Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,535,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I swear some of ya'll are jacking up prices for the sake of trolling, are severely mis-informed, or doing your best to keep another car off the road. It sounds like the OP has a degree and is looking for a professional job, not go and beg for work in your local Home Depot.

OP, if you go on craigslist right now, you will some Apartments in areas such as Tarzana, and Sherman Oaks for 12-1500 per month. Hardly crap areas. Burbank and Valley Village as well.

Some posters apparently have this Hugh Hefner idea of what is good living and anything less is considered uncivilized. Ridiculous.
Spot on Jack.

Many on here like to embellish regarding rents and other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 01:43 PM

128 posts, read 147,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
1500 is fine, you could find something in k-town for that much. Just remember to add car expenses to that budget. Honestly L.A. is becoming more expensive than NYC metro (if you include car expenses) at the moment for renters - and you wouldn't have to deal with "traffic".

But as someone else suggested, do the roommate situation first if you don't have family here willing to help you out.
Yea not just car expenses..Phone/Electric/groceries/internet etc

I've never lived in a state where there was Income tax as well so for a single male if I were bring home 2500$ a month how much would go to income and federal ? Just to get an idea

Old 05-06-2017, 04:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,292,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post

I've never lived in a state where there was Income tax as well so for a single male if I were bring home 2500$ a month how much would go to income and federal ? Just to get an idea
With all the California fees including Federal fees like SS and Medicare , roughly about 25% of ur money will be taken from ur gross

Old 05-06-2017, 05:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,273,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Spot on Jack.

Many on here like to embellish regarding rents and other issues.
There is some embellishment of rent in this thread. But most people asking aren't taking into all the hidden expenses. Utilities - and al ot of landlords even charge sewer,w ater, trash now. Internet/cable. Sometimes mandatory renters insurance. That can easily be an extra couple hundred a month. so these posters are looking at a $1500 budget when in reality they need to be prepared for about $1700.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:43 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,211,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There is some embellishment of rent in this thread. But most people asking aren't taking into all the hidden expenses. Utilities - and al ot of landlords even charge sewer,w ater, trash now. Internet/cable. Sometimes mandatory renters insurance. .
Been a long time renter, here and there, in and out of L.A. and California ~ it is per course that utilities are an addition to the rent price listed - that is a no brainer and not really "hidden". "A lot"?, no, I don't believe that to be true but I have seen a few listings that do ask you pay for those extra utilities of water/sewage/trash - not even in other major metros I've been in ask for that, well not "a lot". And if they do ask for that, I'd look elsewhere, plenty of places don't ask for that. Internet/cable are usually not included anyways. Let's be realistic here and not live in fear.

I do however agree that it's better to overestimate than underestimate costs ~ but let's be realistic and within reason. And in my experience, the "hidden" expense would be with having a car and all the upkeep that goes with it.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,211,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
With all the California fees including Federal fees like SS and Medicare , roughly about 25% of ur money will be taken from ur gross
Pretty much.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 PM

20,650 posts, read 8,405,516 times
Lot of brand new apartment blocks going up in Hollywood. I took a detour down a street, due to road works tying up traffic, and it seemed the whole area was under construction where once upon a time it was garden apartment buildings and bungalows. At some point I would think prices would have to come down if there was a glut on the market. At the very least the older apartment buildings might lower rents to make them more attractive.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 PM

128 posts, read 147,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Lot of brand new apartment blocks going up in Hollywood. I took a detour down a street, due to road works tying up traffic, and it seemed the whole area was under construction where once upon a time it was garden apartment buildings and bungalows. At some point I would think prices would have to come down if there was a glut on the market. At the very least the older apartment buildings might lower rents to make them more attractive.
I should look there then. thanks for pointing that out

Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,273,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
maybe, but what we are seeing so far is these large new fancy complexes have more vacancies than they care for - like the domain, huxley, etc. while mom and pop small buildings remain full, b/c they are far more affordable.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,292,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There is some embellishment of rent in this thread. But most people asking aren't taking into all the hidden expenses. Utilities - and al ot of landlords even charge sewer,w ater, trash now. Internet/cable. Sometimes mandatory renters insurance. That can easily be an extra couple hundred a month. so these posters are looking at a $1500 budget when in reality they need to be prepared for about $1700.
I've been in LA over a decade and lived in 5 different Apartments and have never been required to pay for water, garbage, or renters insurance. In fact, in 2 of the 3 places I haven't had to pay utilities. One bulding manager told me I would be responsible for the trash and he never saw me again When most people come on these threads, I think they are asking about a straight up rent total. The rest depends on someone's situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles