Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

I think people just get used to things a certain way . If it's a rental it's a shame a landlord would keep it in such shape or allow tenants to keep the property in bad shape.

If it's a rental it's likely that the tenants have been there for years or decades and are getting a great deal on rent versus market rents and maybe the landlord figures they don't have to do much because the tenant is paying so little .

Rent control doesn't help things as far as overall appearance . Although single family homes aren't under rent control .

Someone mentioned two mailboxes so possibly a duplex in that photo .

There are some areas where this is really noticeable . More in the neighborhoods closer to downtown ..Silver lake ,echo park , highland park , glassel park ,

These areas have been more working class and immigrant areas where people initially bought there because the prices were cheaper and then the areas actually started becoming more appealing with new restaurants,bars and amenities .

In reading the headlines though it's easy to get the perception that these areas are totally gentrified by now but this is definitely not the case in reality .

So many people say stuff like "the white hipsters pushed out all the Hispanic immigrants in echo park" but the neighborhood still has a Hispanic majority .

If these folks own their own homes or are under rent control why would they move ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:30 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
it's called poor people, op.

if you're ever on the road and you notice someone doing something very stupid (not someone doing something a-hole-ish; there's a big difference), chances are, that person is driving a piece of $hit car.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

if you're ever on the road and you notice someone doing something very stupid (not someone doing something a-hole-ish; there's a big difference), chances are, that person is driving a piece of $hit car.
Some people that make good money drive ****ty cars.

They usually live in nice places though .

A fancy car doesn't appreciate in value and only loses value but a home can appreciate a lot . Of course they can go down in value too but at least they have potential to appreciate and in SoCal property has appreciated a lot long term .

Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh em gee View Post
Hold the presses everyone, there are houses out there called fixer uppers!
Yep and the going rate for fixer uppers in decent parts of LA is $400k and up. I looked at a house in Canyon Country that was asking $420k and needed new floors, new kitchen before move in and had some large holes in interior walls and multiple broken or missing doors....but it was a single family house with a yard!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Some people that make good money drive ****ty cars.

They usually live in nice places though .

A fancy car doesn't appreciate in value and only loses value but a home can appreciate a lot . Of course they can go down in value too but at least they have potential to appreciate and in SoCal property has appreciated a lot long term .
And then if you go to Glendale you can see plenty of people living in crappy apartments and driving leased $100K+ cars. I have even used to have a neighbor that parked his Lamborghini on the street in front of his old crappy apartment building where he didn't even have a parking spot...but he had a sweet ride for as long as he could keep up with payments.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh em gee View Post
The third house I bought in LA was in such terrible condition that the first time I walked in through the back door my leg went through the floorboards because the washer had been leaking on the area for years. There was a dead skunk in the pool that had probably 3-4 feet of standing water, leaves, and mud. There were 3 cars (clearly inoperable) chilling on the front lawn.

This is how you make $. Not by buying some lipstick house with builder grade granite and stainless crap.

How about you, do you own any properties in LA? Clearly you haven't been here long if you think this is some new or unusual phenomenon.
How much did you pay for the house ? What year ?

Some good tax free money can be made that way if done right too . Live in house for 2 yrs and 250k is tax free on capital gains if single and 500k if married

Buying under market also gives you a good buffer if the housing market drops , while if you bought at retail you might be underwater .

If you plan on living in a house forever or a very long time like 30 years it's not going to matter as much .

We are in an up sellers market but at some point that will change .

Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
And then if you go to Glendale you can see plenty of people living in crappy apartments and driving leased $100K+ cars. I have even used to have a neighbor that parked his Lamborghini on the street in front of his old crappy apartment building where he didn't even have a parking spot...but he had a sweet ride for as long as he could keep up with payments.
Oh yeah this is definitely common in the la area . Very common in places like Glendale like you said .

I think many figure they'll never buy property so they'll just spend their money on a nice car .
You have a ton of people in la living with family too just because rent is so high .
Even in their late 20s or 30s it seems common these days .

Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

Nope, it's not all about poverty, but LAZINESS. Paint and cutting shrubs, etc. can do wonders. These barely cost anything.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:24 PM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would guess that over half the people in the country have either no taste, or no money to fix up their homes.

From what I see on most of the home improvement shows, in California you can get a half million dollars for a run down dump, so what is the incentive to do better?

I'm the kind of person who can't let a day go by if I have a burned out lightbulb, but others can live in squalor and they don't care.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would guess that over half the people in the country have either no taste, or no money to fix up their homes.

From what I see on most of the home improvement shows, in California you can get a half million dollars for a run down dump, so what is the incentive to do better?

I'm the kind of person who can't let a day go by if I have a burned out lightbulb, but others can live in squalor and they don't care.
There is very little incentive to overpay for any non-DIY (e.g. contractor performed) work. They rob the homeowner blind. That means, there is literally a negative ROI for most jobs, unless done in a very DIY manner.

This is not rocket science, it's basic economics.

What cracks me up are all these "lifestyle" people who dump 100 or 200K into a mega job, and then end up selling only a few months after completion. It's great ... for the next owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles