Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:56 PM

81 posts, read 339,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Well it looks like there is a VERY good chance that I will be moving to LA withing the next year.

I am going through my background check with the LAFD right now. If I make it through, I would most likely be starting the academy in Fall/Winter.

If I do not get the job, I am most likely moving out there anyway for school. I will be graduating with my AA Fire Protection Technician here in Milwaukee, WI in December. There aren't many places that offer a BS in Fire Administration, but Cal State-LA does.(They require you to have your AA first) Then apply to LAFD again once my driving record cleans up a bit.(I was told I could skip straight to the interview which I would pass if I said the same things that I did to pass this time)

In the situation that I moved there for school, I would be starting spring quarter in March(I think?) I would most likely work part-time for a private ambulance since I'm already a Firefighter/EMT in WI. Then during the summer, I would try to work as a seasonal wildland firefighter for Angeles National Forest.

If I got the job with LAFD, I would of course have decent money from that job. They work a lot of overtime and they told me that I would be making about 100k/year after I'm out of the academy. After awhile, it would go up.(Avg is 120k/year)

If I went for college, I would be taking out student loans. It comes to about 11k/year for my first year. After I become a resident(1 year), I think it will go to around 3k/year. I would only be working part-time as an EMT making about $10/hour. However, during summer, I've been told to expect about 24k for those few months.

So that's my whole background situation. My main question would be about where to live.

I would really like to live in Santa Monica. I haven't been there yet(I would never get a place without going there first), but I know that it is very walkable. This is something that I would like. I want to be able to go out to the bars and clubs(I'll be 21 in Sep.), and be able to walk home. However, I'm not sure that I could afford a place there. I wouldn't need more than a small studio. There is only one place that I think would be alright.(Maybe 1k?)

Barry Investment Group in Los Angeles, CA

Otherwise I was thinking maybe the Hollywood/Highland area? I saw a cheaper place around there. I'm not sure if that's considered Hollywood or West Hollywood.

I would really like a walkable area. I will most likely have a car no matter what.(just worried about insurance) However, I would like to also get around whenever I can without it. I know Santa Monica is easy without one, but if I'm leaving the city, there is no subway. Hollywood area would have the red line which I could take to Union Station. Then the Metrolink to CSULA.

So which area would be better for a 21 year old?

How long would commute times be? I know they aren't too bad without traffic, but what could I expect? Also, if I'm going to college or even with the full time LAFD job, I probably won't be driving at normal work hours.

What are the advantages of Santa Monica vs Hollywood vs West Hollywood?

Remember, it is just me though. No family or anything. If I got the job and was starting a family, I would probably pick Santa Monica because of the schools. However, I wouldn't have to worry about that for awhile.

Thanks and sorry for this being so long.
Expect outrageous car insurance here in LA. It is at least twice the national average. I have to tell you that if you are thinking of raising a family, just don't do it in LA. I don't know how people can afford it.

It depends on your personal preference where you want to live. West Hollywood is predominantly gay, but I will tell you that I lived in Weho from 1994 to 2002, left and moved back here in 2007 and it was a much better place in the early 1990s. What I see now is a city that is getting dirtier with an ever-increasing homeless problem that is an eye sore. Apartment prices in WeHo are probably among the highest in the city and it doesn't keep he riff-raff out one bit. Plus, the traffic here is a nightmare.

Hollywood is a dump, so forget it.

I've never been a fan of Santa Monica. Much of it now doesn't look appealing either.

One thing you have to remember about LA, you say you want nightlife, and LA has it but it is not found in one area. There are nightlifes all over the city with different tastes. Los Angeles is spread out over a wide, wide area and there really is no "centrally located" area where it all happens like say New York.

You say you want nightlife, then you want to raise a family. Both of those are two different things and will require you to perhaps live in one area until you find your mate, then move to another area to raise children. The best family area in my opinion is the Valencia area, about 30 miles north of Los Angeles. It is a hell of a commute but it is clean, safe and appealing which most areas of this city no longer are.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 PM

242 posts, read 433,076 times
I also moved to California from Wisconsin, and based upon the cities you listed, would definately recommend Santa Monica. I also used to live near Cal State L.A. and could offer advice on that area as well. If you're really interested in clubs, you can always drive to Hollywood to visit them - you don't need to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles