Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:54 PM

49 posts, read 218,570 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I plan on moving to California and I'm not sure where to go. Both will have bachelor degrees in communications and will be looking for jobs. We are looking to get into a house 2-3 bedrooms min 2 baths. Is there anywhere that will not break the bank? My criteria is: 1. safe area 2. good schools (plan on having kids within 2 years) 3. parking 4. close to mall and places to eat. (I don't want to drive 20 mins to places) I have been to Brentwood and Santa Monica only and I didn't love it, but it may be because it is not like Michigan. Keep in mind, I am married though I am young and if there was a city with elderly people in it, I would move there. My husband hasn't quit is partying days so the farther away from bars and clubs would be great! I have had suggestions of Woodland hills, silverlake, los feliz, toluca lake, calabasas, tarzana, glendale and burbank. Oh and somone said don't move to the valley, what is wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,076 times
toluca lake is great. close to a bunch of shops and restaurants.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Unless you're in the valley, a two bedroom house in a safe neighborhood is going to cost you atleast $2500 a month, probably more. You may want to check out Culver City though, its a bit cheaper than LA proper and isn't exactly the most lively area in LA.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 237,964 times
Woodland hills, silverlake, los feliz, toluca lake, calabasas, tarzana, glendale and burbank

You just answered your own post. All of these are nice except glendale (unless you're an armo).

Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselthedog View Post
Hello, my husband and I plan on moving to California and I'm not sure where to go. Both will have bachelor degrees in communications and will be looking for jobs. We are looking to get into a house 2-3 bedrooms min 2 baths. Is there anywhere that will not break the bank? My criteria is: 1. safe area 2. good schools (plan on having kids within 2 years) 3. parking 4. close to mall and places to eat. (I don't want to drive 20 mins to places) I have been to Brentwood and Santa Monica only and I didn't love it, but it may be because it is not like Michigan. Keep in mind, I am married though I am young and if there was a city with elderly people in it, I would move there. My husband hasn't quit is partying days so the farther away from bars and clubs would be great! I have had suggestions of Woodland hills, silverlake, los feliz, toluca lake, calabasas, tarzana, glendale and burbank. Oh and somone said don't move to the valley, what is wrong with that?
There is no town, or area in Los Angeles that will remind you of Michigan. Spend the winter here and you'll instantly know you're not in Michigan.

If your house buying budget is in the Mid 600,000 range, you'll be able to find something in an average neighborhood.

The valley is infested with gangs.

Move north, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Unless you're in the valley, a two bedroom house in a safe neighborhood is going to cost you atleast $2500 a month, probably more. You may want to check out Culver City though, its a bit cheaper than LA proper and isn't exactly the most lively area in LA.
Culver City is not cheaper for home buying or rent. The average rent there is $1800 for a 2 bed, 2 bath. House prices are 600k +.

I wouldn't recommend Los Angeles this town is no place to raise a family, why not go north?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dawggy View Post
Woodland hills, silverlake, los feliz, toluca lake, calabasas, tarzana, glendale and burbank

All of these are nice except glendale (unless you're an armo).
LOL....Certainly accurate.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
If you're looking for a great place to raise kids with a small town atmosphere that's really clean and peaceful, check out South Pasadena. It's a wonderful place to live and raise children.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 PM

48 posts, read 211,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselthedog View Post
if there was a city with elderly people in it, I would move there.

you are not in michigan anymore

Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times
I really hate to be the one to say this, but, PLEASE find a job FIRST and then relocate here. At least one of you should have a job before making the move here. Right now, California is in a bit of a recession. Prices are very high here and without any income coming in, your savings will diminish quickly. A college degree is not a ticket to a job here, There are a lot of young people with college educations working in restarants and bars and other service-type industries because they cannot find a job in their field. However, luckily, many of these young people are abe to continue to live with their parents or other relatives until they land the job that has enough income for them to move out and get their own apartment. Unless you already know people here or have at least one job lined up, this might not be the best location for the two of you.

I know it is very difficult in Michigan now, but the sad truth is that many people are starting to feel the recession here too. I would hate to see you leave one lousy economy to only find yourself in another one that is just as difficult to find a good paying job, but also, much more expensive.

If you find the jobs first, location will be based on proximity to work. Commutes here can be really awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles