Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times

Advertisements

Congrats LA I heard on 3 different news outlets today that LA has the worst traffic in the world!! Care to comment Garcetti???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Shocking!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Study authors said a stable U.S. economy, continued urbanization of big cities, employment growth and low gas prices all contributed to increased traffic and congestion worldwide in 2016, lowering the quality of life:

No surprise here: Los Angeles is the world's most traffic-clogged city, study finds - LA Times

Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
And I still say that sooner, not later, rationing is going to happen regarding vehicles allowed on the roads and freeways in the state.
I have talked about this for years, and I believe within the next few years it will happen, especially here in the city.
One will be issued a window sticker, when registering their vehicle(s) which will have a day of the week printed on it.
On that day the vehicle can not be used.
Obviously exemptions would be put in place.

This plan would take millions of vehicles off the road on any given day of the week.

It is going to happen, it is just a matter of when.

Bob.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
"The INRIX study sliced data in different ways. Los Angeles drivers spent an average of 104 peak drive-time hours fighting slow traffic during 2016. That put Los Angeles at the top of the list of cities where drivers spent the most hours stuck in slow rush hour traffic.

But on a different measure, time stuck in congestion as a share of all driving, Moscow drivers had it worse. They spent 25.2 percent of their total driving hours on congested roads, while Los Angeles motorists spent 12.7 percent of their total driving time in slow traffic, the study found. In Bogota, Colombia, motorists spend 31.8 percent of their total driving time in traffic jams.

The worst stretch of road in the United States is New York City's Cross Bronx Expressway, where drivers on the 4.7 mile (7.5 km) road spent an average of 86 hours a year staring at the bumper of the car ahead.

After Los Angeles, INRIX listed New York, San Francisco, Atlanta and Miami as the most traffic-choked U.S. cities."

Traffic jams cost U.S. drivers $1,200 a year: study - Business Insider

Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
And I still say that sooner, not later, rationing is going to happen regarding vehicles allowed on the roads and freeways in the state.
I have talked about this for years, and I believe within the next few years it will happen, especially here in the city.
One will be issued a window sticker, when registering their vehicle(s) which will have a day of the week printed on it.

This plan would take millions of vehicles off the road on any given day of the week.

Bob.
It needs to happen.

Our roads were made for a 1950's sized city.

On top of that everybody drives. From your 16 year old neighbor to your 90 year old geriatric (neither of whom should be driving) and everybody in between. Tons of illegals driving. Now Uber/Lyft drivers who... drive for a living so are never off the road.

And people drive for stupid reasons. Too many retirees and underemployed who just drive around for fun.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

Bob.
No, it will not.

First off how would you enforce it? I see people driving and texting, I believe that is against the law.

How is one cop going to go after the 25 cars who drive by on the day they shouldn't be, or will we have so many cops that one is assigned to every car? The cost would be much worse than sitting in traffic.

You have already gone down this road(no pun intended). If someone has a sick kid who needs to get to the ER, guess what? They're driving. They're not calling Uber or going around asking neighbors "hey, is it your day to drive, my kid stopped has asthma and they're not breathing well, but I can't drive for 2 more days".

Increasing mass transit will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
It needs to happen.

Our roads were made for a 1950's sized city.

On top of that everybody drives. From your 16 year old neighbor to your 90 year old geriatric (neither of whom should be driving) and everybody in between. Tons of illegals driving. Now Uber/Lyft drivers who... drive for a living so are never off the road.

And people drive for stupid reasons. Too many retirees and underemployed who just drive around for fun.

Many of the freeways were built long after the 50s, the 405, the 2, the 105 to name a few.

So underemployed people just drive around for fun? As well as retired folk?

Define fun? Do you mean seniors who go to lunch and movies in the afternoon therefore spending money, or someone working two jobs and they have to drive from Target in Pasadena to work the second job in Glendale?

Cause IDK anyone who just drives for fun, they have somewhere to go or they want to do something social, but no one zipping up and down the freeways for the heck of it with no destination planned.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 PM

509 posts, read 484,932 times
Forget re-peat, forget three-peat...

We are the champions my friend...
And we'll keep on driving to the end...

Oh, and as for driving for "fun" with no destination in mind? One of my favorite things to do in life. What is the use of having a car if you can't enjoy its capacity to take you to new places? I seriously doubt that drivers like me are responsible for traffic in LA; far more commercial traffic and commuters than anything else.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
If someone has a sick kid who needs to get to the ER, guess what? They're driving. They're not calling Uber or going around asking neighbors "hey, is it your day to drive, my kid stopped has asthma and they're not breathing well, but I can't drive for 2 more days".
This is why we have a 911 system, so people with medical emergencies can get help and transportation to a medical facility.
That shoots you theory right out of the water.
As for enforcement, it is a serious enough matter, and monies collected from violators would increase the city general fund, that a special police force, similar to parking enforcement could be adopted to handle violators of the restricted use of their vehicle on the day posted on the sticker.

I have been on this for over 15 years now, and know every in and out of this proposal.

Handed it over to the state legislature some time ago, and they did nothing.
Now that the state has millions more vehicles than then, perhaps they will see it is a viable solution to the traffic through out the state's large cities.

There are some countries that have this policy in place, and I believe China is one.
If the legislature doesn't do something soon about this traffic problem, it just might end up as a proposition on the ballot.

Bob.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
This is why we have a 911 system, so people with medical emergencies can get help and transportation to a medical facility.
That shoots you theory right out of the water.
As for enforcement, it is a serious enough matter, and monies collected from violators would increase the city general fund, that a special police force, similar to parking enforcement could be adopted to handle violators of the restricted use of their vehicle on the day posted on the sticker.

I have been on this for over 15 years now, and know every in and out of this proposal.

Handed it over to the state legislature some time ago, and they did nothing.
Now that the state has millions more vehicles than then, perhaps they will see it is a viable solution to the traffic through out the state's large cities.

There are some countries that have this policy in place, and I believe China is one.
If the legislature doesn't do something soon about this traffic problem, it just might end up as a proposition on the ballot.

Bob.
Yes, we have been through this before Bob.

If your child needs to get to the ER due an asthma attack you're not waiting for 911, you get your a** in the car and you go to the nearest ER.

Maybe you're not aware of this but you will get billed if you call 911 for the same issue more than once, I knew someone who got a huge bill after they called 911 for a diabetic related issue the second time, you get someone to drive you. In fact they were told in the future it's best to get someone to take you to the hospital...so there goes your idea.

Special police force? Right, lets see that will require big salaries, with big benefits, and pensions.

In case you're not aware we're already top heavy and maxed out on city jobs and pensions.

Whose going to pay for it? Oh that's right all those people who can no longer drive to their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba2k View Post
OK lets examine this a bit shall we?

In the USA

Q: who do the politicians respond to / who votes on propositions?
A: the voters
Q: who likes to drive cars a LOT?
A: the voters

In China (where they do have rationing)

Q: who passes the laws?
A: autocrats that have central control
Q: will this affect the people in power at all?
A: no. They will have multiple cars, have drivers drive them, etc.

Do you see the difference yet? Just because something is successful in China does NOT mean it could work here.

You want to know what is actually likely? We will adopt Londons system of congestion charging in the CBD.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles