Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 04:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,236,119 times

Advertisements

Imagine how much it would suck *** if you were a real estate agent. having to drive around the city all the time everyday.

it'd be easy in NYC, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:59 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,780,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Imagine how much it would suck *** if you were a real estate agent. having to drive around the city all the time everyday.

A lot of real estate agents have showings at off hours during the week due to the fact that many of their clients have to work - so often they don't have to drive during peak traffic hours.

Plus they often are busiest on weekends (at least the ones I know) - but then again, I think traffic heading West during the weekend is worse then it is during the week, at least during the hottest months.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,892,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

Well, I'm a real estate appraiser who drives around the city every day appraising homes. I live in Woodland Hills and I won't get on the freeway until 11:00, my first appointment is always Noon. You want me in Westwood at 9:30 ? Call someone else. Even leaving at 11 or 12, it takes an hour to get most places out of the valley. Once in a blue moon I'll get stuck down in LA at 5:00 and facing the NB 405. Luckily, I can shoot over to my boat in the marina, have a nice dinner and go home around 8 or 9. Taking PCH to Topanga often helps me out. I couldn't live without Sigalert.com.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,073,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I hope people keep posting in this thread.
I have a scheduled meeting in three weeks with my rep in the state legislature, to discuss vehicle use rationing in the state's largest cities.

This has been a pet project of mine for over ten years, and has been turned down in a previous meeting a few years back.

This time, I have videos, and other information to back up my claim for rationing the use of vehicles .

I have saved the post on this thread to bring with me.
I have ommited user names, and personal information.
The user name for all post will be, x, x1, x2, x3 etc.
It will give the legislature more input as to why vehicle use rationing in major cities throughout the state, is needed.
I am convinced it will happen.

It is not a matter of "if", but "when".
New roads are not the answer,
That has already been proven.
Limiting the use of vehicles on any given day of the week is a viable solution to the maddening traffic we are all faced with.

Bob.
Encourage mass transit aswell.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,892,896 times
Quote:
I have a scheduled meeting in three weeks with my rep in the state legislature, to discuss vehicle use rationing in the state's largest cities.

This has been a pet project of mine for over ten years, and has been turned down in a previous meeting a few years back.

This time, I have videos, and other information to back up my claim for rationing the use of vehicles .

It will give the legislature more input as to why vehicle use rationing in major cities throughout the state, is needed.

Limiting the use of vehicles on any given day of the week is a viable solution to the maddening traffic we are all faced with.

Bob.
Hi Bob,

I'm curious how your plan would allow for folks like me who have to work on the road every day, but CANNOT take mass transit. For example, a typical day might take me to Pasadena, then to Mid-Wilshire and then Manhattan Beach and then back to Woodland Hills. And it's not just the destinations, but I also have to drive around neighborhoods shooting comps (real estate appraiser). During the gas crisis, I had a "C" sticker which allowed business people to buy gas on any day. Would your plan allow business people who HAVE to drive every day some sort of special dispensation, or do I just not work every other day ?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:03 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,447,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Encourage mass transit aswell.
ABSOLUTELY! If there were a way to use mass transit for most of our getting back and forth to work, I would gladly take it.

We have friends in San Fran who have only one family car because, for the most part, they can take public transportation to get around.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Hi Bob,

I'm curious how your plan would allow for folks like me who have to work on the road every day, but CANNOT take mass transit. For example, a typical day might take me to Pasadena, then to Mid-Wilshire and then Manhattan Beach and then back to Woodland Hills. And it's not just the destinations, but I also have to drive around neighborhoods shooting comps (real estate appraiser). During the gas crisis, I had a "C" sticker which allowed business people to buy gas on any day. Would your plan allow business people who HAVE to drive every day some sort of special dispensation, or do I just not work every other day ?
I would imagine there would be some sort of voucher or sticker to allow you additional driving.

My husband and I have had to replace cars within the last 3 years and we have opted for a Camry Hybrid and a Prius. Once we get back to LA, I will be glad for it.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Bob.
What does this look like? Checking odometer readings? How would you know? And what would the limit be?

Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM

12,305 posts, read 8,005,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
What does this look like? Checking odometer readings? How would you know? And what would the limit be?
Generally the restriction is based upon your license plate number. In Manila for example if it ends in 2 then that car can't drive on Tuesdays. So the cops and traffic enforcers have probable cause to pull you over and issue a citation. If the family is wealthy is is a simple a matter to have an extra car with a license plate that ends in a different number.

My guess that if there was a chance get something like those restrictions passed here then DMV will be busy reissuing plates for those families which randomly had cars end with the same digit. And those who use the temporary registration and never replace the RUSNAK or ALEXANDER dealer ID cards will have a further incentive to mounting their plates beyond parking enforcement ticketing them if they park on the street.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Generally the restriction is based upon your license plate number. In Manila for example if it ends in 2 then that car can't drive on Tuesdays. So the cops and traffic enforcers have probable cause to pull you over and issue a citation. If the family is wealthy is is a simple a matter to have an extra car with a license plate that ends in a different number.

My guess that if there was a chance get something like those restrictions passed here then DMV will be busy reissuing plates for those families which randomly had cars end with the same digit. And those who use the temporary registration and never replace the RUSNAK or ALEXANDER dealer ID cards will have a further incentive to mounting their plates beyond parking enforcement ticketing them if they park on the street.
So if you are not wealthy you can't go to work that day? Or if you are single and only have one car? So teachers don't show up that day to teach every week, nurses can't work that day, doctors don't show up?

Unless there is an alternative (other than trying to find a person who happens to live near you and work at the same place, which in LA would be difficult), then I don't really understand how this would work.

I would gladly take a train if I could find one that would offer what I needed at a reasonable rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles