Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 11,936 times

Advertisements

I currently still live in Chicago, but I'll be moving soon. I'm in the process of getting the license and certification for a healthcare job so I can work in the state of California. I specify in my cover letter that I'll be relocating, but of course, it would still feel like an inconvenience to employers to interview someone out of state. I've been trying to find long-term hostels to make it easier. It's a hard situation to need a job lined up so I can get an apartment, but also need to already be there to get the job. Catch 22. Is there something that can make this easier? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 11:35 PM

88 posts, read 89,349 times
It will be very difficult or almost impossible. My only suggestion is to look for jobs at the usual places monster.com, indeed.com, linked.com, etc.

I was able to find a job from out of state and moved to LA. I'm in software engineering with over 10 years experience. I had 3 interviews with 3 different companies over the 1 year period of searching for LA from out of state.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:29 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,809 times
You're being too honest, in my opinion.

What I'd recommend doing is remove any trace of your address or your current city of employment from your resume - bring that up early in the interview process. They might pass over you at that point, but by holding off until they have already put some degree of investment into the process will at least give you some opportunity to blow them away and make them consider you, whereas by giving it away before they even speak to you makes it exceedingly easy for them to filter you in the initial purge of applications.

You'll find it easier if you also agree right off to forego a relo package if you think that might be a problem for you to wedge into the door. If you're really desperate, you can even offer to fly out for interviews on your own dime. It just depends on how in-demand you think you are.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:12 AM

119 posts, read 155,658 times
LA is full. No vacancy. Sorry Bro.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 AM

231 posts, read 201,229 times
LA unemployment rate has gone down but the population in California is so big, there are probably so many applicants at any job that already live in CA who are qualified.

Why hire a qualified person who already lives in the area than someone coming in from out of state?

If you really wanna live in LA then just move there and job hunt ASAP. Don't give up.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You're being too honest, in my opinion.

What I'd recommend doing is remove any trace of your address or your current city of employment from your resume - bring that up early in the interview process. They might pass over you at that point, but by holding off until they have already put some degree of investment into the process will at least give you some opportunity to blow them away and make them consider you, whereas by giving it away before they even speak to you makes it exceedingly easy for them to filter you in the initial purge of applications.

You'll find it easier if you also agree right off to forego a relo package if you think that might be a problem for you to wedge into the door. If you're really desperate, you can even offer to fly out for interviews on your own dime. It just depends on how in-demand you think you are.
I agree, not disclosing my address is the best move. It may seem deceptive but who cares.

I specify that I can fly myself out there. But, I'm really just going to scrap that and not even let them know where I live, lol. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
LA is full. No vacancy. Sorry Bro.
lol. Do you take bribes? You seem like a reasonable landlord.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnidroid View Post
LA unemployment rate has gone down but the population in California is so big, there are probably so many applicants at any job that already live in CA who are qualified.

Why hire a qualified person who already lives in the area than someone coming in from out of state?

If you really wanna live in LA then just move there and job hunt ASAP. Don't give up.
Yeah, exactly. I'll do that, I'm just going to have to try a million times harder to find a sublet or something.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,000,043 times
Most hospitals are in chains. Can you do a transfer?

Old 04-09-2017, 09:40 PM

50 posts, read 38,636 times
Vantablack, I'm in healthcare too and went through a similar process.
At first, I sent out resume and got replies for interviews which was great but when I explained I didn't live in the area, they would say "sorry but let us know when you are".

While I was waiting for my occupational license, I decided to leave my address as it was on my resume, it didn't seem anyone was noticing anyway. I sent it out but this time I set up those interviews for 1-2 weeks later and booked a rt ticket for 3 weeks (in case I would called back) and a room and came over, renting a car. It was risky but I was able to sell my skills in the interviews and was offered the jobs. I then made the decision for which one was the best fit but they were all willing to wait for me which at the time was another 2 months!

Maybe you can try doing that. Set up interviews within a week or two, come on down and mention it during the interview after they offer you the position. You could just say you are finishing a project in Chicago and will be available starting "X" date.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles