Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:03 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,695,338 times

Advertisements

Although there are some lovely, attractive neighborhoods in Torrance such as Riviera, Seaside and Southwood Rivera to name a few, I can't help but notice that most neighborhoods throughout the city have very little curb appeal.

Of course, most homes in the Greater Los Angeles area are older and situated very close together, but in Torrance, I noticed a general dearth of residential and neighborhood landscaping that helps make some of the older, denser LA suburbs more aesthetically pleasing (e.g., Lakewood, Cerritos, etc.).

In addition to minimal or non-existent landscaping, I've also observed many residential properties in Torrance that have brown lawns, chain-link fences and are in dire need of a paint job or other cosmetic work.

The shopping plazas in Torrance don't look radically different from those you see in lower-income Carson or Hawthorne, especially along PCH, Sepulveda and Lomita -- kind of crowded, rundown and sketchy-looking, for the most part.

On the Los Angeles forum, it seems like Torrance is one of the most frequently recommended LA suburbs, but I really struggle to see its appeal. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I alone on this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM

51 posts, read 74,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Although there are some lovely, attractive neighborhoods in Torrance such as Riviera, Seaside and Southwood Rivera to name a few, I can't help but notice that most neighborhoods throughout the city have very little curb appeal.

Of course, most homes in the Greater Los Angeles area are older and situated very close together, but in Torrance, I noticed a general dearth of residential and neighborhood landscaping that helps make some of the older, denser LA suburbs more aesthetically pleasing (e.g., Lakewood, Cerritos, etc.).

In addition to minimal or non-existent landscaping, I've also observed many residential properties in Torrance that have brown lawns, chain-link fences and are in dire need of a paint job or other cosmetic work.

The shopping plazas in Torrance don't look radically different from those you see in lower-income Carson or Hawthorne, especially along PCH, Sepulveda and Lomita -- kind of crowded, rundown and sketchy-looking, for the most part.

On the Los Angeles forum, it seems like Torrance is one of the most frequently recommended LA suburbs, but I really struggle to see its appeal. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I alone on this one?
Why would anyone ever go to Torrance unless you lived there?

Srs question.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,533,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdeen View Post

Srs question.
Monkish, Smog City, and Japanese food.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 PM

83 posts, read 120,879 times
Quote:

Srs question.

Totally agree and I would say this about almost ALL of South Bay with the exception of the coastal cities (Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, etc.)

Old 04-24-2017, 06:50 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,928,547 times
Torrance is so dry. I had an interview there once and the area just brought me down. I don't care for South Bay at all. I did work in El Segundo once and that was enough for me. Manhattan Beach is okay.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,224,315 times
Quote:

Srs question.
Although I don't live in Torrance, Porsche South Bay (formerly Pacific Porsche), South Bay Lexus, Mitsuwa Marketplace, Nijiya Market, Island Eats, the Loft, King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant, Sam's Club, and Costco are enough to get me to venture there on a fairly regular basis.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,762,572 times
How much work can you do to a chain link fence? People in SoCal paint chain link fences?

"Shopping Plaza" - Places in Manhattan Beach on PCH are old too, do you really not know what's going on? If you don't get it you never will.

People suggest Torrance due to schools and proximity to Century City, DTLA, Westside jobs, Aerospace jobs, weather.

People that wanted newer bigger homes bought in the valley (Simi) in the 80s, and are enjoying their drives times increase over the last 30 years.

Those who wanted better looking neighborhoods and restrictive HOAs move to OC.

Last edited by thelopez2; 04-24-2017 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times
Quote:

Srs question.
Alpine Village.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 AM

13,564 posts, read 15,490,042 times
I take Crenshaw on my way up to Rancho Palos Verdes, and some of the neighborhoods I see along cross streets don't look particularly appealing.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times
Torrance depresses me. WhT a old ugly forgotten city. I could never live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles