U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 8,254 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have a huge problem - but a good problem to have: We work from home, make low six figure incomes (each) and can live in any city or state that we want in the US excluding Hawaii and Alaska.

My wife has lived in the San Diego area many years ago and would like for us to move to the Los Angeles area. I'd like to hear a variety of perspectives on being 35-50, married, and living in Los Angeles.

We currently spend about $4,500 / month living a lavish lifestyle near Phoenix.
Our budget can support an additional $4,000 in spending per month and still allow us to max out our various retirement accounts. I expect about $500 per month to go towards the higher tax rate (based on online calculators estimating our taxes) leaving us an additional $3500 to spend on housing, higher utilities, higher food, higher gas, higher insurance, etc.

Currently we pay $1500/month to rent a 4bdrm / 3bath, 2800 sq ft home with pool, 2 car garage, nice appliances.

We are willing to downsize to a 2bdrm / 2bath apartment and one parking space to make this move a reality.

We don't care about traffic as we won't be commuting to work - just getting to the grocery store twice a week.

We will not have school age children while living in Los Angeles.

Are there reasonably safe neighborhoods that can fit our budget (max $5000/ month for rent and utilities at least 2bed/2bath and a parking spot)?
Will these neighborhoods be walkable?
Will these neighborhoods be reasonably close (less than 1hr drive) to great entertainment options and/or the beach?
Is Los Angeles bicycle friendly?

What else would be a major attraction for someone in my situation to live in Los Angeles? (I've heard 20yr olds dreaming of living in LA, what draws the slightly older crowd - I already make decent money and won't be changing jobs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 PM

23 posts, read 11,035 times
I'm also 35-50, similar salary, and work from home. I have 1 child.

I moved due to weather and asian culture. I used to live in a place that snows and I'm glad I don't have to shovel anymore.

I think LA has the best asian food in USA. better than new york or san francisco.

I think you can easily move back if things don't work out.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:10 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,359,808 times
For $1500 you probably need to downsize to a 1 bedroom unless you want to live relatively far out of LA or in a bad neighborhood

Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM

840 posts, read 442,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
For $1500 you probably need to downsize to a 1 bedroom unless you want to live relatively far out of LA or in a bad neighborhood
They said 5000. 1500 is what they spend in phx. They are living in reality and 5k should get a decent place.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
They said 5000. 1500 is what they spend in phx. They are living in reality and 5k should get a decent place.
Well that's a different story. $5000/mo is definitely doable

Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 PM

659 posts, read 437,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
Are there reasonably safe neighborhoods that can fit our budget (max $5000/ month for rent and utilities at least 2bed/2bath and a parking spot)?
That's a good budget for a 2bed/2bath apt and there won't be too many neighborhoods you're priced out of. You should have decent choices in just about any neighborhood you want.

Quote:
Will these neighborhoods be walkable?
Depends on what neighborhood you choose, but there are several old streetcar neighborhoods and beach towns that have a commercial street that is very walkable. It's getting from neighborhood to neighborhood that people tend to want a car.

Quote:
Will these neighborhoods be reasonably close (less than 1hr drive) to great entertainment options and/or the beach?
Yes, with your budget and needs you could afford most neighborhoods from downtown to the beach, or some of the beach cities of the South Bay, which are the general areas I would recommend based on your wants.

Quote:
Is Los Angeles bicycle friendly?
Not as much as you'd hope. There are some nice beach paths, and the weather is nice. Bicycle infrastructure isn't as good as some cities like Portland or Minneapolis. Over the course of a couple of years, I saw 2 cyclist hit by cars on Sunset in Silver Lake, so use a lot of caution. The city has tried to add more bike lanes, but that means eliminating traffic lanes or parking, so there is pushback when they try.

Quote:
What else would be a major attraction for someone in my situation to live in Los Angeles? (I've heard 20yr olds dreaming of living in LA, what draws the slightly older crowd - I already make decent money and won't be changing jobs).
The weather, variey of outdoor activities, diversity of cuisine, big city cultural institutions, large airport with direct flights all over the world (especially to Asia/Oceana).

Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post

Not as much as you'd hope. There are some nice beach paths, and the weather is nice. Bicycle infrastructure isn't as good as some cities like Portland or Minneapolis. Over the course of a couple of years, I saw 2 cyclist hit by cars on Sunset in Silver Lake, so use a lot of caution. The city has tried to add more bike lanes, but that means eliminating traffic lanes or parking, so there is pushback when they try.

Depends on the definition of bicycle friendly. The LA area is probably second to Colorado as the hot spots for serious cyclists in the US. Go up to Angles highway on the weekend and it's full of road cyclists. There are many areas of LA that have great road riding and it's actually much safer then many parts of the country because there is some awareness here. There is also a lot of great mountain biking in the area

Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 AM

659 posts, read 437,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Depends on the definition of bicycle friendly. The LA area is probably second to Colorado as the hot spots for serious cyclists in the US. Go up to Angles highway on the weekend and it's full of road cyclists. There are many areas of LA that have great road riding and it's actually much safer then many parts of the country because there is some awareness here. There is also a lot of great mountain biking in the area
These things are all true. I think LA COULD have been an amazing bike city. I agree that there plenty of cycling enthusiasts and its not the worst city for biking. There just aren't enough off street bike paths and there is too much traffic for it to be safe enough for regular commuting for most people. My friends that commute by bike have all either been hit or had close calls. That is probably true for most car commuters as well, but at least they have more protection.

The city is trying to add bike infrastructure to make it safer, but since retrofitting means the city has to take away from car drivers (either parking or traffic lanes) to give bike lanes to cyclists, there is a lot of resistance to expanding the network. If LA had a network like Portland or Minneapolis, there would be tons of bicycle commuters.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
These things are all true. I think LA COULD have been an amazing bike city. I agree that there plenty of cycling enthusiasts and its not the worst city for biking. There just aren't enough off street bike paths and there is too much traffic for it to be safe enough for regular commuting for most people. My friends that commute by bike have all either been hit or had close calls. That is probably true for most car commuters as well, but at least they have more protection.

The city is trying to add bike infrastructure to make it safer, but since retrofitting means the city has to take away from car drivers (either parking or traffic lanes) to give bike lanes to cyclists, there is a lot of resistance to expanding the network. If LA had a network like Portland or Minneapolis, there would be tons of bicycle commuters.
Yes, I would hesitate about riding through Silverlake, downtown or more densely populated areas with high amounts of immigrant drivers. But areas like Pasadena, Glendale and Burbank all have extensive bike lanes as well as all along Foothill and into SGV and parts of SFV. And where I live now in Santa Clarita they have an entire system of multiuse bike/pedestrian paths so you can ride 20 miles without getting on a street with cars. So OP can definitely find that if it's a priority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles