Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 9,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
You are dead wrong...downtown LA is one of the best spots for nightlife in LA County. Granted, Thursday to Saturdays are the most lively.
It's too spread out and still dies around midnight. There are pockets of cool places scattered everywhere, but they are scattered because DTLA wasn't designed to be a population center. Koreatown is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Im interested in moving to LA, but geez yall make it sound like it's almost impossible to function.
Most of the active users here are older and very conservative, I've noticed. Older conservatives tend to take the view that everything used to be perfect but now everything is awful. And it's just the LA pastime to complain endlessly about traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconC View Post
Most of the active users here are older and very conservative, I've noticed. Older conservatives tend to take the view that everything used to be perfect but now everything is awful. And it's just the LA pastime to complain endlessly about traffic.
I see. Yeah you see the same mentality here with Charleston. Ever since Charleston started making all these "best in the country/world" lists and growth is red hot, people think the city has somehow lost its charm and "perfectness." Yeah traffic is getting worse, but the blame goes to the residents themselves who hold back every new proposal - and the state for being dirt cheap.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 9,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
How is Trump killing HSR when he has a larger infrastructure plan than Obama and was a former real estate developer (so you know, he's a big fan of transit and developing around it). He wants to pay for it using US Notes too so we can stop owing the Fed (and of course they aren't happy with that).
Trump doesn't have an infrastructure plan, just a promise to spend a very large amount on infrastructure. And a very large amount on expanding the military. And a very large amount on more tax breaks for the wealthy. None of Trump's "plans" will come to fruition because we don't have the money to make them happen. Even if the Obamacare replacement is passed and that $337 billion in savings(over 10 years) materializes, that's just a small fraction of the amount Trump needs to make even one of his grand ideas a reality.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:25 PM

817 posts, read 753,062 times
Jandrew,

It's really hard to put a lot of information in one little area at one time. But let me put it like this. I myself, have been here over 15 years and it took a few years to really find what I wanted. There are literally dozens of different areas with different cultures and climates in one metro area out here. Living by the beach is nothing like living Inland, and even among the beaches they have different attitudes and amenities as well.

Living in the San Fernando Valley is nothing like the San Gabriel Valley, and that's nothing like the Gateway cities around Cerritos, and that's nothing like the Anaheim area, and none of those areas are anything like living in the Inland Empire. It takes time for all these areas out and find what you like.

Then on top of that, is the job. Can you find a job where you want to live? I started out working in the South Bay, and my free time explore the entire metro area. From the Rolling Hills and cliffs of Southern Orange County all the way up to Ventura and out towards Riverside. I lived in a few different cities, with varying commutes, until I found a city I like.

Then I was able to apply at jobs in the area I lived in, until I finally found an acceptable one.

Slow and steady wins the race. My opinion is that too many people want too many things too fast

Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Jandrew,

It's really hard to put a lot of information in one little area at one time. But let me put it like this. I myself, have been here over 15 years and it took a few years to really find what I wanted. There are literally dozens of different areas with different cultures and climates in one metro area out here. Living by the beach is nothing like living Inland, and even among the beaches they have different attitudes and amenities as well.

Living in the San Fernando Valley is nothing like the San Gabriel Valley, and that's nothing like the Gateway cities around Cerritos, and that's nothing like the Anaheim area, and none of those areas are anything like living in the Inland Empire. It takes time for all these areas out and find what you like.

Then on top of that, is the job. Can you find a job where you want to live? I started out working in the South Bay, and my free time explore the entire metro area. From the Rolling Hills and cliffs of Southern Orange County all the way up to Ventura and out towards Riverside. I lived in a few different cities, with varying commutes, until I found a city I like.

Then I was able to apply at jobs in the area I lived in, until I finally found an acceptable one.

Slow and steady wins the race. My opinion is that too many people want too many things too fast
Thanks for the advice, 69Charger. Again I'm not so much concerned about "finding myself", I know what I want to do. Like I said, if I come to LA, it'll be career-related. I'm not going to come to LA just because it's LA.

It's just the getting around that concerns me. C-D makes LA sound like you're better off not leaving the house and ordering everything online. I don't wanna do that, I'm a "brick and mortar" type of person.

But as a few others have said, that's just the mentality I guess. I'll definitely be sure to check out Reddit that oh em gee mentioned.

Do you have answers to my other questions on the previous page? Are surface streets typically a better deal?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
Quote:
Im interested in moving to LA, but geez yall make it sound like it's almost impossible to function.
Not impossible, but it does take some planning, risk taking etc. If you come in with a marketable skill (ie. Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer etc) or if your an Entrepreneur and willing to take a risk and start a business or service you can do very well. If you move in with few funds and try to make it by the seat of your pants, working one or two minimal wage or low paying jobs while paying 1500-2500 per month for a decent place it can eat you alive. Personally I love to drive so the traffic doesn't bother me too much, I try to time my drives in less busy times and use surface streets and canyons as much as possible, enjoy the scenery etc. One thing I would advise, after you find an area you like to live in try to move away from renting and into owning, either a home or condo if you can. Renting at say $2000 a month gets expensive and not bad to do in your 20-30's a but as you get older, especially nearing retirement in your 60's you will have paid a lot of rent money to someone else with basically nothing to show for it, not much equity in rent payments. That sounds fine/crazy for some, but as you approach your 60's and older you may not want to do the grind and work as much or make as much, if you want to retire its difficult to maintain that high rent with no new income rolling in, or if you want to move inland later in life such as Palm Springs or something, you will have nothing to sell for a down payment or equity etc. Come out here, bust butt and work hard and you will be fine, be smart with money etc, try to work for yourself and make your own destiny instead of making someone else rich. Good Luck if you Dive in, it can be a great place to live and play.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Not impossible, but it does take some planning, risk taking etc. If you come in with a marketable skill (ie. Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer etc) or if your an Entrepreneur and willing to take a risk and start a business or service you can do very well. If you move in with few funds and try to make it by the seat of your pants, working one or two minimal wage or low paying jobs while paying 1500-2500 per month for a decent place it can eat you alive. Personally I love to drive so the traffic doesn't bother me too much, I try to time my drives in less busy times and use surface streets and canyons as much as possible, enjoy the scenery etc. One thing I would advise, after you find an area you like to live in try to move away from renting and into owning, either a home or condo if you can. Renting at say $2000 a month gets expensive and not bad to do in your 20-30's a but as you get older, especially nearing retirement in your 60's you will have paid a lot of rent money to someone else with basically nothing to show for it, not much equity in rent payments. That sounds fine/crazy for some, but as you approach your 60's and older you may not want to do the grind and work as much or make as much, if you want to retire its difficult to maintain that high rent with no new income rolling in, or if you want to move inland later in life such as Palm Springs or something, you will have nothing to sell for a down payment or equity etc. Come out here, bust butt and work hard and you will be fine, be smart with money etc, try to work for yourself and make your own destiny instead of making someone else rich. Good Luck if you Dive in, it can be a great place to live and play.
Thanks for the advice, 426Hemi. I can't speak for my 60s as I'm only 23 lol. That's a long ways away. But yeah if I realize LA is the move for me, I'll definitely be saving up first.

Yeah that's the thing about LA. You might be stuck on a drive, but at least the views are typically gorgeous by what I've seen. I've been stuck in traffic where the view is bleh. That sounds cool about the surface streets. I've realized that freeways don't really offer the best views outside of views of city centers.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM

817 posts, read 753,062 times
Jandrew,

I've lived in multiple suburbs in this metro area, and to make a long story short driving on the street wasn't a whole lot different than any other major city in this country. Day-to-day activities, grocery store, etc.

I also lived in Hollywood, and Glendale. Part of my commute was through Koreatown. Those streets are noticeably busier, especially during the holidays and if there's anything going on that would shut the streets down. I also feel Wilshire and Sepulveda can be quite busy and slow. Same with Santa Monica.

Maybe this Is oversimplifying It, but the more desirable and/or touristy an area is, the busier the streets are. The more suburban and average it is, the more it's like any other city

Old 03-16-2017, 03:21 PM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, 426Hemi. I can't speak for my 60s as I'm only 23 lol. That's a long ways away. But yeah if I realize LA is the move for me, I'll definitely be saving up first.

Yeah that's the thing about LA. You might be stuck on a drive, but at least the views are typically gorgeous by what I've seen. I've been stuck in traffic where the view is bleh. That sounds cool about the surface streets. I've realized that freeways don't really offer the best views outside of views of city centers.
Only in my 30's here, but worked and save to buy a home in a nice area, couldn't stand renting and throwing money away; really wouldn't want to rent in my 60's and I work with people who do. 23 is too young to buy, figure out what and where you want, and then work towards your ultimate goal, what ever that is.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:14 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:

I actually enjoy the view from some of the freeways. Since we don't have a lot of tall building some interchanges have great views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Only in my 30's here, but worked and save to buy a home in a nice area, couldn't stand renting and throwing money away; really wouldn't want to rent in my 60's and I work with people who do. 23 is too young to buy, figure out what and where you want, and then work towards your ultimate goal, what ever that is.
Things were a little different and a little cheaper when I bought at 25. I never paid non family for rent. I picked Los Angeles and committed to make it work with roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles