Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Homes in West L.A were available for around the 300s in 1997. I remember posting about this once and people didn't believe me , but it's true. Hard to find something in West L.A around under about $1.2million or so now.

Unfunded liabilities are a real concern. Pension expenses have skyrocketed relatively recently.
Pension costs are now 20% of the general fund.
I moved here 10 years ago and my friends rented a 3 bedroom house in Santa Monica walking distance to the beach for $1800. Try doing that today. Another had a 1 bedroom luxury apartment that was literally on the beach in SM for $1500/mo. Had some other friends slumming it in Venice with even better deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:40 PM

285 posts, read 301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Homes in West L.A were available for around the 300s in 1997. I remember posting about this once and people didn't believe me , but it's true. Hard to find something in West L.A around under about $1.2million or so now.

Unfunded liabilities are a real concern. Pension expenses have skyrocketed relatively recently.
Pension costs are now 20% of the general fund.

How about the wages back then? Weren't they lower as well?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Unfortunately wages in LA haven't gone up half as fast as housing cost. We are paying almost SF/NYC housing costs now and making 50% of the average wage in those cities

Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I moved here 10 years ago and my friends rented a 3 bedroom house in Santa Monica walking distance to the beach for $1800. Try doing that today. Another had a 1 bedroom luxury apartment that was literally on the beach in SM for $1500/mo. Had some other friends slumming it in Venice with even better deals.
Wow yeah can't imagine what a 3bed house would cost in rent now in Santa Monica .

It was just not really as big a deal to live in nicer areas like that back in the day .

Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Wages were lower , but the economy was actually strong due to the tech bubble .
People were making money with internet stocks and day trading .
Housing has definitely gone up a lot more than wages .

Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmorecops View Post
So, like a lot of people, I would like to move to the greater Los Angeles area. I'm 36, married, no kids but we have two dogs. I work remotely, so my job will come with me. We absolutely would not move until my husband has a job secured.

I know that housing is expensive, and being from Illinois it's hard for me to get past the sticker shock. So I want to know from people who live there and have bought a house/could buy a house: how much do you actually need to make to afford to buy a house in a decent neighborhood/suburb? I know to expect smaller houses with smaller yards, all I need is a back yard big enough for my dogs to poop in, and at least two bedrooms because like I said, I work from home. Right now our combined gross income is ~100k, if he finds a position equal to what he's doing here, his income will go up, but mine won't since i'll be taking the job with me.

Also, where would you actually buy a house? If my husband is looking for a job, obviously it would be better for him to apply to jobs that are semi-close to where we would want to live. We don't drink and don't care about nightlife, currently I live in the middle of nowhere so I have thoughts like, "It would be nice to live within an hour of a Whole Foods.", so i'm not really set on anything except not getting stabbed.
There are barely any suburbs of the type you are no doubt familiar with, in our coastal urban megacities. Places like that are limited to parts of BH, WLA, and equivalents here in the Bay Area etc. Our "suburbs" are simply overflow from the main cities which are themselves a mixture of urban and "less urban" (typically sprawl that grew out from the old street car suburbs of the early 20th Century).

On top of that, with land prices being what they are meanwhile home most improvements are negative ROI due to contractor gauging coupled with generally overpriced everything, there is very little incentive for us homeowners to create wonderful up to date homes. People who do that are either caught up in keeping up with the Joneses or are so aesthetically driven they don't look at the ROI.

There you have it, welcome to (coastal) California.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I would imagine IT. Most bloggers don't even make $100/month. There are a lot of IT jobs that can be done remote. The only downside is that they can also be done remote by someone in India who will work for $5/hr
Plus some companies no longer invest in office space. Easier and much, much cheaper to set a person up with laptop, company smart phone and VOIP.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Plus some companies no longer invest in office space. Easier and much, much cheaper to set a person up with laptop, company smart phone and VOIP.
I imagine eventually a lot of office .. and probably retail space (kmart ,sears ) will be repurposed as housing mixed in places like L.A .

Example here of 2 developments in the works in Panorama City

Faded Panorama City neighborhood set to get two mixed-use developments

Tons of crappy little strip centers around the area too on Roscoe blvd , Van Nuys blvd etc .

Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Its possible to find places like this, but they're in outlying areas. You should really consider something more urban (*cough cough a condo/townhouse with one bedroom and no yard*.)

What I found:
Long Beach:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...21233705_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...21233075_zpid/

Eagle Rock/Highland Park:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...20772719_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles