Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:12 PM

508 posts, read 503,686 times

Advertisements

My Two Cents on Pico is black owned and is a great place to get some lunch or Brunch. A lot of younger AA's go there.

Stuff I Eat is another place that's black owned and great to eat. It's Vegan Soul/Mexican Food. .

Comfort LA is in DTLA for late night eats in DTLA. Also black owned.

Pips on La Brea is another option if you like Jazz.

The Little Easy in DTLA for libations. Not sure on the ratio of black people, but I always see a good amount of black people in there especially on fridays.

For hiking - Check out the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook (A.K.A Culver City Stairs). Black People seem to like working on there.

There is more but that should be a good start.

For other nightlife or parties. It would be best to google some party promoters and hiphop shows around town. A lot of the best events for AA's tend to be flyer type events. Or like the "Do Over" which usually happens on Sundays. Or parties related to Fraternities/Sororities groups.

Also, Events on EventBright https://www.eventbrite.com/d/ca--los...ip-hop-events/

Last edited by afropack-man; 03-27-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
One man's opinion who's lived here for 10 years and spent a lot of time hanging out in Hollywood, West Hollywood, Koreatown, DTLA, SFV, Pasadena, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Eagle Rock etc. I generally go to mainstream clubs, bars, restaurants, coffee shops etc that cater to the entire population not just a single race or sub culture. And my experience has been in the average place that I see 2-10 black people per 100 people. I lived DC for a year and I would generally see 4-5x as many black people in similar establishments there.

While we are at it, why is this discussion ok in 2017? If I was posting asking about businesses that catered to a white crowd I'd be looked down upon by the mostly white liberal crowd here

Old 03-27-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
One man's opinion who's lived here for 10 years and spent a lot of time hanging out in Hollywood, West Hollywood, Koreatown, DTLA, SFV, Pasadena, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Eagle Rock etc. I generally go to mainstream clubs, bars, restaurants, coffee shops etc that cater to the entire population not just a single race or sub culture. And my experience has been in the average place that I see 2-10 black people per 100 people. I lived DC for a year and I would generally see 4-5x as many black people in similar establishments there.

While we are at it, why is this discussion ok in 2017? If I was posting asking about businesses that catered to a white crowd I'd be looked down upon by the mostly white liberal crowd here
I've been living here my whole life. I'll take my opinion over yours any day.

If somebody asked, "What are the best places to eat for Sweeds in L.A.?" I'd reccomend Olsons Scandinavian Deli

In this case, he said AA/ African American. So, I wouldn't recommend a reggae club would I? I recommended places that have a good African American clientele. He didn't say the average place, just places with a good percentage of black people. Which there are.

I'm not sure why I even replied.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:14 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
Thanks afro-packman,, that's a huge help.... And ryanms3030.. thanks as well.. sorry if the question offends you... and to answer ur question, no one would ever have to ask tht question any where in america... whites are the majority and the most economically powerful demographic.. If its asked in Johannesburg, its a legit question.. Or if a scottish guy asked in London....so its a legit question for minorities in america (korean, ethiopian, muslim, turkish, jewish, african american etc).. As far as this question is concerned: I'm interested to experience blk culture as it specifically relates to LA... it wont be the entire time of course bc I'd miss out on a lot of great things but i do want to experience it.

So sorry if the question bothered you but thanks for your help nonetheless.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Also, Comedy Clubs are a good idea. The Comedy Union usually is where a lot of black (sometimes famous) comics go. If you want to do something different and local.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:53 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Food wise, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Hollywood is great.

The Laugh Factory in West Hollywood does a comedy program on Sundays called Chocolate Sundaes that's worth checking out.

I find a lot of the Hollywood clubs that play hip-hop to be disappointing from a music and patron standpoint. It's just a big, cheesy scene and not a lot of quality women if you're looking to mingle. You'd be better off going out to some nicer bars in West Hollywood.

In general, most black-owned businesses and establishments primarily frequented by blacks are in the south LA region.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
I haven't been to too many places that were mostly black, but the Cork and The Living Room were mostly AA when I was there, though they are slightly divey. Also Harold And Belles is a nice creole seafood in that same neighborhood. Can't think of any mostly AA club nights in Hollywood, but there has to be a couple somewhere.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Eat at Dulans on Crenshaw (Crenshaw and 48th street).

Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles

Old 03-29-2017, 11:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deshawn.. View Post
Not if and when this new administration gets their way..
A Trump supporter, eh?

Inglewood and Compton are going to be Latino-majority enclaves regardless of Donald Trump being president or not.

Guess what? At one point, they were both majority-White areas long before blacks came in.

Neighborhoods change. Get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles