U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,505,226 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately in the paper warner center news there was an article that a new owner purchased the shopping center where Cables was. The plans of the new owners according to the article is to tear down the whole shopping center and build apartments. Does Woodland Hills need more apartments?

Even though I live in seattle I'm visiting my parents in Encino for 2 weeks. I have friends who live in Woodland Hills. Sunday I drove around the westfield topanga parking lot for 35 minutes at 3pm before I could actually get a parking spot. Today at the Ralphs parking lot at Topanga and Ventura I also struggled to find a parking spot and the parking lot was very congested.

The new Westfield Promenade project with tons of condos and apartments won't make the woodland hills nieghborhood better but turn woodland hills into a Manhatten New York traffic situation.

Unfortunately people in LA are too snobby to take public transportation unless they are disabled or homeless.

In seattle tons of people in my apartment building don't own cars. My apartment building in Seattle allows only one car per apartment unit and charges $135 a month for parking. On the street near my apartment building in Seattle the whole street is marked with no parking signs.

My Seattle apartment is a block from the under constuction light rail that will go from Seattle international airport to lynnwood,washington. This light rail will open in 2022.

If the city of Los Angeles wants to allow tons of density with apartments people need to give up their love for cars .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,746,854 times
It has to happen regardless. It's like trying to contain your dog in a puppy sized cage, even though he is too big he still wants to live in it. Time to ween him into the new kennel.

Of course, most of the current generations still living here like the car. But newer angelenos down the line will embrace what has been placed for them.
You, me, my parents, our grandparents have been conditioned to believe that a city with mainly cars and like 1% public transit is normal. But it's not.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,505,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It has to happen regardless. It's like trying to contain your dog in a puppy sized cage, even though he is too big he still wants to live in it. Time to ween him into the new kennel.

Of course, most of the current generations still living here like the car. But newer angelenos down the line will embrace what has been placed for them.
You, me, my parents, our grandparents have been conditioned to believe that a city with mainly cars and like 1% public transit is normal. But it's not.
A big city with mainly cars and 1% public transit isn't normal at all.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:22 PM

3,787 posts, read 1,853,540 times
never seen someone so obsessed with the place they used to live before. Especially an inconsequential place like Woodland Hills that nobody here even cares about unless they live there

Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 PM

16,576 posts, read 9,796,699 times
Property owners will generally look for the best and highest use for their property.
Especially if someone just bought the property it's not surprising they would want to redevelop it .
There is a demand for new housing in the area otherwise people wouldn't be building it .
Anybody that has the millions to develop is going to do their research to see if there is demand.

There will be more of this happening .. more density ..all over the valley and the city .

Old 03-29-2017, 01:08 PM

12,825 posts, read 17,572,116 times
All up and down the state, in any "hip" area, we are seeing commercial and industrial sites being rezoned into dense pack for the surging Millennials.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,746,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
All up and down the state, in any "hip" area, we are seeing commercial and industrial sites being rezoned into dense pack for the surging Millennials.
Or just simply a growing population.

But I know what you mean. Some say the Millennials spawned from a hole discovered in Nevada.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:45 PM

15,878 posts, read 17,387,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Unfortunately in the paper warner center news there was an article that a new owner purchased the shopping center where Cables was. The plans of the new owners according to the article is to tear down the whole shopping center and build apartments. Does Woodland Hills need more apartments?

Even though I live in seattle I'm visiting my parents in Encino for 2 weeks. I have friends who live in Woodland Hills. Sunday I drove around the westfield topanga parking lot for 35 minutes at 3pm before I could actually get a parking spot. Today at the Ralphs parking lot at Topanga and Ventura I also struggled to find a parking spot and the parking lot was very congested.

The new Westfield Promenade project with tons of condos and apartments won't make the woodland hills nieghborhood better but turn woodland hills into a Manhatten New York traffic situation.

Unfortunately people in LA are too snobby to take public transportation unless they are disabled or homeless.

In seattle tons of people in my apartment building don't own cars. My apartment building in Seattle allows only one car per apartment unit and charges $135 a month for parking. On the street near my apartment building in Seattle the whole street is marked with no parking signs.

My Seattle apartment is a block from the under constuction light rail that will go from Seattle international airport to lynnwood,washington. This light rail will open in 2022.

If the city of Los Angeles wants to allow tons of density with apartments people need to give up their love for cars .
You don't know what you're talking about. Plenty of people in LA now take mass transit.

I did it for 5 years, took Metrolink from Van Nuys to downtown, loved it.

Who do you think is riding these trains like the Gold Line? Mostly people getting to work.

You go to a busy shopping mall on a Sunday and you're surprised you had to drive around for parking? If you were here for two weeks visiting, here's a tip go to the mall on Monday. As the old song says "what a difference a day makes".

Just like anywhere else, from NJ to CA shopping malls are going to be busiest on weekends.

If tourists in Seattle go to Pike Place Market on a weekend, it's going to be busier than on a weekday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
never seen someone so obsessed with the place they used to live before. Especially an inconsequential place like Woodland Hills that nobody here even cares about unless they live there
Amazing isn't it?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 AM

16,576 posts, read 9,796,699 times
I think more people don't take public transit because it doesn't work for their particular commute rather than out of snobbiness . There is definitely a car culture in L.A still though. Many view cars as a status symbol rather than simply transportation .

There are parts of L.A that are already so dense and traffic clogged that it's not pleasant to drive in . Much of the westside , Hollywood and definitely downtown la .
Parking is expensive and or scarce in these areas too .

Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM

29 posts, read 8,457 times
This ^^^^^^^^^.
My commute is 17.2 miles and usually takes 30 - 40 minutes door to door. I live within a half mile of both a Metro rail station and a bus transit hub. The Metro rail lines go no where near where I work which happens to be next to an airport. According to Metro's own trip planner, my commute by bus would take 120 - 180 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles