Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM

817 posts, read 752,939 times

Advertisements

Based on attitudes I see both in other threads, and real life, I often wonder how people feel about this subject. Sure, L.A. is a key player, Alpha Global city with the best weather and entertainment in the world. It's not easy to make it here, or stay here, or live in the prime areas here. So when one makes it, are they not better than some toothless hillbilly living in a hillbilly shack? Or is it all subjective?

I for one know, people are quite jelly of the SoCal lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 02:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
I don't think I'm better than anybody. But I do chuckle when I read or hear about somebody who heads back to their home town and blames L.A. for their inability to make a go of it. Chances are very good that they would not have succeeded in any other city, but they really feel that L.A. is somehow at fault for their failure to launch.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:47 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
It is very subjective.

There are certainly some folks who move to LA, make a lot of money, buy a sports car, live in a beachfront house, and get a trophy wife, and then develop a superiority complex. This is the case for those who measure and compare themselves to others based on wealth accumulation and material possession.

Then there are others who may not make a lot of money per se, but have a career they enjoy and make just enough to live comfortably, and are happy that they can go outside to enjoy activities year round and do things that they perhaps couldn't do in other parts of the country.

At the end of the day, it depends on what one's objectives and goals are. Some folks are all about the pursuit of the glitz and glamor with the hopes of making a lot of money and/or achieving fame. For others, it's just about enjoying some of the less material things the city has to offer.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 PM

99 posts, read 68,395 times
Probably and it's important to women. Who, by the way, exist a few notches up on the sexual markeplace value. The Potato Queen might turn heads when she walks into the local Steak Barn, but she's just another plain one off the bus in LA. If your a guy can cares about this you've got bigger problems.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I don't think I'm better than anybody. But I do chuckle when I read or hear about somebody who heads back to their home town and blames L.A. for their inability to make a go of it. Chances are very good that they would not have succeeded in any other city, but they really feel that L.A. is somehow at fault for their failure to launch.
Agree 100%. It's not about being better. If someone has a desire to live somewhere and has the drive and a bit of luck, good for them.

Many times those who don't make it in LA, don't plan well. They don't save enough money prior to moving.

Than you get the ones on here who the more they divulge they have financial issues that they brought with them. I remember one who couldn't get by as a single person making 60K, than it comes out they have a car note and child support. That could be an issue in most places.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:28 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
I believe this concept has merit.

If you are good player in the NFL, are you more successful than a good player in the NCAA? I'd argue yes. As you stated, LA is an alpha city, and I'd argue it's more difficult to make it in an alpha city than it is in bodunk Ohio.

But OP used the words "better than" instead of "more successful"...which makes things entirely subjective. I'd argue my friend who inherited millions and lives on 300+ acres in Montana has it better than I do...but he's definitely not more successful than I am.

Not that I care...but you asked

Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times
successful to me is making a million dollars / yr minimum. so at this point in time, im a failure.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
LA is full of elitist snobs. Even the waitstaff in restaurants don't want to talk to customers. I think it's self hypnotism the only way they can justify living there and enduring the high COL is to think they are superior to all the tourists etc that don't live there

Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Where do you get this crap from? Most of us just live our lives and that's it. You watch too many movies.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 PM

996 posts, read 785,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Based on attitudes I see both in other threads, and real life, I often wonder how people feel about this subject. Sure, L.A. is a key player, Alpha Global city with the best weather and entertainment in the world. It's not easy to make it here, or stay here, or live in the prime areas here. So when one makes it, are they not better than some toothless hillbilly living in a hillbilly shack? Or is it all subjective?

I for one know, people are quite jelly of the SoCal lifestyle.
So do you own a 1969 charger? just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles