Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Newbie? I've been living in Santa Monica for 30 years now. I was here for the Northridge quake.

BTW, it's overdue, not overdo. And if you remember that Mr. Apostrophe is your friend, you'll avoid mistakes like arent, isnt, and Dont.
I didn't realize that "Don't", at the end of a sentence, was considered a proper noun. I will adjust my capitalization from this point forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Newbie? I've been living in Santa Monica for 30 years now. I was here for the Northridge quake.

BTW, it's overdue, not overdo. And if you remember that Mr. Apostrophe is your friend, you'll avoid mistakes like arent, isnt, and Dont.
LOL. Someone get all butt hurt over being called a "newbie" or a "Non-California native"? LOL. Just stick with the facts and the subject of the thread dude, no need to start personal attacks or as the poster above said "avoid being grammar police".

Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
In other news, scientists have predicted that a major hurricane will hit Florida again sometime in the future.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I didn't realize that "Don't", at the end of a sentence, was considered a proper noun. I will adjust my capitalization from this point forward.
Who said Dont was a proper noun? I was citing the words as written, as seen from my italicization of them. Hence, it's perfectly proper, in this context, to keep the original capitalization.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Wrong. It could happen anywhere along the entire fault. Here's a map:

That's Brawley on the the south and near Eureka on the north. Nobody knows where along the fault it will fracture. If it's near L.A. then maybe L.A., but even then how about Palmdale? (Probably send them to the moon if it happens at Palmdale.)

Anybody who is scared, there are airlines, trains, freeways, buses, all kinds of ways to save yourself. I suggest you do it right now! You know, before the Big One hits!
Way too much focus on the San Andreas Fault.

And not enough focus on the hundreds of others capable of creating 6+.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
And too much focus on grammar, considering all the grammar posts I've seen were incorrect, clueless.

Yes this is my last post in this stupid topic.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:50 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
In other news, scientists have predicted that a major hurricane will hit Florida again sometime in the future.
Now that's funny 😂

Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietude View Post
Dude, go **** yourself. This was straight from the experts to the mounted search and rescue you a-hole. LA will be a wasteland when the big one hits.

Ports or not, are you a ****ing idiot? The ports aren't anywhere NEAR LA. San Pedro and long beach are a long drive down roads that will be destroyed. How exaclty are they going to get supplies to millions of people on roads that are gone?

Northridge tore down a number of bridges, shut down the 5/14 interchange when it collapsed entirely and screwed up the city. That wasn't even a big quake, and it only lasted for about 30 seconds. I was here when it happened.

Instead of spouting your bull****, shut your pie hole.
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Everyone is brave hiding behind a keyboard.

Your ignorance is very obvious. You see the neon sign that say "expert", you accepted the whole sales pitch and get angry with those who questioned it. You have no ability to judge what is said vs FACT. You are a perfect candidate as a cult- follower.

Use your brain. Earthquake prediction is not a science, it can not be demonstrated & repeated consistently in a controlled environment, the JPL & the USGS have been crying "the wolf is coming " for too long they have lost their credibility. Did they predict the Sylmar, Whittier, or Northridge quakes? Were they able to give advanced warnings? No, no, no, and no. Have they identified the prediction indicators to earthquakes so they can give advanced warnings more than a few seconds ahead of time? No. So what good are they? Why is the government continue to fund these fancy PhDs this comfortable life style with no accountability? They jobs is stand in front of local TV after a minor quake and treat the rest of us like idiots and explain "why" quake happens. This is supposed to give "comfort" to the masses? I guess it does to people like you who worship their authority.

So why do they recycle these warnings every so often? The wolf is coming but we can not tell you when or how. Just like the climate change, LOL, remember it was called "global warming "? But they backed off on that claim so nobody can argue that climate actually "changes". The simple answer to why both groups do this is money. They want the government money, sorry YOUR tax dollars, to spend on their pet projects so they can continue to live in a well-paid comfortable life style they enjoy and claim "academic freedom".

Wake up & smell the bull $hit. Start using the brain and stop being a cult-follower.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Regardless where you live in the country, everyone should have emergency supplies at home and in their cars. I like to have extras to sell to the idiots who didn't prepare. Cash only! Although I might consider barter if you'd like to give me your Louis Vuitton handbag in exchange for a gallon of water.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:27 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
The quake can happen between now and 20 years time span. Doubt it would be later than that. It has to go very, very soon. If it happens, the valley will be severely damaged and the basin just damaged since it's a little far from the epicenter. Freeways will collapse and older building will come down, especially in the valley. In Dt. L.A., you'll be tagged because of major shaking with some of the weaker old buildings will come down, I mean just at least 6 or 7 of them. The major downtown high rises will still stand with some windows broken. It's just a huge scare and hit you'll get downtown but nothing that disasterous as the valleys. Still don't want to be there when it happens. The L.A.-Newport fault is much worse on downtown, where lots of towers will be damaged, if not some very severe. It would produce 7.9 quake on this fault that also needs to go. L.A. is on borrow time. 10 years after quakes, L.A. will be fine and more cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles