Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times

Advertisements

Your options definitely open up since you don't have to worry about school districts for kids. And given that you don't care about nightlife and perhaps don't mind living in a quieter area perhaps with fewer amenities, there are definitely a number of solid suburbs that aren't too expensive relatively speaking. Based on your combined income and assuming you've got savings in the high five figure range for a down payment, I'd say you could probably pay up to $600K for a house depending.

Obviously, it depends on where your husband ultimately finds a job, but below are my top recommendations:

Santa Clarita (north LA county)
Simi Valley (northwest LA county)
Chatsworth / Granada Hills (San Fernando Valley which is part of the city of Los Angeles)
Glendora / La Verne / Claremont (east LA county)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM

127 posts, read 364,713 times
Thanks everyone! This will definitely help me start narrowing my focus.

My husband is a veteran so we use a VA loan, which doesn't require a downpayment. I've used one of those 'how much house can you afford' sites, but I wanted some input from real people who live there and know how much it costs to drive, eat, etc. in addition to the housing costs. A house isn't enjoyable if you're eating ramen every night to afford it.

IL property taxes are pretty bad, about two years ago our mortgage jumped up over $100 because of a tax increase. :/

Old 05-07-2017, 09:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmorecops View Post
Thanks everyone! This will definitely help me start narrowing my focus.

My husband is a veteran so we use a VA loan, which doesn't require a downpayment. I've used one of those 'how much house can you afford' sites, but I wanted some input from real people who live there and know how much it costs to drive, eat, etc. in addition to the housing costs. A house isn't enjoyable if you're eating ramen every night to afford it.

IL property taxes are pretty bad, about two years ago our mortgage jumped up over $100 because of a tax increase. :/
Gas is higher than most places in the nation , of course this matters more if you have a longer commute and depends on fuel economy of your car.

It was just announced there will be a new gas tax in CA And increase in car registration fees .

For food it's all over the map . If you are going to be making your own food and buying from grocery stores you'll probably spend around what you might buying at the market near where you live now .
It's possible stuff like produce would actually be cheaper since so much is grown in CA or Mexico so pretty local

You can order off the dollar menu at fast food places or have $200 per person meals at a fancy place .

At restaurants it's common to see prices of like $7 or $8 for a decent beer , $12 or so for cocktail . Of course depends where you go .
There's lots of competition too though so some places will have decent happy hours .. but they are not nearly as good as during the recession .

Sales tax is another one that's pretty high 8.75 percent.. although I don't know what it is where you are .

There are a ton of entertainment options that are cheap or free because of the huge supply of actors, comedians and musicians
You can easily find free events to attend several nights a week .

Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 PM

266 posts, read 271,635 times
Check out Ventura County too, if t commute is doable depending on what part of LA you work in, you may get more bang for the buck on housing.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:35 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Your options definitely open up since you don't have to worry about school districts for kids. And given that you don't care about nightlife and perhaps don't mind living in a quieter area perhaps with fewer amenities, there are definitely a number of solid suburbs that aren't too expensive relatively speaking. Based on your combined income and assuming you've got savings in the high five figure range for a down payment, I'd say you could probably pay up to $600K for a house depending.

Obviously, it depends on where your husband ultimately finds a job, but below are my top recommendations:

Santa Clarita (north LA county)
Simi Valley (northwest LA county)
Chatsworth / Granada Hills (San Fernando Valley which is part of the city of Los Angeles)
Glendora / La Verne / Claremont (east LA county)
Simi Valley is in Ventura County for what it's worth.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
I've used one of those 'how much house can you afford' sites, but I wanted some input from real people who live there and know how much it costs to drive, eat...
Sure hope you don't follow that poster's advice of buying something that's 6 X your annual salary.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Well a lot of it depends on your other expenses, which a large number of people seem to ignore when making huge purchasing. Making 100k/year with zero other debt is MUCH different than having 2 car loans, student loans, and credit card debt. You are only focusing on 1 part of the equation.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Simi Valley is in Ventura County for what it's worth.
Thanks for the correction. My apologies.

I second the recommendation of looking into Ventura County in areas such as Thousand Oaks and Camarillo in addition to Simi Valley if it's within reasonable commuting distance.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
If you're afraid of tax increases, California is the wrong place for you. They just bull rushed a gas tax that will end up costing the median percentile of residents an extra $600-$1200 a year depending on their commutes and class of car owned.

California is also trying to push California Single Payer Health Care. That could end up costing every single worker in the state 1-3% of their income due to taxes as well.

Also California was denied a grant from the Federal government for the bullet train. That could lead to another tax levy in the near future.

Also California is facing the worst pension liabilities crisis in the entire country. That one will also be very costly.

So if you're afraid of even worried about your taxes having an effect on your COL, I'm not sure why you would consider California to be honest.

California makes sense as a state to live if you're an ultra wealthy entrepreneur in tech, film, or government contracts. Also if you work in a union job (CalPERs, CalSTRS). Everyone else could literally experience a much better QOL living elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
I wanted some input from real people who live there and know how much it costs to drive, eat, etc. in addition to the housing costs. A house isn't enjoyable if you're eating ramen every night to afford it.
No tax on groceries, and they're less expensive with more fresh choices. Property tax, figure 1-2% of whatever the purchase price; cannot go higher than that yearly (and goes down if there's a real estate price fall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles