Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,788,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Trust me on this one.
Vehicle use rationing is coming soon to major cities in California.

Bob.
Yeah right. How is CA or LA ever going to be able to enforce that? They don't even enforce the carpool lanes on the 5 in rush hour. Not to mention how many people and households have multiple vehicles and the amount of super wealthy people with stables of a cars to choose from. "I guess I'll just have to drive my Monday car today!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:47 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,235,618 times
We should make a new law in which anyone making less than 100k/yr must take public transportation.

That way the streets are clear for quality people with quality cars.

LOL JK, no need to get angry boyo.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,788,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
We should make a new law in which anyone making less than 100k/yr must take public transportation.

That way the streets are clear for quality people with quality cars.

LOL JK, no need to get angry boyo.
you jest but one thing I could see in CA is banning cars older then a certain age from being on the road. It could be a green initiative

Old 03-14-2017, 06:16 PM

266 posts, read 269,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
440 / 727 auto.

Nice, Factory R/T? Are you going to Spring Fling or Fall Fling this year, great MoPar shows.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:47 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,046,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
you jest but one thing I could see in CA is banning cars older then a certain age from being on the road. It could be a green initiative
That's an invitation for the ACLU to salivate over to protect the poor or those who can't afford a late model car. Even if a car is 12 years or less, a LOT of people simply can't afford a late model car that is well maintained.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:11 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,072,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yeah right. How is CA or LA ever going to be able to enforce that? They don't even enforce the carpool lanes on the 5 in rush hour. Not to mention how many people and households have multiple vehicles and the amount of super wealthy people with stables of a cars to choose from. "I guess I'll just have to drive my Monday car today!"
If your gonna do a culture shift, might aswell do it through transit.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,072,309 times
And to think we were about to pass Measure S.

Yes, either way there will be traffic. But it would have eased it alot huge building boom decades ago without people pushing back on density and transit.

The reason we have so much traffic is because people are pushed further out for cheaper housing and have to drive to the city to work.

If it was denser, we would not have such a bad housing crisis and people can live closer to work, thus walk/ride/cab/uber to where they need to go.

That means less traffic for those who'd rather drive.

People voting for measure S and complaining about traffic are like complaining about a friend being fat, taking him to mcdonalds and then asking why he's so fat.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,901,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
And to think we were about to pass Measure S.

Yes, either way there will be traffic. But it would have eased it alot huge building boom decades ago without people pushing back on density and transit.

The reason we have so much traffic is because people are pushed further out for cheaper housing and have to drive to the city to work.

If it was denser, we would not have such a bad housing crisis and people can live closer to work, thus walk/ride/cab/uber to where they need to go.

That means less traffic for those who'd rather drive.

People voting for measure S and complaining about traffic are like complaining about a friend being fat, taking him to mcdonalds and then asking why he's so fat.
Do you think the people who want to live in Santa Clarita, Irvine, and Simi Valley are going to live in beehives in Koreatown and Hollywood just because there are now more of them? Consumer preferences is Economics 101 and Measure S failing is not going to change that.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,002,075 times
Anybody surprised at this topic is either from out of town, just moved here, or delusional.

There are more people and more cars on the road every year. When did they finish the last freeway. Was that 1950. No I'm just kidding, maybe the Simi freeway in the '80s...

There isn't any more room to add freeways, but more people keep coming. Why wouldn't you think the freeways would get slower and slower? And worse, high traffic hours are getting wider and wider. We are getting near an ~18 hour rush hour, starting at maybe 4-5 a.m. and ending at 7-8 p.m.

Don't even bring up the weekends. At least many people are stuck in jobs 40 hours/week. Most of them are turned loose on the weekends. If anything there are just no lower traffic hours during the weekends, just wall-to-wall traffic all day.

And don't get off the freeway. Street traffic is even worse. My main street traffic haunt is the SFV and it gets crazier every year.

But wait! We haven't reached the end yet. L.A. is growing! The increased traffic is proof enough! But what does this really mean?

I predict that more and more streets with on-street parking (example: Reseda Blvd. in Northridge) will either have to forego the parking lane and turn it into a third traffic lane, or worse (like Reseda) put up barriers to make it safe for bike traffic. I never see any bikes using it. All I see is places cars used to park that now have big ugly barriers.

I remember the "drone." I first noticed it late at night in the '80s or '90s. It's like an omnipresent Ommmmmmmmmmmm. But it's not. It's the cumulative noise of all the traffic, engines, acceleration, deceleration, driving.... There are no more quiet nights in the Valley like in the 50's and 60's. What you hear now is the cumulative noise of thousands or tens of thousands of auto motors of the traffic within hearing range of where you live.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,002,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Do you think the people who want to live in Santa Clarita, Irvine, and Simi Valley are going to live in beehives in Koreatown and Hollywood just because there are now more of them? Consumer preferences is Economics 101 and Measure S failing is not going to change that.
Haha, just had to laugh. People who live in Santa Clarita, Irvine, and Simi Valley live there for a good reason: to avoid the SFV and Ktown and the traffic mess that is the rest of LA.

They escaped once and they aren't coming back.

Just one problem: Santa Clarita, Irvine, and Simi Valley have now become unaffordable. Oops, too late to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles