Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:49 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Exactly.

Like I said many pages ago, invest in fixing the public transit situation for people that are already here instead of investing in construction to add more people to this cluster F. No matter how many buildings are built, people will still have to commute and LA is still spread out like no other metro area. This is not and never will be NYC of SF. If you want to live in a compact city then move to NYC or SF. Most people change jobs every 1-2 years now so living next to work isn't a viable long term solution. A viable long term solution is a way to easily get from the SFV to Westside in 30-40 mins on a train/subway and be able to do that from any point in LA to any other point. And to be able to get from IE or Antelope Valley by high speed rail in an hour or less. These are solutions we need not a bunch of high rises that address the needs of 1% of the people that live here
Why not both? Let the developers build residential buildings to add to the tax base of LA and let the city/county beef up the mass transit. It doest have to be one or the other... "For the people already here" doesn't mean squat because the people are gonna keep coming (like me...been here a year now). NYC did not use to be as built up as it was. There were single family homes on the island before they were bulldozed to make way for the rise in population...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Why not both? Let the developers build residential buildings to add to the tax base of LA and let the city/county beef up the mass transit. It doest have to be one or the other... "For the people already here" doesn't mean squat because the people are gonna keep coming (like me...been here a year now).
And most people leave after 1-2 years. Talk to me again in 10 years if you're still here

Old 02-13-2017, 02:10 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Voting yes on S.
I'm sick of seeing so many people forced out of their apartments when developers buy them up, get a zoning variance, knock down the original building and then put up their high priced rent building.
Many of these people have lived for decades in their apartments, are lower income and cannot afford rent in the new building.
So, want to win a no vote on S from me?
If people are being forced out of an existing building, the developer will house them temporarily elsewhere, then give them the option of moving into the new building at the same rent they were paying previously.
Levy a carbon tax based on new tenants to be used strictly for street improvements and mantainence as well as school improvements - this would apply to all new apartment construction.
Any council member receiving donations of any amount from developers would automatically be recused from voting on zoning variance requests or any new housing construction issues.
Come up with new planning to be reviewed every 5 years with open review by the public.
Too bad if this slows down housing construction. The city council (should be city cronies council) brought this on themselves.
One poster in particular advocates for unfettered development and sounds like a shill for developers. Thank you for reinforcing my decision to vote yes on S.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
W-w-w-wait, let me get this straight... You think NYC is MORE car-dependent than L.A.? The same NYC where over 50% of households don't own a vehicle per a 2012 UMich study? The same NYC that is followed, in that list, in sequence, by DC (+Baltimore), Boston, SF, Philly and Chicago? OK, now I'm really done.
My read, especially given the cities he listed and the previous sentence that LA is not that car dependent, is that he is saying LA is the 7th most car independent city. That's probably true, considering how car dependent most of the US is.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Voting yes on S.
I'm sick of seeing so many people forced out of their apartments when developers buy them up, get a zoning variance, knock down the original building and then put up their high priced rent building.
Many of these people have lived for decades in their apartments, are lower income and cannot afford rent in the new building.
If people are being forced out of an existing building, the developer will house them temporarily elsewhere, then give them the option of moving into the new building at the same rent they were paying previously.
Levy a carbon tax based on new tenants to be used strictly for street improvements and mantainence as well as school improvements - this would apply to all new apartment construction.
Any council member receiving donations of any amount from developers would automatically be recused from voting on zoning variance requests or any new housing construction issues.
Come up with new planning to be reviewed every 5 years with open review by the public.
Too bad if this slows down housing construction. The city council (should be city cronies council) brought this on themselves.
One poster in particular advocates for unfettered development and sounds like a shill for developers. Thank you for reinforcing my decision to vote yes on S.
I think the worry is that S will force more evictions. While right nkw developers are. Mostly building on empty parking lots.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:31 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Voting yes on S.
This editorial argues that if zoning variances aren't granted (as would be the case if Measure S passes), that more affordable housing is likely to be torn down for construction of new condos.

Measure S isn't a solution to L.A.

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here are the two most important paragraphs :

Some proponents of Measure S have said it will discourage gentrification and protect residents threatened with displacement. But that’s not true. The measure would do nothing to create more affordable housing or to protect existing affordable housing. In fact, Measure S will make it nearly impossible to convert a parking lot, a defunct public building or a strip mall into housing — those are all changes that would require a General Plan amendment, zone change or height increase.

Building on underused sites is the best way to create more housing without displacing existing residents. One analysis of General Plan amendments proposed in 2015 found that the projects would create 6,000 units of housing while displacing just six existing units. Without the ability to seek land-use changes, real estate investors will likely turn to existing residential properties. That means small, often rent-stabilized apartments could be converted to condominiums (a trend that led to thousands of evictions a decade ago) or could be demolished to make way for larger projects. That means more displacement. Not less.

It sounds like your complaint is with the state Ellis Act, something measure S doesn't address and will likely exacerbate. But my understanding is the Ellis Act and rent control laws already say that if a rental building is renovated/replaced with a new rental building the owner has to pay relocation expenses and the tenants get first rights to move into the new building. If the building is Ellis Acted and converted into condos, then the tenants get a large payment.

Last edited by Texamichiforniasota; 02-13-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
And most people leave after 1-2 years. Talk to me again in 10 years if you're still here
Oh I will buddy. I hope to be in a house in the basin by that time if my job keeps moving me up

Old 02-13-2017, 03:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Like I said many pages ago, invest in fixing the public transit situation for people that are already here instead of investing in construction to add more people to this cluster F. No matter how many buildings are built, people will still have to commute and LA is still spread out like no other metro area. This is not and never will be NYC of SF. If you want to live in a compact city then move to NYC or SF. Most people change jobs every 1-2 years now so living next to work isn't a viable long term solution. A viable long term solution is a way to easily get from the SFV to Westside in 30-40 mins on a train/subway and be able to do that from any point in LA to any other point. And to be able to get from IE or Antelope Valley by high speed rail in an hour or less. These are solutions we need not a bunch of high rises that address the needs of 1% of the people that live here
LA is investing in transit and just passed a $120 billion measure to add several new lines. But I don't see why development and transit are mutually exclusive. Especially since one is tax payers money and the other affects mostly the private sector. Housing and transit expansion SHOULD go hand in hand if we want to think ahead and ensure that we have the density required around transit stops (many new stations go through lower density areas).

Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
The first thing you mentioned is a good idea, and I think it would be a way better regulation than implying a 2-year moratorium (Although it would be better worded to say that any developer looking for a zone variance would be barred from making donations). LA planners JUST announced the other day that Community plans will be updated every 6-years AND Environmental Impact Reports will now be required to be conducted by consultants specifically picked by city hall. These are two things that Measure S was trying to do that are now part of law regardless.

Also, the rent control argument is mostly a myth. Measure S will ensure that LA sticks to its 70 year old zoning codes and the result will be much less housing built to meet demand, higher rates of displacement, homelessness, rent hikes, etc. if you truly felt the way you do, voting No would be your best bet.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:52 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
W-w-w-wait, let me get this straight... You think NYC is MORE car-dependent than L.A.? The same NYC where over 50% of households don't own a vehicle per a 2012 UMich study? The same NYC that is followed, in that list, in sequence, by DC (+Baltimore), Boston, SF, Philly and Chicago? OK, now I'm really done.
No. I think NYC is the least car dependent city, and LA is the seventh least car dependent city. In my opinion, the top 10 LEAST car dependent cities are, in order:
1.NYC
2. DC
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Philadelphia
7. Los Angeles
8. Seattle
9. Portland
10. San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles