U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM

111 posts, read 120,576 times

Advertisements

So a friend of mine is moving out here and the Westside where I live is a little out of his budget so he found this apartment and wanted to know about the area the address is 1021 S Park view street Los Angeles, CA 90006. I'm not sure of this area myself so any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 PM

807 posts, read 657,159 times
This is Westlake / Pico Union, which is a high crime area with significant gang concentration. I would heavily advise against moving to this area.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
This is Westlake / Pico Union, which is a high crime area with significant gang concentration. I would heavily advise against moving to this area.
Thanks. If I have anymore is it okay if I run them by you?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
I lived at 531 s park view for a few years. Yes it's a rough neighborhood. There are gangs but most crime when I was there was car theft and break ins but definitely some muggings and sex assault. I wouldn't want to walk around at night but luckily there is nothing to do over there

Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 PM

807 posts, read 657,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.diddy View Post
Thanks. If I have anymore is it okay if I run them by you?
Sure. If you've got a few other areas in mind, run them by us.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 AM

511 posts, read 253,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I lived at 531 s park view for a few years. Yes it's a rough neighborhood. There are gangs but most crime when I was there was car theft and break ins but definitely some muggings and sex assault. I wouldn't want to walk around at night but luckily there is nothing to do over there
I will second every word of this. I didn't live there, but I did work there for a few years. I will say that it is not as bad as it was in the 90's, and the sprawl of Koreatown is starting to spill over into it (which generally means less street crime) However, it is many years away from becoming gentrified or safe.

On the plus side, it is an easy commute to many places. Some buildings in the area have been refurbished, with gated parking and security systems. If it is a nice building with good security and the price is right, it might not be so bad. I'd check out the address first before committing to anything.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM

4,007 posts, read 9,884,105 times
No. I worked nearby for 12 years and no way would I live there by choice.

See if your friend can share an apt. in a better area, or rent a room from someone for a while.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,361,137 times
Is that area still so bad? I mean, maybe it is, I don't know, but it's just a few blocks from Loyola Law, the heart of Koreatown, and not much further to the Staples Center/LA Live. I'd think its promixity to all that has gentrified it a bit?
I do agree it looks extremely rundown, as I've driven on that area between Koreatown and DTLA, still looks grungy

Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Sure. If you've got a few other areas in mind, run them by us.
How about this location.

415 S Westlake Avenue

I'm. Just not familiar at all with the downtown area so I'm not sure. Thank you all I appreciate the responses.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 PM

511 posts, read 253,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.diddy View Post
How about this location.

415 S Westlake Avenue

I'm. Just not familiar at all with the downtown area so I'm not sure. Thank you all I appreciate the responses.
Well, you are very close to MacArthur Park, which was a gang infested crack-hole until about ten years ago. While it has seen some sprucing up in recent years, it is still one of the more gang and crime ridden districts in the city. There are many El Salvadoran gang members in that area. Back in the 90's, they were famous for their brutality. Time has softened many of them to some degree. However, the neighborhood is still blighted and unsafe at night. You will also not find many native English speakers in that area at all.

If you have a map handy, draw a box like this: Commonwealth Ave. on the west, the 101/110 interchange on the east, Temple St. on the north, and Adams Blvd. on the south. Inside that box is pretty rough territory. While it may be worth it if you find a newly refurbished building with gated underground parking (some do exist), frankly, it is not a place most people would be willing to move to.

Some alternatives nearby that are better: Echo Park, which used to be just as bad but has recently undergone some gentrification and has become "hip" if edgy. Koreatown (north of Olympic and west of Vermont if you can), the immediate USC vicinity (safe enough if you remain close to the university, but people have been murdered for stopping at the wrong red light around there), downtown itself (try to keep it north of 9th St., and west of Alameda), or Silver Lake (hipster ghetto that has gotten very pricey lately).

All of those areas, except parts of downtown and Silver Lake, are cheaper than the West Side. None of them are great to stroll around in at night, but at least there are (some) normal people out after dark.

East Hollywood (east of Western, west of Vermont) is still largely affordable and not so bad, especially in Little Armenia or Thai Town, but the rents there are increasing faster than average too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or