Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought the Gateway Cities region is like East LA or South LA.
James Hetfield from Metallica and Kerry King from Slayer were both from Downey, both white too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
James Hetfield from Metallica and Kerry King from Slayer were both from Downey, both white too
Yeh, but they grew up in like the 60s or 70s. I am sure LA county had more non white hispanics all over back then. I am curious about now.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:38 AM

176 posts, read 177,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yeh, but they grew up in like the 60s or 70s. I am sure LA county had more non white hispanics all over back then. I am curious about now.
what does that even mean? Are Persians white? or Non White?Armenians? Chinese?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:50 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
I think the reference is to non-accented-standard-English speaking, European Americans. Before I get a geography lesson on Armenia (or Iran, Turkey, Syria or other places from which Persians or Armenians hail), most people understand this to not be referring to the Caucasus.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
Ooops I mean non hispanic whites.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM

104 posts, read 213,991 times
I don't know if you'll still be checking this thread, but being from Downey and grown up in Downey... there aren't very many white Caucasian non Hispanic whatever you want to call it living in Downey or Gateway areas. I'm Asian, growing up in the 90's it was mostly Hispanic in my schools. Maybe like 2 white kids per class and 2 Asian also. Most of the whites people that lived/live in my neighborhood are either elderly, so not really looking to move, parents that their children have moved away, but they don't really want to pick up and move somewhere else. Not very are moving in that I see. I will say that everyone in the neighborhood is friendly and nice. When you go shopping is when you'll get people from different areas coming into Downey to shop that sometimes aren't as friendly. But that can happen anywhere.

And referring to East LA, it really means East Los Angeles County more so than "East LA." East LA is its own city and isn't really considered to be a part of Downey / Norwalk / Whittier etc. Cerritos will be nicest with mostly Asian and some whites there too. It's in LA County, but depending on where you're getting info it sometimes is considered "North OC" even though it's in LA County.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Regarding La Mirada. What's good about it? What's bad about it?

I am looking for a good value-for-money single story SHF in a mid century area relatively near one or more Metrolink stations, somewhere between Santa Ana and DTLA and I'd say 5 miles either side of those (OC / 91 Riverside) lines.

Based on my research so far, La Mirada fits the bill.

I'd especially like to hear from actual La Mirada residents or past residents.

TIA.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Regarding La Mirada. What's good about it? What's bad about it?

I am looking for a good value-for-money single story SHF in a mid century area relatively near one or more Metrolink stations, somewhere between Santa Ana and DTLA and I'd say 5 miles either side of those (OC / 91 Riverside) lines.

Based on my research so far, La Mirada fits the bill.

I'd especially like to hear from actual La Mirada residents or past residents.

TIA.
Never lived there myself, but I did look into renting there c. 15 years ago.

It is much nicer than one would expect, what the 5 would have you believe is quite misleading.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Plus they have Clearman's North Woods Inn.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 PM

817 posts, read 752,939 times
White means you are from Europe. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles