-1970's, Crissy Field at the Presidio was an operational general aviation airport. I flew in there on numerous occasions.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Considering that SF is one-tenth the size of LA, that's understandable. However, up until the mid-1970's, Crissy Field at the Presidio was an operational general aviation airport. I flew in there on numerous occasions.
SF is not 1/10th the size of the Westside, though.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
SF is not 1/10th the size of the Westside, though.
I wasn't talking about the Westside.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the Westside.
Santa Monica Airport serves the Westside, and just as SF can get along with SFO, the Westside can get along with LAX.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 PM

That's odd. When I lived in Glendale, I had my plane based at Santa Monica. I didn't realize I was in the wrong.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:48 PM

64 posts, read 50,776 times
Quote:
That's odd. When I lived in Glendale, I had my plane based at Santa Monica. I didn't realize I was in the wrong.
And you chose not to keep it in Van Nuys because?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OC View Post
And you chose not to keep it in Van Nuys because?
I now have it based at Van Nuys. From where I live now, I can get to the SFV faster than the Westside. Generally, the weather is better for flying out of VN than it is for SM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles