Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Bob, I have never doubted your tenacity and determination. If you recall, despite being FOS (according to you), I was a C-D supporter of your leash-law efforts. However, what good does it do by putting up signs if no one obeys them? People are still letting their dogs roam free despite the signs. The posted speed limit on our freeways is 65 mph, but how many people obey it? You can't realistically expect the LAPD to ignore other calls for service just to arrest people for fireworks violations. In other words, people are going to do what they want to do, despite all the laws you throw at them. I know better than anyone else on this forum. I lived it for 40 years.

Exactly, someone has "control issues".

The only other humans besides yourself that you can have control over are your minor children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
The last thing we need is more laws and regulations. We have plenty of those already and few people to enforce what we have. Calling the Police Chief is not going to solve anything. I don't think it would be the best use of someone at that levels time.

My brother in law is on the LAPD and going after illegal fireworks is not something that he is overly concerned about. He has some real bad people that he is interested in taking off the streets.

Here is an idea: Since it is difficult to enforce, maybe a more awesome solution is to create areas where people can come and light their own fireworks. Set some ground rules, such as personal responsibility. You get hurt that is your problem. You hurt someone else than that is your problem. I don't think it will ever stop.

In Ventura County you can go to the city of Fillmore and buy them. The only problem with the Fireworks you can buy in Fillmore is that they stay on the ground. You have people driving to Mexico to get the good fireworks.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Bob, I have never doubted your tenacity and determination. If you recall, despite being FOS (according to you), I was a C-D supporter of your leash-law efforts. However, what good does it do by putting up signs if no one obeys them? People are still letting their dogs roam free despite the signs. The posted speed limit on our freeways is 65 mph, but how many people obey it? You can't realistically expect the LAPD to ignore other calls for service just to arrest people for fireworks violations. In other words, people are going to do what they want to do, despite all the laws you throw at them. I know better than anyone else on this forum. I lived it for 40 years.
As with the leash law, I don't expect a complete end to illegal fireworks, just some good old enforcement to put a huge dent in the illegal use that is now prevalent in our neighborhoods.
One more reason, I want to speak with my city councilman.
Stricter enforcement, and much stricter penalties need to be put in place so that the penalty for being caught would be a definite deterrent to their illegal use.
I am aware the courts determine sentencing guidelines, but hopefully with the council on board, the guidelines would be more in line with other crimes in the area.

People, including those in law enforcement do not look at fireworks as a serious matter, but actually they are.
It would only take one spark in a hillside area to cause a catastrophic event, where many homes , and some lives could be lost.

You yourself stated above, "what good does it do to place signs in parks, if no body obeys them?"
The same could be said of the LAPD, the city council, and the fire department, when they have mailers sent out warning of the dangers of fireworks.
No one pays attention to them.

Again, what is needed is stricter enforcement,and penalties for people using illegal fireworks.
Perhaps what is missing in these city mailers is "If you are caught using illegal fireworks in the city of Los Angles, you will be find $1000.00 for each offense, and jail time, up to one year for a first offense, and back that up with much stricter enforcement.

I could go on , and on about this, but it would be just re-hashing what I have already said.
More police could be used to enforce the laws.
Money obviously is not the problem, when the council can vote 2 million dollars of taxpayer money, to defend illegal aliens if they are being deported.
That money could be better spent on a special group of police (perhaps 15 or 20 officers) whose sole duty would be to patrol our neighborhoods, and arrest those using illegal fireworks.

Bob.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:30 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Bob, keep us here on C-D in the loop on how all this pans out.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:04 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I also know someone who works at the LAPD, and believe me, fireworks are not exactly their priority. The real problem is with our society. Somehow we now have adults who think the laws don't apply to them, so they don't comply. If enough people act like this, there is no way to control all of them unless you really want to crack down and take away the freedoms we enjoy now. Jails are a revolving door. I don't even know if lighting up illegal fireworks is misdemeanor or a felony. Even if 10% of these offenders are arrested and jailed, then what? The others are still out there, and pets all over the city are still traumatized. I don't like fireworks either, but realistically speaking, this is a problem that isn't going to go away soon.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I also know someone who works at the LAPD, and believe me, fireworks are not exactly their priority. The real problem is with our society. Somehow we now have adults who think the laws don't apply to them, so they don't comply. If enough people act like this, there is no way to control all of them unless you really want to crack down and take away the freedoms we enjoy now. Jails are a revolving door. I don't even know if lighting up illegal fireworks is misdemeanor or a felony. Even if 10% of these offenders are arrested and jailed, then what? The others are still out there, and pets all over the city are still traumatized. I don't like fireworks either, but realistically speaking, this is a problem that isn't going to go away soon.
I do agree there has been a breakdown in society . I think a big issue is the breakdown of families .
There are a high amount of children born out of wedlock and also to parents that divorce .

If you look at these cases of criminals and gangbangers it's a pretty common story that things are not good at home .

Many point to poverty but I think the bigger issue is the family issues. It's just more politically incorrect to talk about it though.

I doubt even 1 percent of people actually get caught for illegal fireworks . I have only heard of people caught for selling them, but not setting them off .

Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Bob, have you looked into the noise cancellation speakers?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
In Connecticut they are trying to stop 4th of July fireworks because it is bothering some nesting eagles.
It also disturbs vets with PTSD.
"imagine there's no fireworks"

Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
In Connecticut they are trying to stop 4th of July fireworks because it is bothering some nesting eagles.
It also disturbs vets with PTSD.
"imagine there's no fireworks"
That would be a dream come true.
If that were the case here in LosAngeles, the cops would come out and shoot the eagles.

Bob.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:11 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
That would be a dream come true.
If that were the case here in LosAngeles, the cops would come out and shoot the eagles.

Bob.
I was wondering why we had shotguns in our patrol cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles