Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 32,036 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm currently a business student at Marshall University about to graduate this upcoming summer. I'm really wanting to try and work myself into a job with a record label, which means I'll definitely need to relocate. California is the home to the record labels I most desire to work for, but I have never been there nor have I even been out to the West Coast. So, I had originally planned to make a visit during my upcoming Spring Break with a group of friends to get a feel for what it is all about. Well, long story short, everyone backed out (financial reasons), so the only option I have for Spring Break is to return home to Kentucky. What I had considered though, was maybe flying out for a couple of days and visit Los Angeles myself during the last few days of my break. Traveling alone is not a problem for me, but I'm just curious if I would be able to really get a feel of what Los Angeles is like if I traveled there by myself? I would just hold the trip off until summer so I could get a group together to go with me, but I just don't see anyone willing to throw down the cash to travel with me anytime soon. Also, considering I'm about to graduate, I don't really have that much time to sit around and wait for people to go with me when important life decisions need to be made, such as where to relocate. So basically what I am asking is: (1) Would it be a smart idea to travel alone to Los Angeles? (2) Would I be able/be safe to maneuver around being that I won't be able to rent a car because of my age? (3) Would I really be able to get SOMEWHAT of a feel for what Los Angeles is like?

Any advice, help, or suggestions would be appreciated! I realize that the choice of hotel I stay in plays a big factor on getting to and from hot spots, so if you have any suggestions for places to stay, please send those along, too.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM

132 posts, read 596,481 times
Hi CWA13! Try this-
Los Angeles A World Class City

Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM

24 posts, read 101,316 times
As an aside and before I answer your question, if you're serious about working for a record label you really may want to consider Nashville instead of Los Angeles. It's way easier to break into the business there than it is here, and frankly you'll get better experience, making your transition to California smoother in the future.

That said, you asked:

(1) Would it be a smart idea to travel alone to Los Angeles?
Sure! If you want to meet other people, I'd suggest staying near UCLA if possible. Westwood is a walkable, safe neighborhood with lots of young people. (USC is a great school, but its neighborhood is not nearly as attractive or safe). You will find other entertainment industry type young people around Hollywood as well. Be advised though that Hollywood can be kind of a sketchy area at night.

(2) Would I be able/be safe to maneuver around being that I won't be able to rent a car because of my age?
This is more complicated. First off you probably CAN rent a car if you're over 21 and as any resident will tell you, you really need a car in this city. You can take the bus-- it's not as bad as some people will tell you. If you want to get a feel for living in a particular area, I might focus your visit around one of the more walkable neighborhoods-- Westwood, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, downtown Culver City. Again, be advised that parts of Hollywood and Downtown L.A. are not entirely safe at night.

(3) Would I really be able to get SOMEWHAT of a feel for what Los Angeles is like?
YES, although for real authenticity, you really do need a car.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 AM

81 posts, read 285,162 times
Come visit LA, and decide whether you hate it or love it! But please don't just visit the touristy areas of Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills. Take some time to walk around places like Chinatown, Boyle Heights, Pasadena, Fairfax, and Sherman Oaks. Now, since you won't have a car, it will be very difficult to truly and fully see LA. Get a feel for all the ethnic enclaves; while LA is one of the world's most diverse cities, it's also somewhat segregated. Being confined to public transportation will limit how much you can see each day, though you'll get to see a side of LA that even many Angelenos don't.

Safety might be an issue if you're taking public transport all day. I wouldn't get on the bus very late at night in some areas. But use common sense and you'll be ok. You really need a car, though, to get the full experience, even if that experience is mostly sitting in the world's largest parking lot, aka the 405.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA13 View Post

(1) Would it be a smart idea to travel alone to Los Angeles? Traveling alone is okay but please set an itinerary and stick to it. Call home and let people know you are ok. Have a cell phone with your home (kentucky) number clearlry labeled home. If you have any allergies (food or medical) have them listed on a piece of paper easily accessible so that if something happen to you, you can get help faster.

(2) Would I be able/be safe to maneuver around being that I won't be able to rent a car because of my age? Check the internet there are lots of rental places who will rent to you as long as you're over 18. (try Car Rental Los Angeles Cheap Rent A Car Starting at $6.99 Per Day)

(3) Would I really be able to get SOMEWHAT of a feel for what Los Angeles is like? LA is what you make it. There's a llot of everybody. There are certain areas where they don't speak English and refuse to, there are areas that are clean, areas that are dirty, some are loud, others peaceful.

Thanks so much!
Feel free to DM me with specific questions, I've lived here all of my life. I know this place like the back of my hand.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,438 times
Default Yep, don't forget the real neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
Come visit LA, and decide whether you hate it or love it! But please don't just visit the touristy areas of Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills. Take some time to walk around places like Chinatown, Boyle Heights, Pasadena, Fairfax, and Sherman Oaks. Now, since you won't have a car, it will be very difficult to truly and fully see LA. Get a feel for all the ethnic enclaves; while LA is one of the world's most diverse cities, it's also somewhat segregated. Being confined to public transportation will limit how much you can see each day, though you'll get to see a side of LA that even many Angelenos don't.

Safety might be an issue if you're taking public transport all day. I wouldn't get on the bus very late at night in some areas. But use common sense and you'll be ok. You really need a car, though, to get the full experience, even if that experience is mostly sitting in the world's largest parking lot, aka the 405.
You can see alot from the modest rail system. The subway goes to Universal City and Hollywood, the Gold Line goes to Pasadena, the Blue Line goes to Long Beach. Just getting off at Union Station drops you smack dab in the middle of the Plaza- oldest part of town and arguably the most 'historic.' There are so many places you can see WITHOUT a car: Central Library, Laker games, 'Wicked' at the Pantages, Old Town Pasadena. There is really no end to it.

Have a great time.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 AM

In spite of Nickdahammer's insistence that MTA a great company I don't understand how much of L.A. one can expect to see traveling underground. Or how comfortable you'll be on a crowded, sometimes smelly bus. Plus, you'll have the freedom of movement with a car that you can't EVER get on the public transportation system.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,438 times
Cool Who said anything about the bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
In spite of Nickdahammer's insistence that MTA a great company I don't understand how much of L.A. one can expect to see traveling underground. Or how comfortable you'll be on a crowded, sometimes smelly bus. Plus, you'll have the freedom of movement with a car that you can't EVER get on the public transportation system.
Never mentioned the bus, not once. A friendly suggestion: read the post completely. Further, just because I prefer the rail lines that MTA runs, does NOT in any way mean that I think they are a 'great company', suggesting that visitors opt for 'crowded, smelly' buses. Your conclusions, not mine.

The Blue and Gold (and Green, for that matter) lines are ABOVE GROUND. It is only the Red Line that is runs underground. Anyone who has spent any time at all in the City knows this.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:38 PM

And nobody who wants anybody to have a good time would not recommend public transportation. Of course I know the Redline is underground so using it to go to Hollywood or Universal would not be fun, you can't see anything. The Blue line goes throught the nastiest parts of L.A. county to get to Long Beach. And quite frankly the Gold line's route isn't all that scenic, either, but it is better than the Blue. And let's not forget the wonderful view of traffic on the 105 as one is traveling on the Green line.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 PM

218 posts, read 741,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
In Los Angeles, there is no such thing as freedom of movement in a car. That is lesson number one.

Alas, however, to see LA, you DO need a car... Los Angeles is just *not* a walkable city... it's not at all like NYC, where everything is close together and easily accessible, no... EVERYTHING in LA is spread out... that's part of the reason for the vast and sprawling freeway system... the cities and neigborhoods of LA County are spread out so far, that you have to find a way to get there fast, even with a car.

My suggestion would be to pick out a few choice areas you really want to focus on, and either rent a car, or take the bus, and concentrate on moving around in those spots, and really spend time there, to see how the locals live and work and play there, so you don't get the "touristy-Disneyland" version of LA.

LA is as safe as any big city is, when travelling alone... it is not the city that determines safety, so much as it is your own common sense and street smarts. Just use common sense, and don't broadcast yourself as a tourist. Don't flash objects like cameras or iPods, or the like around when you don't have to... that will attract theft. And carrying a big honkin' tourist map of LA in your pocket is a blatant advertisment that you are unfamiliar with the area, and will also attract trouble... if you have a map, fold it up, and keep it COMPLETELY hidden in your pocket, and if you must refer to it while walking, walk into a corner store or coffee shop... someplace with a crowd, and look at it there... safety in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles