U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 AM

5 posts, read 42,151 times
Default Help! Best place to live in Santa Clarita?

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Santa Clarita Valley to be closer to family. We're not familiar with the area and would like to know the best area to live...Valencia? Saugus? Newhall? We have a 3-year-old so we want a good school, good parks, etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Also, who's the best internet provider there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 AM

26,362 posts, read 53,431,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangobox View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Santa Clarita Valley to be closer to family. We're not familiar with the area and would like to know the best area to live...Valencia? Saugus? Newhall? We have a 3-year-old so we want a good school, good parks, etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Also, who's the best internet provider there?
More information needed:

Rent or buy? Budget or housing price range? House/Apartment/Townhome/etc?
Where (city/neighborhood) will you be working? (What line of work are you in?)

Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM

637 posts, read 1,983,908 times
If you have the $ and don't mind all the yuppies go for Valencia though parts of Newhall & most of Saugus are nice too. Avoid CC & Castaic unless it's Sand Canyon ...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 42,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
More information needed:

Rent or buy? Budget or housing price range? House/Apartment/Townhome/etc?
Where (city/neighborhood) will you be working? (What line of work are you in?)
Thinking of buying up to $400K for house with 4BD, 1.5 BA. We both work from home (just need internet), so we'd like some space to breathe.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 PM

58 posts, read 376,134 times
I actually just answered your other post about the schools in SC. Fastest internet is through Time Warner Cable (cable modem). DSL is super slow out here. TWC really does go fast. Plus, they also have some nice packages that include your home phone service and tv service with internet...all bundled for a lower price.

In Stevenson Ranch, 400k will get you a 3 bedroom townhouse or condo. A 4th bedroom takes the price up to about 500k. I think the same would apply in the Charles Helmers neighborhood of Valencia (Northbridge).

How important is a 4th bedroom? How important is being within the boundary of one of the top 3 schools in town? Santa Clarita does have many other really good schools, in great neighborhoods that are more affordable. These schools would probably be in the top 10 in town. Their scores on the API are about 850-890 out of 1000. Just about any part of Valencia will be a nice area with good schools. Tesoro del Valle comes to mind. Planned community, newer homes, good schools. Also, the area around Copper Hill at Seco Canyon (Mountainview Elementary).

That link to API scores should help you decide where to buy a house. Stevenson Ranch, Valencia, and Saugus are the nicest parts of town with the best schools. There are parks all over town along with paseos (fancy word for walking/biking path ). The older parts of Valencia have the nicest parks because the trees are mature so the parks have more shade. The newer subdivisions have parks...but there's hardly any shade. Good news is that this is a town with a TON of fun kids stuff that's indoors too.

Technically all the schools within a district have the same lesson plans but the schools with higher scores tend to have a much higher level of parent involvement. The more you are involved as a parent...the less likely your child will slip through the cracks.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
mari

Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM

716 posts, read 1,355,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
If you have the $ and don't mind all the yuppies go for Valencia though parts of Newhall & most of Saugus are nice too. Avoid CC & Castaic unless it's Sand Canyon ...
Whats wrong with Canyon country? The fair oaks subdivision (Pardee homes) are an all out yuppie neighbourhood (if you will) and its very close (5mins) from the 14fwy. Also you have good close scenary of the canyons.

Sand canyon heading placentia is very expensive area but with land to match the properties BUT lots of fires start out in this part of the area.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 13,975 times
Here's the deal in my opinion, numbered from least to most desirable location in Santa Clarita (sorry if I offend anyone, everyone is different and this is just what I've experienced):

1. I consider Newhall the lower end of Santa Clarita but I'm sure there are some nice spots I haven't seen.

2. Canyon Country is good, I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. Saugus is a great area (It's where I live) for middle class families. There are nice new housing developments here and it's a fantastic place to live. There's a park on Bouquet Canyon Road you should check out. I live off Plum Canyon Road and I LOVE it. There's a new housing development going up right down the street but I don't know much about it. It's really safe here.

4. If I could afford to live in Valencia, I would. It's the nicest area but it is of course the most expensive.

I hope this helps you and good luck in your search.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 PM

637 posts, read 1,983,908 times
[quote=catsmith;3172865]least to most desirable location in Santa Clarita (sorry if I offend anyone, everyone is different and this is just what I've experienced):

1. I consider Newhall the lower end of Santa Clarita but I'm sure there are some nice spots I haven't seen.

2. Canyon Country is good, I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. Saugus is a great area (It's where I live) for middle class families. There are nice new housing developments here and it's a fantastic place to live. There's a park on Bouquet Canyon Road you should check out. I live off Plum Canyon Road and I LOVE it. There's a new housing development going up right down the street but I don't know much about it. It's really safe here.

4. If I could afford to live in Valencia, I would. It's the nicest area but it is of course the most expensive.

I'm sure you will offend the folks living in Peachland Estates as well as some of the larger lot homes South of Lyons (both Newhall) as that is probably the most expensive area in Santa Clarita along with the estate homes in Sand Canyon. (sorry Valencia) There are good parts and not so good parts in CC, figure on you get what you pay for mentality there as there are older areas especially around Leona Cox elementary that you will find a lot of "junk farmers" living. Good school though, go figure.
Valencia is perfect if you like the me first attitude. My kids the smartest/best ball player, my house is bigger than yours, my cars more expensive than yours, my wifes better looking, my husband makes more $ etc... Just stay out of the way of all the "homemakers" in a hurry to go nowhere in their SUV's.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 11,983 times
Default SCV/Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimari123 View Post
I actually just answered your other post about the schools in SC. Fastest internet is through Time Warner Cable (cable modem). DSL is super slow out here. TWC really does go fast. Plus, they also have some nice packages that include your home phone service and tv service with internet...all bundled for a lower price.

In Stevenson Ranch, 400k will get you a 3 bedroom townhouse or condo. A 4th bedroom takes the price up to about 500k. I think the same would apply in the Charles Helmers neighborhood of Valencia (Northbridge).

How important is a 4th bedroom? How important is being within the boundary of one of the top 3 schools in town? Santa Clarita does have many other really good schools, in great neighborhoods that are more affordable. These schools would probably be in the top 10 in town. Their scores on the API are about 850-890 out of 1000. Just about any part of Valencia will be a nice area with good schools. Tesoro del Valle comes to mind. Planned community, newer homes, good schools. Also, the area around Copper Hill at Seco Canyon (Mountainview Elementary).

That link to API scores should help you decide where to buy a house. Stevenson Ranch, Valencia, and Saugus are the nicest parts of town with the best schools. There are parks all over town along with paseos (fancy word for walking/biking path ). The older parts of Valencia have the nicest parks because the trees are mature so the parks have more shade. The newer subdivisions have parks...but there's hardly any shade. Good news is that this is a town with a TON of fun kids stuff that's indoors too.

Technically all the schools within a district have the same lesson plans but the schools with higher scores tend to have a much higher level of parent involvement. The more you are involved as a parent...the less likely your child will slip through the cracks.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
mari
I have lived here in Valencia for almost a year. We moved here for better schools and more house for your dollar. No one told me that it's like Desperate Housewives...people judge you based on the size of your home, how many activities your kid is in and as a woman, if you work, your car and clothes..WTF????? With that said, there are many good things here, lots to do with families.

Last edited by nic34; 04-25-2008 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,431,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic34 View Post
.....people judge you based on the size of your home, how many activities your kid is in and as a woman, if you work, your car and clothes..
Welcome to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles