Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Thought the economy in L.A was 'booming' .
How can we afford to hire attorneys for illegal aliens and remain a sanctuary city and lose federal funds with a $224 million deficit?

--
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti plans to take a simpler approach than usual during his state of the city speech. The mayor will deliver his address Thursday at City Hall — instead of at an off-site location like in years past — and he is expected to focus on fiscal prudence.
Garcetti will release his budget proposal on the same day, which should go into detail on how he plans to balance the books in the 2017-2018 fiscal year despite a deficit of at least $224 million.
Top city budget advisers have given ominous warnings in recent weeks about the city’s financial state, even as demand for city services among Angelenos is as great as ever.

Complaints of trash issues due to the growing number of homeless encampments has caused the Bureau of Sanitation to go over budget this year and require a fresh $2 million infusion.
Garcetti will also be going into his State of the City speech with crime recently on an uptick, after years of decline.

Mayor Garcetti to lay out plan to close budget deficit of more than $224 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Translation: Mayor Garcetti actually has no plan to close the $224,000,000 gap (really $334,000,000 gap with all the new entitlements passed last year).

Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Can any of you Garcetti supporters explain how we can have such a remarkably high deficit and yet have such a dilapidated and outdated infrastructure?

BTW, lest anybody forget, Slick Eric has a background of corruption and criminality:
https://www.google.com/#q=garcetti+seabreeze

Old 04-20-2017, 02:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
I could be a much better mayor than Garcetti. (Although if I was mayor I'd be certain to be recalled.)

Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Garcetti has it mixed up . Washington is started to get fixed and it's L.A's political system that's broken.
He thinks he's a model of moral leadership and bold action ? How ?

---

The 45-minute speech, delivered on the same day that Garcetti unveiled his 2017-18 budget, focused on gains he made in the last year, including the passage of taxes to address infrastructure and transportation.

“At a moment when the national conversation is anxious and divided, when our infrastructure is crumbling and the future feels uncertain when Washington seems broken,” Garcetti said, “this is a moment that calls for Los Angeles to lead, to be a model of moral leadership and bold action.”

Garcetti's State of the City speech focuses on homelessness, new revenue - LA Times

Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
I'm so glad I don't live in LA a place that hates Washington and Trump. This can't end well for LA.

I weaved potholes and drove through skid row and I've never seen so many homeless there. Not just the Main Streets it was a entire zoned area of tents and zombie homeless. One guy was trying to get in our car at a stop light. All that money allocated for homeless is not going to them obviously.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I'm so glad I don't live in LA a place that hates Washington and Trump. This can't end well for LA.

I weaved potholes and drove through skid row and I've never seen so many homeless there. Not just the Main Streets it was a entire zoned area of tents and zombie homeless. One guy was trying to get in our car at a stop light. All that money allocated for homeless is not going to them obviously.
This is neither the first, the only, nor will it be the last time LA has had it's differences with Washington.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post

A lot goes to "homeless advocates" and developers that profit from the homeless industry.
A lot of homeless (not all ) are involved in criminal activity unfortunately so a lot goes to the police to handle them too.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is neither the first, the only, nor will it be the last time LA has had it's differences with Washington.
It would be more accurate to say the politicians in L.A rather than the people of L.A .
The politicians are supposed to represent the citizens but that's kind of a joke when voter turnout is around 10 percent.
Of course only the voters can be blamed for their low turnout though .

Old 04-20-2017, 06:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It would be more accurate to say the politicians in L.A rather than the people of L.A .
The politicians are supposed to represent the citizens but that's kind of a joke when voter turnout is around 10 percent.
Of course only the voters can be blamed for their low turnout though .
On the issue of illegals, I doubt things would be much different if L.A. had higher voter turnout.
San Francisco and Oakland have voter turnout in the 40-50% range and are just as pro-illegal. (And that high turnout is despite the oaktown also having a large population of poor immigrants, which is why I don't buy it as an excuse for why L.A.'s turnout is as low as it is. )
There would be other issues that would be different - there'd be more transparency and accountability - but the immigration issue is not one of them.
Garcetti probably would not have won another term. Whoever would have replaced him would certainly have been on the left but more able to relate to the average person instead of a toff who lives in a rich white bubble and who actually paid attention to the needs of the community.

Last edited by majoun; 04-20-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles