Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 17,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Lived in the Valley for years, I don't recall seeing billboards like that.

How do you get 70% of your rent covered up north and plan on paying for rents in West LA which will be higher than other places?
Good point. There's a possibility of me staying somewhere in West LA for short time, for cheap! Rent. But that's not for sure.

I plan on taking all the money I have getting an apartment. Or

I plan on getting a job hopefully right away as an Administrative Assistant which will hopefully pay for my rent.

Maybe I'm trying to force life for what I want, and hoping.

But I am risk taker and believe in going for what I want. And I just really think LA is so much more fun and it offers more of the same interests that I have. Like warm beaches, acting sometimes for fun, good food, fitness, love Westwood village, etc.

Guess it makes better sense to hold off on what I prefer. And save more money while I have this opportunity.

Dang it. Lol. I miss LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itssunnyhere View Post
G
But I am risk taker and believe in going for what I want.
I don't mean to be rude, but have you considered that being a "risk taker" might be why you have ended up needing public support to pay for housing? It doesn't sound like "going for what you want" worked out too well when you moved to the Bay area.

I replied in your other thread as well, but maybe instead of "taking a risk" and "going for what you want" again, take things a little slower this time around.

Get some additional job skills under your belt that would be attractive to LA employers and allow you to earn enough in LA to support yourself there (LA is less expensive than the Bay area, but still a tough place to live on an Administrative Assistant's salary). At the same time, save up more money for your moving expenses, and to cover any emergencies after your move.

In short, put together a plan that will help you get where you want to be (LA) in a way that sets you up for success, not continued struggle. LA isn't going anywhere.

Sometimes being patient and "planning for what I want" is better than just jumping in blindly because you want it NOW.

Best wishes!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itssunnyhere View Post
Good point. There's a possibility of me staying somewhere in West LA for short time, for cheap! Rent. But that's not for sure.

I plan on taking all the money I have getting an apartment. Or

I plan on getting a job hopefully right away as an Administrative Assistant which will hopefully pay for my rent.

Maybe I'm trying to force life for what I want, and hoping.

But I am risk taker and believe in going for what I want. And I just really think LA is so much more fun and it offers more of the same interests that I have. Like warm beaches, acting sometimes for fun, good food, fitness, love Westwood village, etc.

Guess it makes better sense to hold off on what I prefer. And save more money while I have this opportunity.

Dang it. Lol. I miss LA
Yes, save more money.

If you're open to a roommate situation, that's a way of living where you want but at a lower cost. The thing is you will have to have a job lined up, as any roommate wants to know you can pay your share of the rent, or you have enough in savings to show them you can rent for the next 6 months while you look for work.

Best of luck.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 AM

18 posts, read 17,501 times
Quote:

How do you get 70% of your rent covered up north and plan on paying for rents in West LA which will be higher than other places?

Good point, I planned on trying to find a cheap room for rent. Not successful so far.

Taking everything I have to try to find an apartment to rent. And find a job right away hopefully as an Administrative Assistant.

The rent so far is about $1500or $1600 starting, but I did find a couple that were only $1400 but it was rented fast.

But Ineed to be living there to find those.

I guess I'm hoping. But I hate to have to live here one more year but it may have to be that way so I can save more money.

Darn it. Lol, i miss LA

Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You are acting too much on emotion right now. You need to sit down and formulate a plan and act on the plan to make the move over time. It doesn't need to be yesterday. That is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Setting your emotions aside, let me apply some raw logic.

Moving from a subsidized (and frankly appalling) housing situation into one of the nation's most expensive neighborhoods with hopes of secure a AA position is a terrible idea.

Your romanticism of West LA will quickly fade as you struggle to make ends meet. Your need for cheap housing situation will be very difficult to sort. You'll have to beat out 100 other applicants aggressively looking to claim both your housing situation and desired AA position.

My advice is to not voluntarily put yourself in this position. LA is no longer a place where financially rocky households can move and survive. Considering your situation, moving to LA would not be taking a risk...it would just be plain unwise.

So build your resume, save up, and reassess.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Not sure if West LA is the best place for you. How about Downtown Long Beach?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

another wow be me story; only this time it is her who needs the help financial help.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Not sure if West LA is the best place for you. How about Downtown Long Beach?
How about not Long Beach? What, you want to send your issues there or something?

Old 05-27-2017, 10:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How about not Long Beach? What, you want to send your issues there or something?
Recently I've been hearing how great Long Beach is. From people who've discovered it over the last couple years. Very affordable, relatively calm, incomes from high to low, diverse, a sense of community, warm, (not hot) scenic, and oceanside. Interesting because Long Beach used to = gangs.

If the OP's interested in the entertainment industry

Snoop Dogg
Richard Bach
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ch,_California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles